I am new too!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beauleen

Assistant Cook
Hi i am new too, just started....
My question is about jam.. harvested some beautiful rhubarb today and got a fantastic buy on strawberries, so made jam without pectin, just sugar, boiled for about 20 minutes, jarred, then did 10 min bath, but it didn't set. What do i need to do now to salvage?:)

Welcome to DC! I usually cheat and use Surejel (sp). But, when I used to make jam or jelly with my grandma, she'd do the cold water set test. Here's a link to some information that might help.

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Jam and Jelly

We've "reset" wild grape jelly by putting it back in the pot and cooking it until it sets on a plate. You can do it, or you can use what you have as syrup on pancakes, etc. and do the next batch using a candy thermometer.

good morning & welcome from manchester uk.never made jam so can't help i'm afraid.know how to strip down & repair my brother's lawn mower tho',so if you've ever got any tricky grass cutting problems................:LOL:!

Welcome to DC!

Any rhubarb jam recipe I've seen uses pectin/Suregel.

Some fruits need a little extra help. Here in the UK we can buy Jam Sugar with extra pectin or a product called Certo which is a pectin concentrate, which you can add to help with the setting process. Hopefully you can buy something similar where you are?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom