New toy, vintage KA mixer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakechef

Executive Chef
Here is my new toy, a vintage Kitchenaid mixer. It still works and the motor seems good and strong. I saw it and just had to have it!

vintage%20KA.JPG

Now I have a vintage Dormeyer too.

dormeyer.jpg

I have a vintage Hamilton Beach hand mixer that I haven't got a picture of yet. All of these were bought within the span of a week... Now I just want a vintage chrome Sunbeam to round out the collection.

I have a model almost identical to your recently acquired KA. Be prepared to replace the brushes on the KA, and you may find that the clasp that holds the bottom of the beater together is worn or broken. Hope you do not encounter grease / oil leaks from the planetary gear housing that migrate into your food. It's a pretty light duty machine (about 2 amps) that I tolerated for many years before springing for a 7 quart model. I'm holding onto the 4C for sentimental reasons and as sort of a backup. My wife likes to use our chrome plated Hamilton Beach stand mixer / beater, which has a rotating base, for mixing cake batter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I bought this mainly as a show piece, but will give it some light use. My 18 year old Ultrapower is my workhorse. There is a company that you can send these old kitchenaids that will refurbish them, I'm thinking of getting this done in the future.

Thanks for the info. I bought this mainly as a show piece, but will give it some light use. My 18 year old Ultrapower is my workhorse. There is a company that you can send these old kitchenaids that will refurbish them, I'm thinking of getting this done in the future.
Good luck. Cosmetically your machines are very nice.

I like the idea of handles on top of stand mixers. It would be ludicrous on mine, though.

I have a model almost identical to your recently acquired KA. Be prepared to replace the brushes on the KA, and you may find that the clasp that holds the bottom of the beater together is worn or broken. Hope you do not encounter grease / oil leaks from the planetary gear housing that migrate into your food. It's a pretty light duty machine (about 2 amps) that I tolerated for many years before springing for a 7 quart model. I'm holding onto the 4C for sentimental reasons and as sort of a backup. My wife likes to use our chrome plated Hamilton Beach stand mixer / beater, which has a rotating base, for mixing cake batter.

I've inspected the beater and it is still in very good shape, doesn't look ready to give out just yet!

I did some research and it seems that Kitchenaids often suffer from the leaking oil thing. Seems that over time the gobs of grease used on the gears starts to break down and the oil separates from the rest of the lubricant material, oozing out around the beater area. I'm going to buy some new grease and have a go at cleaning and re-greasing this machine, if all goes well, I'll do the same for my Ultra Power, there are videos showing how to do it online.

I've inspected the beater and it is still in very good shape, doesn't look ready to give out just yet!

I did some research and it seems that Kitchenaids often suffer from the leaking oil thing. Seems that over time the gobs of grease used on the gears starts to break down and the oil separates from the rest of the lubricant material, oozing out around the beater area. I'm going to buy some new grease and have a go at cleaning and re-greasing this machine, if all goes well, I'll do the same for my Ultra Power, there are videos showing how to do it online.
KA's MSRP for grease is pretty stiff. I recall seeing the same grease elsewhere for half the price but cannot remember the particulars.

I noticed that it is going to run about $25, but at least I have two mixers to use it on, since you apparently don't need the entire can for one mixer. I am shopping around for it.

gadzooks said:
Google "food grade grease." You'll find it for less.

I found some on Amazon that might work and they claim not to split even at higher temperature. I figure that if it's good enough for commercial grade food appliances, then it should work for a home mixer.

I love it when these wonderful old KA mixers find homes that appreciate them! Congrats!

Thanks! I want to keep this running for years to come. I find it a shame that many appliances from this era were tossed aside for shinier newer junk that wasn't made to last.

I found some on Amazon that might work and they claim not to split even at higher temperature. I figure that if it's good enough for commercial grade food appliances, then it should work for a home mixer.

Good for you. I didn't pay Hobart prices for my mixer, or any of the attachments, so I don't know why I would pay Hobart prices for grease when I don't have to. Ya gotta work to make poverty tolerable. :LOL:

Which grease did you get (or are thinking about getting?) Lubriplate seems to be the go to manufacture of food grade grease and has a lot of different ones based on use.

Back
Top Bottom