Giving up signature recipe - Pork tenderloin w/cherry red wine balsamic glaze (favor)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppinfresh

Senior Cook
Used to guard this thing pretty closely. Long story short, there is a strong desire for the Lady of the House to win a contest @ the Bite of Seattle this year (she wants to do a public cooking demo), so giving it up. This is, quite literally, the single best pork tenderloin I've ever had in my life - and those of you who have been here a lot of years know what levels I go to for elite eats, so it's saying something. It took a lot of trial and error to come up with this yet, ironically, it's so simple to make. Seriously, this thing is awesome. Recipe is written out below, as is a link to the video showing how to make it.

Now for the favour request: When one clicks the link to the video, below that video, there is a voting button. It takes 2 seconds to click it. (Throws on guilt trip hat), In all the years I've been here, I've never asked a favor. I'm asking it now. Click the button. It would mean the world to her, and you don't even wanna know how much effort she's put into this (in spite of having the single WORST CAMERAMAN EVER....also known as me). She runs a bit behind the 8 ball because she doesn't make her career blogging about this or that, so can't really leverage some ginormous built in social network of followers like 2 of the other entrants into this thing. So, um, thank you for helping her :).

OK, so: Grilled pork tenderloin w/ cherries & an aged balsamic, red wine and port glaze....

The link, along with the reasons why we've chosen some of the ingredients we have:

The Bite Cooks! @ Home Video Contest is Now Open! *:: Video Contest :: Bite of Seattle

The recipe:

-2 pork tenderloins
-2 cups Rainier cherries (2 cups whatever cherries if you aren't lucky enough to have access to Rainiers), pitted and halved - plus some extras for garnish
-1 cup red wine (we always use pinot noir)
-3/4 cup port (we use tawny, ruby is fine if that's your thing)
-1.5T brown sugar
-4T aged fig balsamic vinegar (fig balsamic really brings this thing to a whole new level, but if you don't have it, whatever balsamic you do have will be fine)
-1.5T extra virgin olive oil
-Chopped cilantro (eyeball a couple tablespoons), plus uncut sprigs for garnish
-Salt (we use Utah Basin salt for pre-cooking and Murray River flake salt for finishing, but whatever you have)
-Pepper (we use Lampong pepper, but whatever you've got)

1) Mix together the cherries, the red wine, the port, the balsamic, the brown sugar, the olive oil, and the cilantro into a large Ziploc bag until the sugar has dissolved. Add the pork tenderloins.
2) Zip up and refrigerate/marinate for between 4-9 hours; the longer the better
3) Take out the tenderloins from the bag, salt and pepper both sides (not with the finishing flake salt if you're using it, just the Utah basin) and put on a plate for 30 minutes to allow to come to room temperature. Whilst this is happening, put the marinade (cherries and all!) in a saucepan and reduce until you get a syrupy consistency (think pancake syrup).

4) Divergent techniques:

IF GRILLING:

Preheat one side of your grill to screaming high heat. Preheat the other side to about 425 degrees. ***Grilling is better***

IF COOKING INDOORS:

Heat a grill pan over high heat, and your oven to 425. If you don't have a grill pan, just skip that part

5) Whichever method you choose, once you have the pork to room temperature, sear the pork on all sides for about 30 seconds a side in order to get some char marks/lock in the flavour. Don't cook it through.

6) Then, either move the tenderloins to the other side of the grill that's not screaming hot, or else to the oven, and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of about 125 degrees. This will take less than 10 minutes, typically.

7) Baste the tenderloins with the now-reduced glaze. Don't put the cherries on it just yet. Also don't use all of the glaze.

8) Continue cooking until the tenderloins reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees. This should only take a few more minutes.

9) Allow the pork to rest for 10 minutes. Cut it into about 3/4" slices, then drizzle most of the remainder of the glaze *and* the cherries on top of the pork. Garnish with some sprigs of fresh cilantro and some uncooked cherry halves, and serve. This pork will literally burst with flavor every bite, I promise you.

The finished product:

img_1154339_0_b8049459e4771b5bd9d45d318d47a192.jpg

Again, please click & vote if you like it or if you just want to be friendly :).

The Bite Cooks! @ Home Video Contest is Now Open! *:: Video Contest :: Bite of Seattle

Last edited:
Looks like a tasty recipe, but isn't it awfully sweet? I'll vote for your sweetie when the video finishes.

I just sold the recipe to a third world country in exchange for blood diamonds and some organic coffee beans........J/K......Looks pretty darn good!

Looks like a tasty recipe, but isn't it awfully sweet? I'll vote for your sweetie when the video finishes.

Nope. It has some sweetness to it, but it's pretty muted. I generally don't like my savory entrees like pork to be overly sweet.

If that's a concern, then go with a plain balsamic vinegar instead of one infused with fig (or some other type of fruit - we're gonna try a blackberry balsamic later this year), as that will mellow things out.

Back
Top Bottom