Can I use frozen fruit??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I found a recipe for a Peaches and Cream Bundt Cake and want to try it. It calls for 5 peaches chopped. If I can't find ripe peaches, can I sub frozen?

I found a recipe for a Peaches and Cream Bundt Cake and want to try it. It calls for 5 peaches chopped. If I can't find ripe peaches, can I sub frozen?
I would. The frozen should be sweeter the peaches here in Ca. are not ripe any in stores are from different places. So I'd go with the frozen I use them all the time in cobblers.
kades

While I have not made a bundt cake, I successfully use frozen peaches in Peach Upside down cake and in a cobbler. Don't even thaw the slices. I don't know if it would be better to thaw or not. Frozen ones should work just as fine as fresh. Perhaps thawed would more closely resemble fresh peaches. They hold their shape and texture when baked.

Would the frozen fruit alter the consistency at all? I imagine the frozen fruit would add a bit of water as they thawed?

Which fruits is it we cook with that they recommend you take a couple spoonfuls of the measured flour and shake the fruit and then return the excess flour to the batter? Blue berries, plumped up raisins? Maybe that could be done. Although it's possible the purpose for this is to keep the fruit from settling to the bottom of the batter. One could just thaw the peaches first.

Which fruits is it we cook with that they recommend you take a couple spoonfuls of the measured flour and shake the fruit and then return the excess flour to the batter? Blue berries, plumped up raisins? Maybe that could be done. Although it's possible the purpose for this is to keep the fruit from settling to the bottom of the batter. One could just thaw the peaches first.
I think it is to keep them from sticking to each other.

I would thaw the peaches and keep any juices that separate. Then I would reduce the juice and substitute it for some of the other liquid in the recipe.

That method works well to intensify the flavour of banana bread.

I think when using frozen fruit it changes the texture/consistency so I would thaw it first if you must use frozen fruit. If you can use fresh, use that because it will for sure give a better flavour. Fresh fruit will come out stronger in the cake and be more fragrant.

good luck!
Sarah
http://www.polaroidgirl.com/sugarspice

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the good things about frozen foods is that the plant is usualy located pretty close to the fields where they are picked. So they are frozen within hours of being picked. Thus the flavor and texture of the food being frozen is caught almost immediately. If you are concerned about any of the juices from the fruit affecting the cake, thaw them out in a strainer or colander, save the juices and use them as part of the liquid called for in the recipe. Dust them with some of the mixture of dry ingredients called for in the recipe. :chef:

You shouldn't have any problem at all. The cooking and harshness of canning is not unlike the temperatures fruits are exposed to when cooking them in cakes. I think canned or frozen fruits might work just as well as any fresh fruit recipes.

I think you could use frozen or canned with no problem at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom