Am I too old to go back to school...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking about that direction, too. I took a food-writing class at a local writers' center last fall and really enjoyed it. I may do both :) I could be a personal chef, to keep up the skills and practice, and that experience would reinforce the food-writing/editing skills.
How'd it go? What did you think?

I'm going for it :) When DH gets back from his conference at the end of the week, we can talk finances. In the meantime, I'll do the application and get my college transcripts over there. It's an associate's degree in culinary arts from the culinary division of ECPI University, a for-profit school.

The admissions rep gave me a tour of the facilities; they have several kitchens and a bakery, as well as lecture and computer classrooms. They also have a receiving/storeroom where meats and produce come in and students break down everything from whole chickens to a side of beef. The school has several clubs, including gardening, media, and baking, and they encourage you to get involved with one or more of them, to get to know each other and expand your skills and knowledge in ways that interest you.

The program is 15 months long; it requires one long (10 weeks) or two short (5 weeks) externships to graduate. They help you get externships at local or "destination" food service locations, from restaurants to hospitals/nursing homes to amusement parks like Colonial Williamsburg or Disneyland.

I'm really excited about this. It's been a while since I felt this positive about something :)

I'm going for it :) When DH gets back from his conference at the end of the week, we can talk finances. In the meantime, I'll do the application and get my college transcripts over there. It's an associate's degree in culinary arts from the culinary division of ECPI University, a for-profit school.

The admissions rep gave me a tour of the facilities; they have several kitchens and a bakery, as well as lecture and computer classrooms. They also have a receiving/storeroom where meats and produce come in and students break down everything from whole chickens to a side of beef. The school has several clubs, including gardening, media, and baking, and they encourage you to get involved with one or more of them, to get to know each other and expand your skills and knowledge in ways that interest you.

The program is 15 months long; it requires one long (10 weeks) or two short (5 weeks) externships to graduate. They help you get externships at local or "destination" food service locations, from restaurants to hospitals/nursing homes to amusement parks like Colonial Williamsburg or Disneyland.

I'm really excited about this. It's been a while since I felt this positive about something :)
:clap::clap:

That's awesome. None of us are ever too old to better ourselves. I encourage anyone who wants to learn something new to go for it. Glad to see you taking that step.

CWS.....I would go for it! I'm 57 and so is my closest friend, she just completed her BA in Psychology last fall and is looking for work in that field she was a stay at home mom for most of her adult life. (she did work recently as a special Ed teacher's assistant for a couple of years). This is really a different path for her, you too can do it!

Back
Top Bottom