Hemochromatosis and Weight Loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJKirk

Assistant Cook
Great to be back today. Anyone know or heard of this blood disease? Well, I was diagnosed with it 4 years ago, its an iron overload in your body. If not kept under control can shut down all your major organs. I do have recipes that I perfected so I eat eat as normal as possible but the iron levels at a very mininiumal. Let me know Oh yes, this helps in weight loss also.

Yes I've heard of this and my friend Saucey (a member of this forum) has it. I seemed to remember she was better on a vegetarian diet and had to cut out alcohol for a while. I'll ask her for more information to share with you.

Hemachromotosis and Weight Loss

I did not cut out my meats.... i learned which iron was good for me the nonheme or heme and found additional foods that counteract the iron...in other words flush the iron from your system. Black tea is a good source for this. My biggest problem was the phlebotomies draining me of my energy.. and my weight went up and down.

Hemachromotosis and Weight Loss

There are foods and drinks that will take the iron out of your body. You need the opposite. Tea and coffee, is normally in all my recipes for the reason to reduce the iron in my body.

My freind has polycythemia. I think are similar right? He eats a pretty normal diet but has trasnfusions weekly. He is in his 50's and still can bench press in the 500's.

I have never heard of this. My problem is the opposite (anemia). Thank you for enlightening us!

Me too. I have a bottle of liquid iron. I am supposed to take a tsp. each day. That is nasty tasting stuff. So I put it in an eight ounce glass of water. It is the only way I can get it down. :)

A dear friend of mine had the genetic version of this. He developed diabetes and acute leukemia. Sadly, the bone marrow transplant failed. He lived with this for 57 years. His mother also suffered from it and, if I recall, died shortly after he was born because she had to go into surgery and temps are elevated to begin with with this? Or, maybe I confused this with s/thing else? Anyway, my friend's mom died from complications long before doctors knew how to treat it and what to recommend. It is so encouraging to read your posts and know that progress is being made with this. I have so many friends who suffer from iron deficiency, one often forgets that being on the other end of the spectrum can cause problems as well.

Back
Top Bottom