ISO Grand Rapids Gems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
This doesn't exactly fit the purpose of this forum, but it was the best fit I could find. My family and I will likely be moving to the Grand Rapids, Michigan area this summer. I will be looking for a job serving at a restaurant. I have worked at a few styles of restaurants and have gotten a bit picky in my old age ;). Actually, to be honest, I've just been spoiled by my current job. Unfortunately, I cannot take the restaurant with me when I move. I am looking for suggestions of restaurants that might be great to work at. Does anyone know of any? I bring a positive attitude, a passion for food, and a love of people, as well as experience and technical skills, so I feel that I can afford to be selective. If push comes to shove, I will be grateful for any job that pays the bills, and I'm blessed with the ability to make myself happy in most settings, but I'd love to find a place that I will look forward to going back to. Here is what I love about where I currently work:

-The owner and managers treat guests and employees with respect.
-I trust my fellow employees.
-The food is excellent. When I give recommendations, I know the food will live up to my words. Our kitchen staff really cooks. Everything is made in-house to order.
-We rarely encounter scammers (individuals coming in looking for free meals and willing to make up any complaint to get one.)
-Most of our customers are regulars, visiting at least once a month, often weekly or more.
-Our customers come in to dine, not simply to grab a bite to eat.
-Our atmosphere is still casual and friendly. The owner talks to the customers like friends, not like visiting dignitaries.
-We have slower periods here and there, but business is fairly steady year-round.
-The dinner entrees are roughly $18-$38. They are fairly priced for high-quality food and allow us to focus on giving customers an excellent experience, not just turning tables as quickly but politely as possible. I realize the economy and cost of living in GR are different from where I work. It doesn't need to be exactly in this price range. I'm just trying to avoid the two-people-in-and-out-in-40-minutes-for-under-20-bucks-style places. There's nothing wrong with them, but I would prefer a different environment.

I realize some of these things may not be possible to judge from a customer's point of view, but I hope this gives a general idea of what I'm looking for. However, I am open to any suggestions. Does anyone know of a great place to work? It doesn't have to fit this bill exactly. I would be willing to work in a more formal or even a faster-paced setting if the work environment was inviting enough. Have you dined at a restaurant that had truly impressive food and service?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom