I need a stand mixer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolledeig

Senior Cook
I have a serious stand mixer problem!
I desperately need one, but the one I want is only available in Europe (Kenwood Major), so that plan is out the window.

I used to have a KA pro 600, but it just isn't doing the job with less than 600W. I got so annoyed with it that I sold the damn thing on Craigslist, and now I'm spending what feel like hours and hours on kneading.

So now what? Is there an alternative to the Kenwood Major in the US (I believe the DeLonghi is discontinued), or do I need to rewire my house?
I need at least 1200W motor, pref 1500W.

Solutions anyone? :neutral:

What are you mixing at home that you need something that can handle more than the KA600Pro?

You could look into a Hobart, but they are not cheap (new).

I'm using it for bread baking mainly, and it usually starts getting real hot and burnt smelling after only 6-7 minutes on low speed.
Everyone else I've talked to has the same experience with low wattage and bread dough aswell.
(I might mention that I come from a culture of super healthy brick like killerbread)

Anything else the KA handles just fine though.

I looked at Hobarts, and I'd have to get rich first for those, so I need something while I wait.

What about brands like Viking, Cuisinart and that stuff? Just as mediocre as KA?

I'm using it for bread baking mainly, and it usually starts getting real hot and burnt smelling after only 6-7 minutes on low speed.
Everyone else I've talked to has the same experience with low wattage and bread dough aswell.
(I might mention that I come from a culture of super healthy brick like killerbread)

Anything else the KA handles just fine though.

I looked at Hobarts, and I'd have to get rich first for those, so I need something while I wait.

What about brands like Viking, Cuisinart and that stuff? Just as mediocre as KA?

How much dough were you asking the KA to do in one batch?

I have never used Viking or Cuisinart so I can't speak to them. I am happy with my Pro600 and I make bread weekly (at least). How much flour and what hydration are you using?

The only thing I have used other than KA was the Hobarts. I used to use on of those large floor models (like 144QT or so). Heavy bowl. :)

Ahh..

That might be your problem. The 600Pro is rated at 14 cups of flour (about 1680g). So you are trying to use almost twice what it is rated as its max.

You can either halve what you are doing, or you are going to have to go with something in the lower commercial range.

Man, I hadn't even thought of that. Thank you!

But I have to say, 14 cups ain't that much.

Do you or anybody have anything in the lower commercial range to recomend?
Something less then several thousand dollars perhaps? :p

I need a mixer that I can use for anything from large yeast doughs to cookies, egg white beating, cake batter and sausage stuffing!

But I have to say, 14 cups ain't that much.

I suppose that is dependent on where you sit. It had been more than enough for my needs. :)

You could hunt eBay for Hobarts, or other commercial mixers.

I don't know how big they need to be before they start to require 3phase but you can't do that as it is against the NEC for residential installs and no one is going to do it.

Can you not do two batches? If the mixer did everything else you needed it might be the best way to sort your issue.

I don't know, man.. I might feel too restricted by 14 cups.

This is the wonder I'm drooling at
Titanium Major - KM023

I just don't understand why Europeans feel like they need bigger stand mixers than Americans. Everything is bigger in America! Except stand mixers...

You think it's gonna be a hastle to dig out a 900kg Hobart every time I need to whip 3 egg whites? Or are they easy to deal with?

I don't know, man.. I might feel too restricted by 14 cups.

This is the wonder I'm drooling at
Titanium Major - KM023

I just don't understand why Europeans feel like they need bigger stand mixers than Americans. Everything is bigger in America! Except stand mixers...

You think it's gonna be a hastle to dig out a 900kg Hobart every time I need to whip 3 egg whites? Or are they easy to deal with?

This time, before buying, you may want to read the instruction manual to be sure the KM023 is what you want. For example, it can't handle 3 kilos of flour either... Instruction Manuals - Kenwood Ltd

Bolledeig, looking at your user name, I'm guessing that you are Norwegian.

Are you making rugbrød? If you find a stand mixer that will knead rugbrød dough, I want to know about it.

Bolledeig, looking at your user name, I'm guessing that you are Norwegian.

Are you making rugbrød? If you find a stand mixer that will knead rugbrød dough, I want to know about it.

That's correct :)

Yes, basically rugbrød plus everything else I have in my pantry :p
All my Norwegian friends who live in Norway says the Kenwood Major can handle it! Really annoying. Happy to hear I'm not the only one with that problem tho ;)

Kenwood is the name used in Europe, in the US the same machines are sold under the names Cuisinart, Viking, waring, and Hamilton Beach (the commercial version) You'll notice that all three brands look very much like the Kenwood that you covet. The locations of mechanical controls, the lever to lift the head, the bowl shape (all of them offer the odd 7qt size), etc.. They are all made by the same company.

41KVtnwXCiL.jpg

41N7iOHtM-L.jpg

41rABr0Iy3L.jpg

31S6GdZwP2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Holy fjusk, bakechef, you're right! And the one justplainbill linked to aswell!

That's really confusing. How can they "pose" as several brands like that? It's not a very good marketing strategy o_O

The Viking is made in China. Do not know about the others but I've had good luck with Waring branded products - love my Waring big stick. I knead 6 1/2 cups flour and 3 cups water (about 3 lbs of bread) in my Emile Henry 5.8 Quart mixing bowl. The 5.8 quart size is just large enough so that the fully risen dough does not climb out of the bowl.
While the cleanup is easier doing it with the Emile Henry, I believe I could achieve the same results with my big stick in a deeper container (like an 8+ quart Bain Marie).

Last edited:
For heavy doughs, I have heard that the Electolux Assistant does a great job and is built like a tank, and comes with an 8 qt bowl.

I have, and the Major can handle 5kg total dough weight (soft yeast doughs). Which should be enough for my use.

Five kg of dough, only 2.6 kg of flour. Is yours a soft yeast dough? You suggested it was "brick like killerbread".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom