ISO Rabbit Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolokia

Assistant Cook
Hey all,
I recently bought some rabbit from a local farmers market. I have had rabbit once before in a stew, but have never made it myself before. I have about 3 pounds frozen right now. Am looking for suggestions of how to not waste this opportunity. What has been your favorite way of cooking rabbit? Should it been cooked more like beef or lamb or pork? What is an overcooking time like? I love spicy foods so what peppers would you suggest?

Thanks in advance all!

I would start out with fried or stewed and then move on to this recipe from my Mother's church group

Elephant Stew
1 Elephant
200 c Water
700 ts Salt
Pepper, to taste
650 (10 oz.) cans brown gravy
2 Rabbits (optional)

Remove tusks; wash well; cut into chunks - takes about 2 weeks.

Place meat in large kettles; season with salt and pepper. Cover with water and gravy. Cook over kerosene fire at 455 degrees for about 4 weeks, or until tender.

This amount should serve 3,800 people; however, if more guests are expected, you may add 2 rabbits the last hour of cooking, but do so only if necessary because most people do not like to find hare in their stew.

I would start out with fried or stewed and then move on to this recipe from my Mother's church group

Elephant Stew
1 Elephant
200 c Water
700 ts Salt
Pepper, to taste
650 (10 oz.) cans brown gravy
2 Rabbits (optional)

Remove tusks; wash well; cut into chunks - takes about 2 weeks.

Place meat in large kettles; season with salt and pepper. Cover with water and gravy. Cook over kerosene fire at 455 degrees for about 4 weeks, or until tender.

This amount should serve 3,800 people; however, if more guests are expected, you may add 2 rabbits the last hour of cooking, but do so only if necessary because most people do not like to find hare in their stew.

Groan....:ROFLMAO:

I used to cook snowshoe hare like chicken. We ate a lot of it and got kinda tired of it. It was good in rabbit cacciatore (just substitute the rabbit for the chicken in a chicken cacciatore recipe). It means "hunter's chicken". I suspect the recipe was originally for rabbit.

We also enjoyed snowshoe vindaloo.

Buonsera,

In Malta, Tuscany, Italia and in Andalusia as well as Castilla La Mancha, on the Iberian Peninsula, and in France, rabbit is quite common fare ...

In Spain: The most popular preparation is " al ajillo " with garlic
In Malta: Marinated and then, Slow Braised in Red Wine with Garlic, beef stock, Evoo & Onion
In Toscana: Tomato with vegetables in a slow braise stew
In France: With Dijòn Mustard

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi. Ciao.

Hey all,
I recently bought some rabbit from a local farmers market. I have had rabbit once before in a stew, but have never made it myself before. I have about 3 pounds frozen right now. Am looking for suggestions of how to not waste this opportunity. What has been your favorite way of cooking rabbit? Should it been cooked more like beef or lamb or pork? What is an overcooking time like? I love spicy foods so what peppers would you suggest?

Thanks in advance all!

The first thing that comes to mind is Paella:

paella | Williams-Sonoma

Paella with Rabbit and Artichokes Recipe at Epicurious.com

ETA: Adding chorizo (and paprika) will give you some heat & smokiness.

Last edited:
Buonsera Jolokia,

The original Paella Valenciana Recipe was made with Rabbit in the high hill country. It later had travelled with the shepherds to the coast, and thus, the ingredients have changed to shellfish and fish varieties.

I had posted a Paella recipe of Chef José Andrés in Ethnic Section, and thus, you can get an idea on amounts and employ the rabbit instead of the chicken and the shrimp ... The original recipe also employs: fava beans or broad beans ( soaked overnight in salted water ), 12 to 15 saffron threads, a tomato, garlic, onion, arborio short grain Paella Rice and roasted bell red pepper and if you wish sausage ...

Have a nice Sunday,
Margi.

I know you're trying to be serious, and so am I. Trying. This recipe came from some church cookbook, so it's at trying to be pious.

Begin by catching the rabbit. (You knew that was coming, didn't you?).
Dress if not already dressed (the rabbit).
If you're not dressed either, do so.
Dig little Petunia out of the flour bin.
Heat oven and warm up the roasting pan.
Cut up the rabbit.
Go change the baby's diaper.
Answer the phone.
Sift the flour and roll the rabbit pieces in it.
Wash flour out of Petunia's hair.
Grease the roasting pan and pick all the toys up off the kitchen floor.
Go look for Tommy. He was on the front porch the last time you saw him.
Call Joe Henderson about those seeds.
Return to kitchen.
Mop flour off floor where Petunia put rabbit.
Clean off rabbit.
Mop flour off Petunia.
Turn off the oven--it's too hot now.
The butter has congealed. Melt it again.
Let Tommy in the back door with the fresh eggs.
Use the broken one in the recipe.
Answer phone.
Change baby's diaper.
Take Tommy's broken egg and beat it.
Beat it back to the kitchen.
Beat the other egg.
Sit down and collect your wits--no, collect the children.
Beat the two eggs together.
Take the kids and beat it!
Take the rabbit and beat it to the creek.
Cut up rabbit for bait and go fishing.
Fish may be fried the same way.

Only had experience with wild rabbit...Parboil till tender, then fry the rabbit pieces. Put fried rabbit in a nice onion gravy and simmer 20-30 min. Serve over rice.

A rabbit is just a chicken with no wings, 4 thighs, and all dark meat.

I'm sorry rabbits have fallen out of favor at the supermarkets. I have to order them specially if I want one. Used to just find them next to the chicken.

Greg Who Cooks said:
A rabbit is just a chicken with no wings, 4 thighs, and all dark meat.

I'm sorry rabbits have fallen out of favor at the supermarkets. I have to order them specially if I want one. Used to just find them next to the chicken.

I've always wanted to try rabbit, but wouldn't have the first clue where to get one. I see bunnies hopping around the yard all the time, but I really don't want to gut and skin the thing. I like my meat to come in packages lol.

wow! thanks for all the suggestions guys! (including the joke suggestions..elephant stew..ha!)
I am not going to be able to be back at my place for another week or so, but that gives me plenty of time to look through all the recipes to find one I really like!

so it seems like mustard and rabbit keep popping up as a combination? is there a reason for this? i suppose a mustard type rub or sauce on chicken dark meat would be pretty good...so I suppose that makes sense for how some people have been describing the game meat..

Back
Top Bottom