SPUD SOUP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
You lept into mind at lunch today, "Elf - BW prepared a tasty potato soup - quite possibly the best she's ever made.

A contributing factor was the generous use of Half-and-half milk (neither unique or the first time, however) And that reminded me of a minor pet peeve.

"Whole milk"! The stuff being peddled here as "whole milk" is little more than colored water. But half-and-half looks, tastes, and feels much like the Jersey milk that was dellivered in glass milk bottles to our porch step each morning some 65+ years ago. The bottles were half filled with cream. (On cold winter mornings, it was a race to get the frozen cream that had pushed up the paper cap before my siblings or the neighborhood cats. In depression days, that was every bit as good as ice-cream!).

I'm amazed the milk producers here in Califonria can get away with such a claim. But then, the Dairy Lobby here is extremely powerful - we've been being ripped off by them for yearss, and no end in sight.

oldcoot - Oh geez, thanks for thinking of me, I'm jealous of that potato soup!!!!

I remember my Dad using the cream that had separated to the top of the bottle for his coffee - none of us liked it (lucky for him, huh?)

I drink skim milk or 2% milk if I feel like something richer - but half and half definately fits the bill for potato soup or any other cream soup - and now that's what I use in my coffee!! LOL

Aww, you modern kids just don't know what's good!

Those pre-WWII-days were when oleomargarine hit the store shelves: cheaper than butter. In those days it looks, and tasted, like lard. Came with a little capsule or cellophane (does anyone yet remember that stuff_ package of yellow dye which the user was expected to mix into the margarine. Did nothing for the flavor, but looked more butter-like. (My older sister, the "artiste", would often scupt the mess into a figure of an animal on the butter dish. Pretty, but yuck!

So we sometimes decanted the crem from the bottle and made REAL butter! Only a tablespoonful or so, but, gee, it was GOOD!

And oh, by the way - I drink coffee, not "latte".

Anyway, I've got to find out just what BW did to make such a wonderful pot of 'tater soup. It definitely bears repeating.

Speaking of potato soups, 'Elf, how do you feel about "vishyswaz"? BW doesn't like cold soups, so I made some last summer, while she was out pf tpwm. Delicious. But I noticed it was darned good hot - before I chilled it, too! I guess when it's hot, it's just "potato-leek soup, huh?

I remember hearing stories about the yellow dye but I never actually got to witness it - And I LOVE "vishyswaz" - some fresh chives sprinkled on top - yum. But I love cold soups in the summer...

spud soup

kitchenelf, i, too, like vichyssoise. that reminds me of a neighbor boy who ate lunch with us one day. his parents asked what he had for lunch and his reply was that he had cold white soup with grass in it. my attempts to make vichyssoise have not been up to the standard of what i ate as a youngster and i ate that soup out of a can!

Sorry, It's Baked (not roasted) Potato Soup

6-8 baking potatoes
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 med onion, chopped
1 tbsp. parsley
3/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 pint heavy cream

Bake potatoes at 375 degrees for one hour, or until not quite cooked.
Halve potatoes - scoop out pulp and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
Measure 2 cups of potatoes and puree with stock in blender until smooth and creamy.
Melt butter in a large pot over med. heat . Stir in flour and cook, stirring until flour is light golden brown.Add onion and cook until soft and transluscent.
Reduce heat to low, and slowly add potato/chicken stock mixture. Stirring constantly, add remaining potato pieces along with parsley,pepper, garlic powder and salt. Add heavy cream and cook 30 - 45 mins.
Adjust seasonings and garnish with grated cheese, bacon bits and/or chopped green onions

Enjoy :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom