Bagna Caoda TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I love this and was wondering what you use to put it together and what you use as the veggies? I love fennel, celery hearts sliced zucchini, cauliflour, broccoli, cut up, red and yellow sweet peppers, radishes, thin asparagus for the Bagna Caoda I mix butter,evoo, minced anchovies and pepper. Care to share your ideas with me
kadesma

bagna Caoda? TNT

Dear Kadesma, my father's family comes from Piedmont, which is the homeland of bagna caoda. Since my childhood, the bagna cauda has been a pivotal event in our family life. A long, happy dinner, full of joy and rich in garlic and anchovies smell. Currently my uncle (he is half Neapolitan and half Lombard, but nobody is perfect...) carries on the tradition, with superb mastery. It is not simply a recipe: it's a sort of religious event.
In the years, I'v seen endless varieties of vegetable and meat served for the bagna cauda. The ones which are always present, anyway, are the following:
  • Jerusalem artichoke
  • Cauliflower
  • Bell pepper
  • Cardoon
  • Celery
  • Leek
  • Spring onion
  • Potato
Then some meat is served too, usually a beef carpaccio and some boiled beef, diced.

At the end of the bagna cauda, my uncle serves a warm vegetable broth to help his guests survive till the next day.

Thank you Kadesma, for the chance you gave me to talk about this subject. :)

Last edited:
Dear Kadesma, my father's family comes from Piedmont, which is the homeland of bagna caoda. Since my childhood, the bagna cauda has been a pivotal event in our family life. A long, happy dinner, full of joy and rich in garlic and anchovies smell. Currently my uncle (he is half Neapolitan and half Lombard, but nobody is perfect...) carries on the tradition, with superb mastery. It is not simply a recipe: it's a sort of religious event.
In the years, I'v seen endless varieties of vegetable and meat served for the bagna cauda. The ones which are always present, anyway, are the following:
  • Jerusalem artichoke
  • Cauliflower
  • Bell pepper
  • Cardoon
  • Celery
  • Leek
  • Spring onion
  • Potato
Then some meat is served too, usually a beef carpaccio and some boiled beef, diced.

At the end of the bagna cauda, my uncle serves a warm vegetable broth to help his guests survive till the next day.

Thank you Kadesma, for the chance you gave me to talk about this subject. :)
You're welcome and thank you for cardoon. I've loved that stuff for years. My best friends mom use to make it for us and I'd eat till I was almost sick:yum: I think it's just about my favorite veggie. How do you serve it? She use to de-stri ng it, then dip in egg and then bread crumbs saute oh geez my mouth is watering just trying to describe it and how wonderful it wasss.
kades

Kadesma, Good Morning,

My Grandmom used to make Bagna Cauda at her restaurant, and here is her recipe and the veggies she used:

Bagna Cauda di Piemonte

1 Cup Evoo
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
12 Fresh Garlic Cloves Thinly Sliced
2 ounces Rinsed and Finely Chopped Anchovies in Olive Oil Drained
1/2 stick unsalted butter
salt to taste ( cautions with anchovies ) and freshly grinded black pepper

The veggies:

1 or 2 cardoon root ( thistle family )
chicory
endive
2 red bell peppers
2 gold bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
Uncured Ham Slices
celery stalks

1. sauté the Evoo ( olive oil extra virgin ) and garlic slices about 20 mins.
2. add half the cream and stir until well combined
3. add anchovies and sauté 2 mins.
4. add butter and remaining cream and simmer 8 minutes
5. arrange sliced veggies on a platter and serve crusty warm bread
6. pour the bagna cauda in a fondue pot

Nice idea ... Interesting post.
Margi.

Last edited:
Kadesma.

Cardoon root season is December through February in Spain, and I love it ... Of course, it is a bit laborious to peel the stringy covering however, I make a Navarran Pyrenee Cardoon Root Cream Soup with Almonds from it ...

I posted it in Vegetables, if memory serves me correctly; called Cardoon Soup if you are interested back in January 2012 when I joined ... It is a Basque tradition ...

Margi.

You just heard from the experts. I'm an expert at slurping it up! I used to eat it at an Italian club here. I prefer the one WITHOUT the cream, and my favorite dippers are steamed cabbage & cauliflower and torn strips of Italian bread.

Kadesma.

Cardoon root season is December through February in Spain, and I love it ... Of course, it is a bit laborious to peel the stringy covering however, I make a Navarran Pyrenee Cardoon Root Cream Soup with Almonds from it ...

I posted it in Vegetables, if memory serves me correctly; called Cardoon Soup if you are interested back in January 2012 when I joined ... It is a Basque tradition ...

Margi.
Thank you Margi,
I'll take a look and save the recipe til next season when I can get Cardoon fro the grocer.
kades:yum:

You just heard from the experts. I'm an expert at slurping it up! I used to eat it at an Italian club here. I prefer the one WITHOUT the cream, and my favorite dippers are steamed cabbage & cauliflower and torn strips of Italian bread.
Hi Connie,
me too no cream and the slurping yummers:yum:
kades

Thank you. Will save this and give it a try when the cardi come into season again. Plus I want to string,cook in salted water after they are very tender dip some in egg, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese then fry in veggie oil til golden and crispy and serve with lemon wedges. I talked to my friend who's mom use to make these for us. Hope you get a chance to try this. It is yummy
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom