When you make stew: stove top or oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soma

Senior Cook
I prefer my meat roasted, esp after browning it on top of stove in cast-iron fp. But my hubby insists that it would be just as tender if I simmer it on top of the stove.

This topic today because it's pretty hot in the house right now, and I'm planning to do up a Moroccan lamb stew for a potluck get-together tomorrow. The lamb was expensive, $27. for 2.5 pounds, so I want it to turn out extra-special.

He says that the oven will heat the house more than a stove-top pot for several hours.

How do you make your stews?

For us the season for oven cooking is rapidly coming to an end. We do some stews in the heat of summer, but no oven roasting. A heat diffuser can be helpful when using a Dutch oven on some stove-tops, as can a stove hood that is vented to the outside.

Last edited:
Right, Bill!

Well we do have a vent hood over the stove, which goes to the outdoors, so I'm guessing the oven will definitely make the house hotter than stovetop.

but, but, but.....roasted meat is soooooo good!

We also have a side-burner on the BBQ, but it will use up a lot of the gas tank, won't it?

Do you have a crock pot? I tend to only use the oven in the summer on cooler days...or at night if the temp is dropping overnight. You could grill the meat and then finish it off in a DO on the stovetop.

Side burner on gas grill may use up a lot of gas not sure on yours mine doesn't but yours may be different. I'd do it on stovetop or if I was doing a large amount I'd use my roaster pan out in my charcoal grill. Rack on lowest setting small amount of charcoal.
For me in the summer at home if it is going to take longer to cook then 10 or 15 minutes I figure out away to cook it outside. Either gas grill, charcoal grill, or on my smoker.

Bill is right, too hot for stews in the summer. But to answer your question, I START ON THE STOVE TOP, AND THEN FINISH, ACTUALLY DO (oops) most part of cooking in the oven.

Stove top to brown meat cubes. Transfer into the slow cooker with veggies and cook until tender. Pour off juices, make roux, add roux to boiling juices to make a kind of Espanole, add back into the slow cooker. Correct the seasonings.

Alternate method: Brown meat in a lightly oiled pressure cooker pot. Add veggies and water to cover (about 2 cups). Put the lid on and cook under pressure for 20 to 30 minutes. Make sauce as done in first method. Correct the seasonings.

The pressure cooker method will heat your house the least. It reduces the cooking time by up to 2/3rds, and creates super tender meat. And the juices from the meat will permeate the potatoes, and other veggies.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
If you're making a stew (or a pot roast), I don't think it will taste any different whether you cook it in the oven or on the stovetop. Either way, you're cooking meat and veggies in liquid in a closed container. The source of the heat is not important. It's only roasting if it's a big chunk of meat such as a rib roast in an open roasting pan.

I start stews and pot roasts in a cast iron dutch oven on the stove top to brown the meat and get things put together. As soon as I bring it to a simmer, it goes into the oven to cook. It's the easiest way to go but will heat up the kitchen.

Stove top to brown meat cubes. Transfer into the slow cooker with veggies and cook until tender. Pour off juices, make roux, add roux to boiling juices to make a kind of Espanole, add back into the slow cooker. Correct the seasonings.

Alternate method: Brown meat in a lightly oiled pressure cooker pot. Add veggies and water to cover (about 2 cups). Put the lid on and cook under pressure for 20 to 30 minutes. Make sauce as done in first method. Correct the seasonings.

The pressure cooker method will heat your house the least. It reduces the cooking time by up to 2/3rds, and creates super tender meat. And the juices from the meat will permeate the potatoes, and other veggies.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ditto here.

I have enamelled cast iron. I always make stew on the stove top, start to finish. I'll have to try using the oven when the weather cools off.

If you're making a stew (or a pot roast), I don't think it will taste any different whether you cook it in the oven or on the stovetop.
I agree. I've done it both ways and don't think it makes much difference, either. One note: if it's on the stovetop, it needs to be stirred occasionally just to keep it from sticking on the bottom, whereas in the oven it can be left alone.

I also agree with the "seasonal" logic. To be perfectly honest, I just don't eat stews or even think about them much during non-winter months.

Last edited:
I also agree with the "seasonal" logic. To be perfectly honest, I just don't eat stews or even think about them much during non-winter months.

If we didn't make stews and pot roasts, which are some of my favorite dishes, when it isn't cool/cold, we might never have any!:ohmy:

I agree. I've done it both ways and don't think it makes much difference, either. One note: if it's on the stovetop, it needs to be stirred occasionally just to keep it from sticking on the bottom, whereas in the oven it can be left alone.

So, for in the oven, what temp? How long? Do I just brown the meat and deglaze the pan on the stove top and then add stuff and shove it in the oven?

So, for in the oven, what temp? How long? Do I just brown the meat and deglaze the pan on the stove top and then add stuff and shove it in the oven?

Sear the meat, sauté the veggies, add the seasonings and liquids. When you get to the bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, it goes into the oven. I use 350º F for the oven.

Any time of the year - stove top or slow cooker. I sear the meat first. Pressure cooker is another way to go. Boeuf Bourguignon is one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom