Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Canning and Preserving (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/)
-   -   What are you canning/preserving today? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/what-are-you-canning-preserving-today-80169.html)

CWS4322 06-22-2012 08:02 AM

What are you canning/preserving today?

Since I am embarking on the summer/fall season of canning and preserving, I thought I'd start a new thread. I have "put up" 6 l of strawberry jam today. The season is almost over, so I'm off to the berry farm tomorrow to pick anouther 4-6 4-l baskets of strawberries before the season ends. What are you canning or preserving today?

PrincessFiona60 06-22-2012 08:08 AM

Um...Normal Saline for wound care.

Katie H 06-22-2012 12:02 PM

There's a stack of zucchini on the kitchen counter that needs pretty immediate attention, so I suppose that's what I'll take care of today. Not going to can it. Just slice it, put it on waxed paper-lined trays and freeze until firm, then bag.

Glenn's son, Kenneth, has brought "bounty" from his garden the last 4 nights and we're nearly covered up in yellow squash, zucchini, romaine, cabbage and green tomatoes. One day he brought 4 big grocery bags full and last night he appeared with a huge cardboard box that was filled to the top.

We've eaten all of the above until we're, um, "clean clear through," if you get what I mean and the rest will have to hit the freezer while we recover.:rofl:

Although, the fried green tomatoes the last few times turned out just toooooo good, I will make an exception with those and fix them again tonight.

CWS4322 06-22-2012 09:40 PM

Why is he picking the tomatoes green? I usually only do that when frost is threatening and then make green tomato relish...

Katie H 06-22-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1152096)
Why is he picking the tomatoes green? I usually only do that when frost is threatening and then make green tomato relish...

Because I asked him to. We love fried green tomatoes. And, believe me, he planted so many tomato plants that he could pick green tomatoes every day and never miss them.

GotGarlic 06-23-2012 02:04 PM

I have a small backyard garden that we've packed lots of veggies into :smile: Yesterday, I blanched and froze two pounds of carrots and did the same to a quart of green beans. Today, I picked a couple more zucchini, several onions, and the last of the green beans. I think I'll make zucchini-chocolate chip bread and add the green beans to the stir-fry I'm making for dinner tonight.

CWS4322 07-11-2012 04:54 AM

Today I'm making Lemon-Rosemary Pickled Green Beans and freezing a few pounds of peas. (Note: I prefer to use green bush beans, but wax beans work as well. Unless you like "pink" vinegar, the purple bush beans are not recommended. I also don't like using Pole Beans for this).

Souvlaki 07-11-2012 07:50 AM

when I have an abundance of zucchini from my garden I make a marmelade, just a thought it is really tasty.

And also a nice present for my friends.

Souvlaki 07-11-2012 07:52 AM

lettuce and cucumbers you can make a soup ...and then freeze it. That is what I did today.

FrankZ 07-11-2012 09:08 AM

I canned some pickled jalapenos a few days ago. I did six 4oz jars. We have to little bushes and I stripped em of anything of size. There were some adorable little peppers 1/4inch long.