I need a stand mixer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Pizza Making forum many recommend the Bosch Universal mixer, just short of recommending small commercial mixers. I remember reading something like a 15 lb dough capacity with the Bosch unit.
The larger KA mixers don't seem to fare too well with large batches of pizza dough among that crowd of pizza making fanatics. :)

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Five kg of dough, only 2.6 kg of flour. Is yours a soft yeast dough? You suggested it was "brick like killerbread".

Yeah, I meant 3kg total dough, not just flour :)
And with ir being extra tough, I figured a 5kg limit ahould be ok.

I'm using it for bread baking mainly, and it usually starts getting real hot and burnt smelling after only 6-7 minutes on low speed.
Everyone else I've talked to has the same experience with low wattage and bread dough aswell.
(I might mention that I come from a culture of super healthy brick like killerbread)

Anything else the KA handles just fine though.

I looked at Hobarts, and I'd have to get rich first for those, so I need something while I wait.

What about brands like Viking, Cuisinart and that stuff? Just as mediocre as KA?

Maybe not....I picked up a Hobart N50, used, in a thrift store for $7.00. Just the bare mixer, it's cost another couple hundred to dress it, but I buy used where I can, so it has most of the bells and whistles. It was still less than anything useful, new. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find what you need.

Holy fjusk, bakechef, you're right! And the one justplainbill linked to aswell!

That's really confusing. How can they "pose" as several brands like that? It's not a very good marketing strategy o_O

They are licensed for a high fee by the maker to make it under their brand. Just like Sears Kennmore products are licensed by RCA Whirpool. Same product, different name. And usually less expensive than the original. :)

Thanks for all the response! :)
Everyones experiences is appreciated!
If or when you get one you like, please let me/us know. I would like to get one my self. I might have some present comming end of the year, and that is my goal to get really good stand up mixer. I have not started looking yet, but maybe i can use your experience. Thank you for this thread.

Will do, CharlieD! :)

I read pretty poor reviews on the Kenwood-posers, so that's a no go.

On the other hand, I now see the KA commercial has 990W. I was just a little confused there by all the places saying 500W. Turns out that was a gov UL test deal, and 990W are the real peak wattage.
Almost $800 though..

gadzooks: wooow! I've never been to a thrift store yet. Maybe it's time to start :D

Bill, is this the one you have?
No Charlie.
Although the Waring's capacities appear respectable for the price, it's-
- Made in China
- Utilizes a cogged belt drive
- Does not appear to have a horizontal drive port for accessories like meat grinders.
I'm making do with a 1950's KitchenAid 4C sold under the Montgomery Ward label. I use the 4C with several accessories that fit the KA's horizontal drive.
For heavier tasks I use a 750 watt / 1 HP Waring Big Stik (WSB50) variable speed immersion blender with a 12" shaft.
Most all of our breads are made in smaller batches by hand in a 5.5 Litre bowl.

From what I've read, the Waring does have the horizontal drive port in the front, it is just hidden behind a more decorative door. The entire top section is hinged, and there is another port for a blender attachment. They don't sell Waring branded accessories, but they do sell them under the Cuisinart brand. There is a meat grinder, pasta maker, juicer, blender etc..

The Cuisinart is rated at 1000 watts, and the Waring commercial is 850 watts (I don't put much stock in this number). I wonder if the Waring has a different more robust motor (it's rated at 1 HP, where the Cusinart doesn't have HP rating in any description that I've seen)? The Waring is also rated NSF.

Last edited:
If that 1000 watt rating was accurate, I would think that Cuisinart, Viking, etc.. would brag about it.

Funny, my N50 is rated at only 1/6 horsepower, which looks a lot like not much. But it's speed is not controlled by a rheostat, like other counter top mixers. The motor turns at a constant speed, and the mixing speed is governed by a 3 speed planetary transmission. Turn it off to shift gears...no clutch. Doesn't seem to matter how much of what I put in it, it just goes and goes and goes...

Last edited:
Funny, my N50 is rated at only 1/6 horsepower, which looks a lot like not much. But it's speed is not controlled by a rheostat, like other counter top mixers. The motor turns at a constant speed, and the mixing speed is governed by a 3 speed planetary transmission. Turn it off to shift gears...no clutch. Doesn't seem to matter how much of what I put in it, it just goes and goes and goes...

I've used that mixer in a vocational cooking school, it was awesome, seemed unstoppable! We also had a 5 qt. kitchenaid and it was a good machine, but not nearly as sturdy and robust as the Hobart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom