Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholic Drinks (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   What is your beer I.Q.? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f121/what-is-your-beer-i-q-79927.html)

niquejim 06-08-2012 06:11 PM

What is your beer I.Q.?

Margi's wine post made me realise that most people don't know that there are many different styles of beer and many are as good, if not better, than wine for your dinner.. Especially the cheese and dessert courses

Hoot 06-08-2012 06:17 PM

Yep. I am fond of a high hop rate. Mrs. Hoot, however, thinks the beer I like is vile.
I reckon tastes in beer is every bit as subjective as tastes in wine, or whiskey, for that matter.

CharlieD 06-08-2012 06:32 PM

I'm not sure about many kinds, but I do know when comes for my beer. German -Dark, Chech - Light

taxlady 06-08-2012 06:32 PM

My beer IQ isn't very high. I'm not very fond of beer, but it can be good once in a while. I tend to like red beers or dark ones, but not Guinness. ptui.

Hoot 06-08-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1147052)
ptui.

Mrs Hoot says the very same thing! :lol:

I find Guinness to be an outstanding ale. I have noticed recently that there is Guinness Black Lager residing in the cooler at our local grocery. I will have to give it a try soon.
I like a good IPA and am fond of Negro Modelo, even though it is not very hoppy.

PrincessFiona60 06-08-2012 06:47 PM

I have no beer I.Q. either...I do buy good stuff for Shrek, he likes the darker ales and microbrews.

taxlady 06-08-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 1147056)
Mrs Hoot says the very same thing! :lol:

I find Guinness to be an outstanding ale. I have noticed recently that there is Guinness Black Lager residing in the cooler at our local grocery. I will have to give it a try soon.
I like a good IPA and am fond of Negro Modelo, even though it is not very hoppy.

I have friends who love the stuff. I hear it's quite different in the UK. I like one type of IPA (only one I have tried), Alexander Keith's IPA.

Viking Beer, made in Iceland, is really nice, especially for a blonde. It doesn't travel well. :sad:

I don't like the hoppy flavour.

CraigC 06-08-2012 07:37 PM

I really like Heineken on draft. Especially when I'm sitting at a bar in Amsterdam. Just don't go behind the train station. If you're into people watching, a "Coffee Bar" will entertain you for quite awhile!:rolleyes:

In the US, I am really partial to Abita Brewing Co's products, from Abita Springs, LA.

Oldvine 06-08-2012 07:37 PM

We grow wine grapes but that doesn't keep us from enjoying a bottle of beer with certain meals... Chinese, Mexican or Pizza require beer accordingly.

roadfix 06-08-2012 07:44 PM

I'm happy with any premium beer that's on sale. :)