Fresh Young Dill Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi, kids! I want to make a simple Cream of Dill Soup. I can't find anything on the world wide web that doesn't also have cucs or toms or carrots or some other vegetable. I just want a soup that is heavy on:

young fresh dill straight from the garden
cream (heavy or not)
onions
plus minor ingredients as necessary

The garden is overloaded with young volunteer dill and I want to use a whole bunch of it. (I don't want it going to seed or plucking it out as if it were a weed - what a waste.) Of course I can invent a Cream of Dill Soup myself, but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions as to techniques, etc. I don't want to waste a whole bunch of cream doing something all wrong!:LOL:

Thank you!

Never done that. I love dill, don't take me wrong, but too much of it is going to be nasty in my opinion. If you have too much of it you can always preserve it for the winter.

I would make a light potato soup. Sweat some onions in butter and olive oil. Add potatoes, chicken or vegetable broth, bring to boil and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Blitz it in a blender, return to pot over low heat and add some cream and dill, a bit at at time until the taste seems right. I agree that too much dill will not be good.

Hi, kids! I want to make a simple Cream of Dill Soup. I can't find anything on the world wide web that doesn't also have cucs or toms or carrots or some other vegetable. I just want a soup that is heavy on:

young fresh dill straight from the garden
cream (heavy or not)
onions plus minor ingredients as necessary

The garden is overloaded with young volunteer dill and I want to use a whole bunch of it. (I don't want it going to seed or plucking it out as if it were a weed - what a waste.) Of course I can invent a Cream of Dill Soup myself, but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions as to techniques, etc. I don't want to waste a whole bunch of cream doing something all wrong!:LOL:

Thank you!

I would make Dill Pesto.

Dill pairs well with salmon, or in a sour cream, cucumber, dill sauce, in salads, a garnish for cool summer soups (i.e. melon, peach, etc.), or smoked salmon cream cheese appetizer/dip.

Here's an idea for

Cool Summer Pasta Soup:

Summer Pasta Soup with Herbed Cucumber

And, a salmon appetizer:

Salmon Pastries with Dill Pesto:

Salmon Pastries with Dill Pesto Recipe from Pillsbury.com#

Thanks to all 3 of you for your advice and views. It never occurred to me, a real dill lover, that a purely dill soup might be a bit much! Yes, maybe a few potatoes to mellow it would be in order!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom