Girls night out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love a good pasta salad to go with hamburgers/ hotdogs. I don't think a diet will matter. Most people on diets either break it for a party, eat beforehand or "make do" with what they are served (i.e making a salad from the fixings or foregoing the bread) If you are trying to make it special your list of 'fixings" is good, I would be pleased to find all of the different options I could do with my burger/ hotdog to dress it up! I also would be just as happy with what I consider "normal" toppings which include ketchup, mayo, mustard, tomatoes, lettuce, slaw, chili, and onions.

It would be nice if they had some consideration to at least R.S.V.P. 30-70? That's a lot of work, time and expense for you. Don't take it personally. That's just a pet peeve of mine. Nothing is worse than not knowing. It's rude!

I'd say if your on a diet bring your own. Especially if your one that just shows up at the last minute. That will learn em'. Keep it simple as possible.

Munky.

believe, I wish I could do that.:LOL:

Thank you everybody.

I am not concern about desert or drinks that will be taken care of. My wife makes excellent deserts. And drinks are simple.
As far as amount of stuff we want to have, I know it is too much, but this is not just a simple picnic or even simple birthday. It is Bat Mitzvah, the most important birthday for a girl. We would like to make it really nice, make it different, really special, without doing crazy things like renting a hole with a caterer, band, etc. Thank G-d my daughter understands that we are not made of money and specifically came and told us that she just wants simple BBQ. Sides are not that expensive and we can cut everything up ourselves.
We got the idea from Fuddruckers, they have tons of sides, looks really cool.

The only question is Salads. And Also should I make French fries or just have bunch of different chips?

Thank you everybody.

I am not concern about desert or drinks that will be taken care of. My wife makes excellent deserts. And drinks are simple.
As far as amount of stuff we want to have, I know it is too much, but this is not just a simple picnic or even simple birthday. It is Bat Mitzvah, the most important birthday for a girl. We would like to make it really nice, make it different, really special, without doing crazy things like renting a hole with a caterer, band, etc. Thank G-d my daughter understands that we are not made of money and specifically came and told us that she just wants simple BBQ. Sides are not that expensive and we can cut everything up ourselves.
We got the idea from Fuddruckers, they have tons of sides, looks really cool.

The only question is Salads. And Also should I make French fries or just have bunch of different chips?

Voting no to the fries!

Got it. You want this to be a really fancy BBQ.

For salads, how about: A nice mixed fruit salad, watermelon, honeydew, pineapple, grapes, etc., maybe with a honey lime ginger dressing. Ooh! In a pretty hollowed out watermelon basket! That yummy ramen salad with bok choy and lotsa sesame seeds and toasted almonds. Carrot coleslaw with raisins. Cranberry apple salad.

Last edited:

+2

Congratulations to your daughter Charlie. She sounds like a lovely and sensible child to be proud of. :):)

Marcaroni or potato salad would be a good side. The macaroni would be less expensive and less work. You already have all the ingredients. Just one word of advice. If you make something that has onion mixed in, dice the onion really small. It is needed for the flavor, but a lot of folks don't care for raw onion. Diced really small, they don't even know it is in there. Just don't use too much. A little goes a long way. Enjoy the day. :chef:

I've gotten a chuckle at some of the suggestions. This is a special party/picnic for 11-12 year old girls! For one in particular, it is a very special event. I don't know about you folks, but we always planned food for the age group of my daughter when having a birthday party/special occasion for her. Some of the stuff suggested would get a "turned up nose" reaction from most of that age group. Just something to consider.;)

I've gotten a chuckle at some of the suggestions. This is a special party/picnic for 11-12 year old girls! For one in particular, it is a very special event. I don't know about you folks, but we always planned food for the age group of my daughter when having a birthday party/special occasion for her. Some of the stuff suggested would get a "turned up nose" reaction from most of that age group. Just something to consider.;)

My kids had eaten squid with rice, calamari, escargot, frogs legs, etc., by the time they were 6 years old, and younger. It depends on the family. I made the mistake of promising that I would make them whatever meal they wanted on their birthday, figuring that it would be less costly than taking a pack of kids, with friends, to some fast food place. And then I taught them at a very early age what good food was. There were a few of those birthday meals that cost upwards of $70 to $90, for 6 people, and that was back in the 1980's.

But I agree that the food should be geared toward the person whose birthday is being celebrated. I did the same thing for my daughters when they got married. Everyone at the receptions had good food. But the bride and groom got special food, 5-star class food, especially as I was catering each reception. That helps hold the cost down, a little, but mostly, I did that so that my daughters, and their husbands knew that it was their day, and that I was giving them my best on that day.

Your daughter will appreciate that you planned the meal around her, and she will love you all the more for it.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

So true. I can't count how many parties I have been to for a child, and it all about the grownups. What they will eat and drink. Most kids I know do not like raw onions or any food that is hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
CharlieD. : CHICKEN & BEEF KEBABS ON SKEWERS

:) Good Evening Charlie,

Firstly, considering that your 12 year old daugher is going to be celebrating a bespoke & memorable moment, her first real major party and social event, in her life, such as non religious parents make, Sweet 16 parties or in South America and Latin America, a Quiñcena, for the 15th birthday of gals; a touch of something extraordinaire and special in elegance is needed ...

Hamburgers, hotdogs --- cool for a BBQ, however, squeeze in some:

KEBABS, chicken, beef or even lamb on skewers ! They make such a lovely statement ... They look stunning too with cherry tomatoes, and a piece of gold bell pepper or green bell or red bell, olives and onion on the grill BBq ...

Roast Chicken is always delicious as well ... and can be eaten at any temperature too ...

Serve with Shatta, a Yemenite Israeli Harissa Semi Piqante Chili Dip and Caesarean Port Relish ... and Ketchup or Eggplant Caponata -- a baked eggplant dip with capers, olives and tomato !

:) Kind regards and keep us posted.

Margi. Cintrano.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom