Drip coffee maker filters: Melitta vs. Mr. Coffee styles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
My coffee maker broke, one that uses Melitta style coffee filters. A relative had an extra Mr. Coffee coffee maker not being used and gave it to me. I've been using it a while since it came with a 250-pack of filters but I don't like it and I'll replace it when the time is right.

Melitta style filters are conic shaped after you push them into the filter basket, and come flat in the package. Mr. Coffee style filters are circular with a flat bottom and pleated edges, and come stacked. (This is just to get us all on the same page--most people understand the difference between the two styles.)

The main reason I don't like the Mr. Coffee style is that the pleats are sometimes not quite uniform in their folding (generic brand, not made by MC, name brand could be different). Usually this makes no difference but every now and then (perhaps a few or several weeks between incidents) the side folds down and gets wet and the coffee grounds and some of the hot water flow over the edge of the filter and flow directly into the pot. The result is an imperfect pot of coffee, and often with me taking a last sip and getting a mouth full of grounds.

I suppose I could monitor the process, peek in the filter basket and make sure everything is going okay, maybe I could look at the carafe and check for no grounds after brewing. But heck I'm drinking the coffee to wake up! If I were already awake to do these intellectual tasks I wouldn't need the coffee. I prepare the filter, ground coffee and water the night before. All I want to do is wake up in the morning and hit the switch, and I expect a perfect cup of coffee in about 3 minutes.

I know I could get a different type of coffee maker--Keurig comes to mind but I don't like all those different flavors. I buy bean Colombian and grind fresh every few days. It's what I like to drink, and anyway I'm sure a lot cheaper than the Keurig single servings... I could get a wire basket insert, they work fine for coarse grinds but I grind my coffee pretty fine and some sediment always passes through the wire and ends up in the pot.

Plain and simple, I liked my Melitta just fine and it always made a perfect pot of coffee. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was broke! :) I'll probably buy another Melitta whenever I get around to it.

The Melitta filter makes more sense to me. It doesn't matter how much coffee you're making, the coffee always centers itself in the filter because of gravity. The water trickles down on top of it and presume it makes a kind of coffee-water slurry that rises up a bit as hot water flows in and brewed coffee trickles out. When coffee is finished brewing the grounds in the filter are slightly lower in the middle, higher around the edge, but more or less evenly spread out--indicating to me that the brewing process was uniform. With the Mr. Coffee filters I almost always see bare spots across the base of the filter where I presume water dripped out more quickly rather than mixing uniformly with the coffee. And then there's the problem with the occasional dropped edge and imperfect coffee result.

So the question is: Melitta style filters look better than every way to me. I can't think of one single thing that Mr. Coffee style filters do better than Melitta, other than fit in the coffee maker it was designed for.

I'm curious what other folks think about the relative advantages and disadvantages of the different style filters used for Melitta and Mr. Coffee coffee makers.

We have a Cuisinart with a conical basket of "gold plated" mesh. No paper filter required. Works great.

We are stuck with the Mr. Coffee style at our timeshare. I find if I moisten the edges of the filter it sticks to the filter bowl and works fine.

If I needed a new coffee maker, I'd buy the same one again.

I've had to use a Miletta filter, it was purely out of desperation for that morning jolt. Never liked them. Filling them they always wanted to close up.

Maybe it's not so much the filters. Could it be how the coffee is brewed? I won't part with my Bunn. Our old Mr Coffee had a dreadful deliberate accident one day.. May it rest in peace. :angel: :flowers:

Munky.

I haven't ever had Melitta filters close up. I've been using them for dec... er... years! (Yeah, 'years' is the right word.)

Well your Melittas close up and my Mr. Coffees close up...

Take the Mr. Coffee filters and fold them inside out. Just flip the sides down on the entire stack, this serves two purposes. They come apart easier and they don't fold up.

Then when you are ready get a Melitta, again.

The basic problem with auto drip coffee makers is that with very few exceptions, the temperature of the water is too low to get proper extraction.

I also think that conical shaped filters produce superior results. Due to their shape water gets exposed to the grounds for the longest possible time.

Technovorm is an example of an auto-drip maker that brews at the proper 200 degree temperature.

Other methods that allow you to control the brew using higher temperature water include Chemex and Clever pour over brew systems in the $30 dollar range.

@PF: Interesting idea. I'll try that tonight (inside out) for tomorrow's coffee. :)

@4o: I haven't noticed any deficiency in the heat of the water but it's immediately obvious that the hotter the water the better the extraction, the better the coffee.

With the conical filters it's all about the water feed rate, the porosity of the filter, and the size of the exit hole. It's a matter of physics. You and I agree that the physics is against Mr. Coffee, that bad boy! ;)

I'll have a look at your link before I buy a new coffee maker. I have no desire for a brew over system, although I always have my old camping standby, a Melitta filter holder that fits over any carafe or large cup size. I've used it a zillion times camping; it always makes great coffee, except of course you have to stand there and boil water and then pour it bit by bit over the coffee filter.

On the other hand everything always tastes better camping, even the coffee. Although it's a bit bracing to get up before dawn, boil water, pour the coffee and wait for the brew. But worth it! :D

Last edited:
Just FYI I tried it right now (gotta prepare coffee sometime tonight) and I can't see any real difference, but it's worth the experiment. I'll report tomorrow.

And I always have my old Melitta fits-on-anything filter basket and a supply of Melitta filters. If I run out of Mr. Coffee filters I can always go back to boiling water in a pan. Might even try it before, just to check my memory that camping coffee was really that good.

Gotta be something accelerating and exhilarating about waking up in the middle of nowhere surrounded by splendid scenery and magnificent solitude, at dawn, and having a good cup of coffee! I'm not so sure it would work in the big bad city.

I haven't ever had Melitta filters close up. I've been using them for dec... er... years! (Yeah, 'years' is the right word.)

Well your Melittas close up and my Mr. Coffees close up...
I fold the seam on my Melitta filters and then they never close up. Basket type filters can be a nuisance with edges folding over. I also think the Melitta cones make better tasting coffee. I learned to make decent coffee with just the Melitta cone, filter, coffee pot, and a kettle. I have that as backup.

The basic problem with auto drip coffee makers is that with very few exceptions, the temperature of the water is too low to get proper extraction.

I also think that conical shaped filters produce superior results. Due to their shape water gets exposed to the grounds for the longest possible time.

Technovorm is an example of an auto-drip maker that brews at the proper 200 degree temperature.

Other methods that allow you to control the brew using higher temperature water include Chemex and Clever pour over brew systems in the $30 dollar range.

I had one coffee maker that had water that was too hot. It burnt the coffee. DH had to move the thermostat closer to the heating element.

I fold the seam on my Melitta filters and then they never close up. Basket type filters can be a nuisance with edges folding over. I also think the Melitta cones make better tasting coffee. I learned to make decent coffee with just the Melitta cone, filter, coffee pot, and a kettle. I have that as backup.
I think so too. They must have had coffee makers when I moved out of home and got my first apartment but I don't remember them. I had the carafe and the filter holder and Melitta filters. That's how I made my coffee every day. I too think the Melitta makes better coffee but I can't come up with any explicit reason to support my opinion.

I use the setup when camping. I used it on the day of the infamous Northridge quake. (I lived a mile from the epicenter.) I fired up my camping stove and boiled water and had my cup of coffee. Okay the TV didn't work (nor the power, water or gas) but at least I had my coffee. Not that bad a day everything considered--better than the same day but without my coffee.

Does anyone use circular coffee filter packs? I have a Jerdon First Class 2-4 cup coffee maker that uses round coffee pouches, made by Maxwell House. Maxwell House also makes 12 cup coffee filter packs too. They are pricey, but oh so convenient. The coffee tastes great.

I've looked for fillable circular coffee filter pouches on the net, but haven't found any (they make square ones). It would be a lot cheaper to use those if i could find any. I'm not sure they even make them in round shape. The square shaped pouches are no good as my brewing cup is round and the water would drip past the pouch in areas.

Last edited:
I think so too. They must have had coffee makers when I moved out of home and got my first apartment but I don't remember them. I had the carafe and the filter holder and Melitta filters. That's how I made my coffee every day. I too think the Melitta makes better coffee but I can't come up with any explicit reason to support my opinion.

I use the setup when camping. I used it on the day of the infamous Northridge quake. (I lived a mile from the epicenter.) I fired up my camping stove and boiled water and had my cup of coffee. Okay the TV didn't work (nor the power, water or gas) but at least I had my coffee. Not that bad a day everything considered--better than the same day but without my coffee.
Greg, if you are ages with me, the most common method of making coffee was a percolator. Restaurants made coffee with that glass vacuum contraption. It makes good coffee, the percolator, not so much.

I've used both, and have for the past twenty years used an old Revere Ware Drip-O-Lator. Stainless steel, copper clad bottom, heat the water in a kettle and pour through. It can be used without paper filters and works just fine that way, but I often use paper basket-type filters. Either way the coffee is excellent. Probably helps that I roast my own as I need it, no more than three days ahead.

Greg, if you are ages with me, the most common method of making coffee was a percolator. Restaurants made coffee with that glass vacuum contraption. It makes good coffee, the percolator, not so much.
Reading your posts for the last several or dozen months there's no doubt you and I are of a close cohort. :) I can't recall owning a percolator but I must have at one time. At some point in my 20s I became enamored of fresh ground coffee beans and drip and filter, and I've stuck with it ever since. I tried a French press (that what you meant?) but me and it didn't hit it off. Used it only once.

Probably helps that I roast my own as I need it, no more than three days ahead.
I'd love to try that some day too--roasting my own. Fresh ground is so much better than pre-ground that I can only imagine that fresh roasted and fresh ground must be a whole bunch better! I guess I'm lazy, I grind only every 5 days to a week. It's always better the first day.

Reading your posts for the last several or dozen months there's no doubt you and I are of a close cohort. :) I can't recall owning a percolator but I must have at one time. At some point in my 20s I became enamored of fresh ground coffee beans and drip and filter, and I've stuck with it ever since. I tried a French press (that what you meant?) but me and it didn't hit it off. Used it only once.
No, I didn't mean a French press, though I like the coffee a French press makes. You have to use very coarsely ground coffee, make sure your water isn't too hot (stopped boiling for 10 seconds is usually good enough), stir, and then let it sit for a few minutes before pressing. Don't drink the very bottom unless you like sediment in your coffee. ;)

I meant a vacuum coffee maker:

170px-Vacpot2.jpg

You put the water in the bottom and the ground coffee in the top. You put it on the stove, and when the water is hot enough, it rises through the tube into the top container. When it has been in the top for a few minutes, you take it off the heat and the vacuum sucks the coffee back down into the bottom container. Then you take off the top and serve from the bottom container. There is a strainer in the top portion.

With a percolator the coffee in the bottom heats and spurts into the top with the ground beans. Then it falls through the strainer to the bottom and gets heated again. You let it continue doing this until it is strong enough. I think the continual re-boiling of the coffee is why perked coffee isn't very nice.

I had a glass Pyrex percolator for years. You could see how strong the coffee was and shut it off at the right time. I have also had the vacumn coffee maker. And the electric plug in perolator that shut off at just the right moment. Have also used the old campfire one. Put the grounds in the bottom with a pinch of salt, fill with water and place on the campfire to boil. Don't be the one to get the last cup.

I now have a MC that was given to me as a present. When this one goes, (and it will) I want to get a Melita type one. I had that cone for the individual cup. and I loved it. It made great coffee.

Have you ever had a cup of coffede that was so good you drank it right down and went back for seconds immediately? :yum:

I had a glass Pyrex percolator for years. You could see how strong the coffee was and shut it off at the right time. I have also had the vacumn coffee maker. And the electric plug in perolator that shut off at just the right moment. Have also used the old campfire one. Put the grounds in the bottom with a pinch of salt, fill with water and place on the campfire to boil. Don't be the one to get the last cup.

I now have a MC that was given to me as a present. When this one goes, (and it will) I want to get a Melita type one. I had that cone for the individual cup. and I loved it. It made great coffee.

Have you ever had a cup of coffede that was so good you drank it right down and went back for seconds immediately? :yum:

Every day! I love my Keurig. I have had every type of coffee pot there is, the Keurig is perfect for how we drink coffee now. If we have visitors, I still have my percolator and several other pots hanging around. I did get rid of the drip coffee maker.

Back
Top Bottom