Heat advisory in SE Ontario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
There is a heat advisory in effect in my area. Typically, the advisory includes going to an a/c place for 2 hours, don't leave pets or children in the car unattended. This year, the advisory includes the elderly. Drink lots of water folks, if you are also under a heat advisory, don't go out and run 10 km, etc., and if you have to be outside, make sure you slap on the sunscreen and take refuge in the shade.

There is a heat advisory in effect in my area. Typically, the advisory includes going to an a/c place for 2 hours, don't leave pets or children in the car unattended. This year, the advisory includes the elderly. Drink lots of water folks, if you are also under a heat advisory, don't go out and run 10 km, etc., and if you have to be outside, make sure you slap on the sunscreen and take refuge in the shade.
The heat's scheduled to reach us by Wednesday or Thursday. That's why we're doing our roast pork this afternoon. Wish I had a summertime basement kitchen. In the old days many dwellings had higher ceilings and even separate cook / kitchen buildings to compensate for summer heat. Before A/C, some of the upper class had their escapes to the Adirondacks and our president and 'friend of the poor' (FDR) had escapes like Campobello Island. At that time, the escape for the poor in NYC was sleeping on a fire escape.

Good advice. We are expecting temps on Wednesday and Thursday around 98º F.
Because of my mom's condition/health, my dad has to take her with in the car. She stays in the car while he runs into Wal-Mart, the bank, the feed store, etc. When I'm there, I always make sure that she has a water bottle--I doubt he thinks of that or I do the get the wheelchair, load her up, park her in a corner, run around, come back and get her thing. I can see how people would leave an elderly person in a car--it is easier than getting the person out, into a wheelchair or snapping the walker open, especially if you're only going in for a few things. But, a car heats up really fast. I have some places I want to stop, but I've had the chickens and Cliff (the dog) in the car, so have not run those errands. Doesn't look like I'll be doing those errands tomorrow or Wednesday either. The errands can wait. It is hot enough in the car when the car is moving and all those bodies are in it. I wouldn't risk a 5-minute stop enroute. Why is it that there are so few trees and shady spots in parking lots?

Because of my mom's condition/health, my dad has to take her with in the car. She stays in the car while he runs into Wal-Mart, the bank, the feed store, etc. When I'm there, I always make sure that she has a water bottle--I doubt he thinks of that or I do the get the wheelchair, load her up, park her in a corner, run around, come back and get her thing. I can see how people would leave an elderly person in a car--it is easier than getting the person out, into a wheelchair or snapping the walker open, especially if you're only going in for a few things. But, a car heats up really fast. I have some places I want to stop, but I've had the chickens and Cliff (the dog) in the car, so have not run those errands. Doesn't look like I'll be doing those errands tomorrow or Wednesday either. The errands can wait. It is hot enough in the car when the car is moving and all those bodies are in it. I wouldn't risk a 5-minute stop enroute. Why is it that there are so few trees and shady spots in parking lots?
Compared to just 50 years ago, there are less trees most everywhere. Generally, more people = less trees; particularly people / families in single occupancy dwellings.

Last edited:
The heat's scheduled to reach us by Wednesday or Thursday. That's why we're doing our roast pork this afternoon. Wish I had a summertime basement kitchen. In the old days many dwellings had higher ceilings and even separate cook / kitchen buildings to compensate for summer heat. Before A/C, some of the upper class had their escapes to the Adirondacks and our president and 'friend of the poor' (FDR) had escapes like Campobello Island. At that time, the escape for the poor in NYC was sleeping on a fire escape.
Farmhouses often had summer kitchens. I use the enclosed back porch, sawmill shed like that. I have 2-burner thingy, electric frying pan, etc., that I use outside when the heat is like this. I try not to do any cooking in the house. It does make a difference. The first house we rented in SE Ontario had a summer kitchen--it was great! We also put an electric stove and dry sink, microwave in an outbuilding at one of the houses in the city for canning. That way, we don't have to heat up the house and kick on the a/c.

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
But, a car heats up really fast. I have some places I want to stop, but I've had the chickens and Cliff (the dog) in the car, so have not run those errands.
I can just see people in passing cars.

Child: Mom! Mom! Look in that car!

Mom looks and smiles as she waves at you in the driver's seat. "That's a nice lady, honey."

Child: No! Look in the back seat. They're chickens!

Mom: Now honey. Be nice. Some children are just shy.

Child: No! They're chickens! They have pointy beaks and funny feet!

Mom: Shame on you for talking about people like that! Those poor things can't help how they look! (She turns & looks in the back seat.) Oh my! She has her children in a cage instead of a car seat! That's child abuse!

Cindercat said:
I can just see people in passing cars.

Child: Mom! Mom! Look in that car!

Mom looks and smiles as she waves at you in the driver's seat. "That's a nice lady, honey."

Child: No! Look in the back seat. They're chickens!

Mom: Now honey. Be nice. Some children are just shy.

Child: No! They're chickens! They have pointy beaks and funny feet!

Mom: Shame on you for talking about people like that! Those poor things can't help how they look! (She turns & looks in the back seat.) Oh my! She has her children in a cage instead of a car seat! That's child abuse!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom