Dirty ice a cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dengirl

Assistant Cook
Am going to try a new recipe that I found online and it says to dirty ice the cake and I do t know what this is can someone explain. Thanks

Its a layer you put on before you put the fancy fondant on it. Its to seal in all the crumbs. Just a thin layer of icing, really watery type and then it will dry so the fondant can stick better.

Alix said:
Its a layer you put on before you put the fancy fondant on it. Its to seal in all the crumbs. Just a thin layer of icing, really watery type and then it will dry so the fondant can stick better.

I hate to sound dumb. But I am a step by step girl :) do you have a quick recipe of icing for me to put on for me to use?

Are you going to put a fondant layer on top? The fancy decoration stuff? Or do you just want to slap some icing on your cake and call it dessert?

Alix said:
Are you going to put a fondant layer on top? The fancy decoration stuff? Or do you just want to slap some icing on your cake and call it dessert?

Actually no. It's calling for a butter frosting. It's a carrot cake I found online.

Dengirl said:
Actually no. It's calling for a butter frosting. It's a carrot cake I found online.

Browned Butter Carrot Cake

I know, the last thing we need is yet another carrot cake recipe, but browned butter brings a whole new level of complexity and flavor to any recipe and this one is no exception. If you like rich buttery flavor, the browned butter brings out such a rich quality to this cake.

By: Leilani
Not reviewed yet
login to rate | 1 people have saved this recipe

Ingredients
US Metric

CAKE
1 pound carrots, grated
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups canola (or safflower) oil
1/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
FROSTING
2 sticks of unsalted butter (room temperature)
16 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of sea salt
3-4 cups icing/powdered sugar
GARNISH
1/4 cups shredded coconut, toasted

http://cookinghawaiianstyle.com/hawaiian-recipes?view=recipes&layout=detail&id=2017#content

Last edited by a moderator:
Crumb coating (I actually haven't heard the term "dirty icing" but Alix is right on with her definition) is just a coat of thinned down buttercream (or whatever you are using). It is like a primer coat of paint and should be done on any cake whether you use fondant, buttercream, cream cheese or whatever over top. You will certainly be happy with the results if you do this.

Dengirl said:
Browned Butter Carrot Cake

I know, the last thing we need is yet another carrot cake recipe, but browned butter brings a whole new level of complexity and flavor to any recipe and this one is no exception. If you like rich buttery flavor, the browned butter brings out such a rich quality to this cake.

By: Leilani
Not reviewed yet
login to rate | 1 people have saved this recipe

Ingredients
US Metric

CAKE
1 pound carrots, grated
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups canola (or safflower) oil
1/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
FROSTING
2 sticks of unsalted butter (room temperature)
16 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of sea salt
3-4 cups icing/powdered sugar
GARNISH
1/4 cups shredded coconut, toasted
http://cookinghawaiianstyle.com/hawaiian-recipes?view=recipes&layout=detail&id=2017#content

I just copied it from website so u can get an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so what I would do is make a cream cheese frosting and ignore the statement "dirty ice".

Put about 1/2 block of cream cheese in your bowl, add in about 3/4 cup icing sugar (confectioners sugar...the powdery stuff) and then beat it up with your mixer. Add little dribbles of milk to make it nice and smooth. Plop large blobs of icing on the cake and when you're spreading the icing don't spread it too thin or you'll pick up crumbs in your icing.

If you're determined to use a quick glaze under your actual frosting (to avoid getting any crumbs in the icing) you can just mix about 1/2 cup of icing sugar with some milk. Add enough milk that the mixture looks about the same consistency as white glue or a bit thinner. Pour that over your cake and let it sit to get a crust on it. Then you can frost with whatever you like afterward.

Good luck! Hope that was a bit helpful. You might want to search on youtube for some instructional videos too. Sometimes they have good stuff.

Thank you do much! I'll let you all know how it turned out :)

Dengirl said:
Thank you do much! I'll let you all know how it turned out :)

I finally made the cake this weekend for my husbands birthday. It is now my favorite recipe for carrot cake. Yum yum yum. I say everyone should try it :)

Back
Top Bottom