Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I was watching Capreal and John's Kitchen. They were doing a show on quick family meals. Pasta was the main subject. They suggested that when you are cooking pasta, cook the whole box. Any leftover, toss with olive oil and then just heat it up in hot water when you want to have pasta again. Sounded like a good idea. So I made up a box of it a couple of days ago and followed their suggestion. Today I put it to the test. Works for me. Since pasta seem to be the one thing I can eat without any problem, I am back on the road to recovery from this stupid eating problem I have. :angel:

I was watching Capreal and John's Kitchen. They were doing a show on quick family meals. Pasta was the main subject. They suggested that when you are cooking pasta, cook the whole box. Any leftover, toss with olive oil and then just heat it up in hot water when you want to have pasta again. Sounded like a good idea. So I made up a box of it a couple of days ago and followed their suggestion. Today I put it to the test. Works for me. Since pasta seem to be the one thing I can eat without any problem, I am back on the road to recovery from this stupid eating problem I have. :angel:

If you have to heat up a pot of water to reheat the cooked pasta, how much extra does it take to just cook it as needed?

If you have to heat up a pot of water to reheat the cooked pasta, how much extra does it take to just cook it as needed?

My problem is that in the time it takes to boil the water and then wait for the pasta to cook, by then I have lost my appetite and I don't want to eat. This method, the water just has to be hot. I don't have as long wait since I am only heating up the water, not waiting for it to boil. And I am not waiting for the pasta to cook. I am just trying ways to make myself want to eat. And this seems to work for me.

This eating problem is driving me crazy. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it. I am trying anything that will help me eat at least once a day instead of not eating for four or five days at a time. Right now pasta seems to be working. I will just keep plugging away with anything that works. Because I got so sick Thursday from people insisting I try to eat some of the lunch when I knew I couldn't, I skipped eating at all yesterday. Not good for a diabetic.

Buonsera Addie,

Pasta is great whether it is hot or cold ... I reheat my pasta if there is leftovers ... Many times, I take it for a laboral lunch ... Well, I am a true Pasta-holic ...

Hope that you are feeling better, and off to a speedy recovery,
Kind regards,
Ciao. Have a nice wkend.
Margi.

I also reheat leftover pasta but I am not going to make extra on purpose.

If I have to get a pot, fill it will water and heat it I am going to make fresh pasta.

Savannah Smoker,

I only make extra pasta, if planning on eating it at the magazine office for a laboral lunch ... otherwise, I make just enough for the two of us ... After all these years, I pretty much know what we are going to be able to enjoy.

I also make my own Pastas when time permitting, however, sometimes I make a dish with Barilla.

Have a lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Since it's already cooked, I don't think you need to fill a pot with water in order to reheat pasta; it doesn't need the space in the pot to prevent sticking. I would think just enough to cover the pasta would work fine.

My problem is that in the time it takes to boil the water and then wait for the pasta to cook, by then I have lost my appetite and I don't want to eat. This method, the water just has to be hot. I don't have as long wait since I am only heating up the water, not waiting for it to boil. And I am not waiting for the pasta to cook. I am just trying ways to make myself want to eat. And this seems to work for me.

This eating problem is driving me crazy. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it. I am trying anything that will help me eat at least once a day instead of not eating for four or five days at a time. Right now pasta seems to be working. I will just keep plugging away with anything that works. Because I got so sick Thursday from people insisting I try to eat some of the lunch when I knew I couldn't, I skipped eating at all yesterday. Not good for a diabetic.
Addie,
I heat butter in a slkillet brown it if you like, then add my pasta and let it warm that way. It's yummy and fairly quick. I use a 5 mg. carb pasta it's called Dream Fields and I don't get high Blood Glucose from it. All that is absorbed is the 5 mg. I just love this pasta the only thing that annoys me is One store in this stupid city carry's it. But
I stock up on it and always have it on hand now.
kades

Addie,
I heat butter in a slkillet brown it if you like, then add my pasta and let it warm that way. It's yummy and fairly quick. I use a 5 mg. carb pasta it's called Dream Fields and I don't get high Blood Glucose from it. All that is absorbed is the 5 mg. I just love this pasta the only thing that annoys me is One store in this stupid city carry's it. But
I stock up on it and always have it on hand now.
kades

I like that idea. I am definitely going to give that a try. I have heard of Dreamfield. A lot of good reviews. My store doesn't always carry it. It is a hit and miss thing with them. On a lot of items. Thanks.

I just asked my Sweetie to add Dreamfields Pasta to her shopping list.

The web site states it is available in South Side Savannah at Kroger, Walmart, Publix and Food Lion.

Thanks much.

SO and I have been using Dreamfields for years. It tastes like regular pasta. It doesn't come in the usual one pound boxes, more like 13.25 ounces. SO and I get two meals out of a box.

SO and I have been using Dreamfields for years. It tastes like regular pasta. It doesn't come in the usual one pound boxes, more like 13.25 ounces. SO and I get two meals out of a box.

13 ounces is the new "pound" size. It costs the same as the old pound size. I'm glad at least they're not raising the price. ;)

I may have been making some kind of satiric reference to the common practice of manufacturers cutting package weight (and often not the size of the package) in an attempt to delude customers into not realizing the price was increased. Breakfast cereals are well known to do this.

My store brand is a buck a pound all the time. (16 oz. size) I'll admit to not being any kind of gourmet when it comes to pasta.

What is a reasonable per person pasta serving? In terms of dietary needs?

I may have been making some kind of satiric reference to the common practice of manufacturers cutting package weight (and often not the size of the package) in an attempt to delude customers into not realizing the price was increased. Breakfast cereals are well known to do this.

My store brand is a buck a pound all the time. (16 oz. size) I'll admit to not being any kind of gourmet when it comes to pasta.

What is a reasonable per person pasta serving? In terms of dietary needs?

Most people don't know how much pasta they eat. I have a healthy appetite and 3 ounces (315 calories) of dry pasta is enough for me.

13 ounces is the new "pound" size. It costs the same as the old pound size. I'm glad at least they're not raising the price. ;)

People notice right away if the price goes up. But not when a change in made in the weight until later. Sneaky, but effective.

I've worked in restaurants where all the pasta is pre-cooked and then put in hot water briefly before tossing through the sauce. Obviously, Italians are really not fans of this method, but it definitely makes for a quick and easy meal.
Also, there are some really awesome pasta sauces that you can whip up in 10-15 minutes, that will help you combat the loss of appetite. I can share some if you would like.
Hope you are feeling better.

I cook extra and just put the pasta with a bit of water in a pot, in the fridge. I just heat it up in the mircro :)

Savannah Smoker,

I only make extra pasta, if planning on eating it at the magazine office for a laboral lunch ... otherwise, I make just enough for the two of us ... After all these years, I pretty much know what we are going to be able to enjoy.

I also make my own Pastas when time permitting, however, sometimes I make a dish with Barilla.

Have a lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Interesting that you named Barilla. My husband used to make all our long pasta, the rolled kind, not extruded, from scratch. Then some family and friends ruined it for him. Now he only makes it for me on special occasions.

But, since this is a line on re-heating pasta, I have to say I use Barilla for long pasta simply because I feel it does re-heat better than other brands. I have a hard time getting just the right amount of pasta cooked since husband had to go on a carb-controlled diet to avoid full diabetes. I thought 1/3 package of Barilla (we're talking, I don't know how it is packaged there, but linguini, thick spaghetti, med spaghetti, thin spaghetti, spaghetti riggate (probably misspelled), and my all time favorite, angel hair) should be just right for two, until one day he took his allowed one cup and I had to cook more for me. So I now do 1/2 a package.

This always leaves leftovers. I cook all pasta al dente, but somehow when re-heating they turn to mush. Barilla doesn't seem to.

Back
Top Bottom