Yorkshire: Stuffed Beef with Potato Topping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: This dish hails from an old Inn in North Yorkshire, just off the Motorway A 19, called Mc Coy´s where the Vet and I had gone to meet some old friends from Vancouver, Canada.

The Vet had truly enjoyed the Beef stuffed with mushrooms and topped with herbed mashed potatoes ... :yum: Here is the recipe:

MUSHROOM STUFFED BEEF WITH POTATO TOPPING ...

;) Stuffing ...

1/4 stick butter unsalted
6 oz. fresh mushrooms of choice and seasonal availability
1 small onion chopped finely
2 large shallots sliced finely
2 tsps. minced fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 cup Portuguese Madeira

:) Topping ...

12 oz. of potatoes
1 tblsp. butter
1 tsp. fresh minced Sage Herb or 1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 egg yolk

:chef: BEEF ...

2 tblsps. Evoo
Four eight ounce beef tenderlion steaks about 1 1/4 inches thick

a) FOR STUFFING ...

1) Melt the butter in heavy medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms rinsed and dried and chopped, onion, shallots and thyme and sauté until tender about 15 mins.
2) add the Madeira and cook until almost all the liquid evaporates, about five minutes. Season to taste with freshly ground blk. pep. and salt.

b) FOR TOPPING ...

1) Cook potato in large pot of salted boiling water until tender.
2) cool slightly and peel the potatoes
3) place the potatoes in a medium size bowl and add the butter and the sage.
4) Mash the potatoes until completely smooth
5) mix in egg yolk and combine well

c) FOR BEEF ...

1) preheat oven to 450 degrees farenheit
2) heat oil in a heavy skillet over high heat
3) cook steaks 2 minutes per side
4) transfer the steaks to a baking sheet and cool slightly
5) cut top 1/2 inch off each steak and spread 1/4 mushroom stuffing over bottom piece of each steak
6) arrange tops over stuffing and press to adhere
7) spoon potato topping into pastry bag fitted with a large star tip
8) pipe topping decoratively over each steak lid or cover
9) bake steaks until the topping is golden and steaks are medium rare about 9 to 10 minutes.

Kind Regards and Enjoy,
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.

Kylie & Tax Lady: Thanks Ladies

:yum: Buonasera Ladies,

Isn´t too hot for such an autumn dish in Sydney and Montreal ?

Well, perhaps not ! It is real good aromatic hearty dish ...

How is the weather in Sydney and Montreal ?

It is 90 degrees farenheit = 40 degrees centigrade in The Madrid Capital and extremely dry and arid ... Too too dry for me personally, however, I am going to be headed over to our condo in Puglia, for most of the summer. We shall be driving up to Valle D´Aosta ( Lake Garda ) to meet up with dear friends, and then, we are driving up to Nathalia´s, our younger daughter and the older one is flying over to Zürich with her husband and the 2 kids ... So, a family reunion ...

I hope you are shall have a wonderful summer ahead too ...

Tax Lady: Happy July 1st - Canada Day

Let me know how the recipe turns out ! :chef:

All my best,
Ciao, have a lovely wkend.
Margi.

Margi, i always can tell that you are the "poster" whenever I see an unusual or exotic sounding dish in the title. This one sounds great and I am definitely going to copy it.

I live in Florida but with air conditioning, I make whatever appeals on any given day, regardless of the temperature. Down here, I'd never get a good stew or soup if I worried about the weather.

Keep them coming, they are a joy to read.

Lynda

Lynda,

You are totally right !

Thanks for the compliment ...

Speaking of recipe titles, I always try to squeeze in the origin country and /or the name in both the native language and English; however, I never seem to have enough space ... So, to obtain the maximum impact; I try my best !

Speaking of extraordinaire names, my name is Margaux ! The only person who calls me Margi in reality is the Vet ... My friends call me Mar - Go or Mar Got ... and a couple, Mar Ga ...

My older daughter is NAIA ( Nai ah ) and the younger Nathalia ( Na thal ah )

Thus, on top of all this, I am a journalist titling names of articles all the time.

Thanks again, and enjoy the dish. Please keep me posted on how it turns out ...

Air conditioning and a delicious Shepherd´s sort of Pie !!! Yorkshire village style ...

Happy July 4th to you and your family,
Ciao.
Kindest. Margi.

Margi, thank you for the Canada Day greeting :flowers:

Yes, at the moment it is too hot to turn on the oven. But, we get cool, rainy days in summer too. If I get a good grill, I could could cook it outdoors. I can also wait until fall. ;)

I was just thinking of buying an entire beef tenderloin at Costco, to keep the per kg price down. It's great to have more ways to cook it than just a steak or beef Stroganoff.

Tax Lady,

Always a pleasure to hear from you ...

Wish it would rain here ... It can be compared to Death Valley or the Sahara.

I cannot wait to go to Puglia ... I am leaving in a little less than two weeks.

Our condo is very close to the sea ... Walkable and visible, 5 minutes in flats ...

Enjoy the Yorkshire - sort of a shepherd´s or cottage pie type dish ... Let me know how it turns out, when you do prepare it ...

ALL MY BEST FOR A WONDERFUL SUMMER.
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom