Merced College Girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elizabeth.okane

Assistant Cook
Hello!

I am new here and excited to share/learn new recipes! I love to eat haha but who doesn't? Any other college or Merced locals?

Hi Elizabeth :)

It is great that you could join us here at DC
thumb.gif

Yeah, I attend the UC here. It's a small town, but developing quickly!

Gotta watch those 'Develooping quickly' California Towns. I hit San Diego in 1976. I had so much fun there, even though I was in the Navy. Dirt biking trails were amazing. LaJolla beach was amazing. Scuba diving was amazing. And I made some very good freinds there, and eventually, met my wife in nearby El Cajon. On a vaction, we tried to take a trip from San Diego to my home town (where I live now), Sault Ste. Marie, MI. We went through Barstow. It was so hot, leaving Barstow at night (about 115'F.) that we warped a cast iron head in a Dodge van with a 318 V8. Now you have to understand that this engine was bomb-proof. It was known for its rugged, take anything, dependability.

Barstow was the hottest week I've ever had, anywhere. I lived under the hotel room air conditioner, and in the pool, and so did my wife and children. But it was a small town, where we truly didn't know if we would find a mechanic to replace the warped head. It's also the home of Carlos & Totos Mexican Restaurant, where they make the best fried ice cream I've ever eaten.

Ten years later, we drove through Barstow, on our way to El Cajon, from Sault Ste. Marie, to visit Grandma. The twon is now immense, with urban sprawl everywhere. And the places just south of Imperial Beach, where I did most of my dirt biking, is now covered with houses. There was no place to get away from the crowd anymore.

So enjoy your small town while you can. If history is the example, it won't stay small for very long.

Oh, and welcome to DC. You're gonna love it here. And now you know why they call me Chief Longwind of the North:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hello!

I am new here and excited to share/learn new recipes! I love to eat haha but who doesn't? Any other college or Merced locals?
Elizabeth, Welcome to DC. I'm close by in Modesto...Enjoy you college years and DC.
kadesma:)

I know what you mean by a small town exploding. The town in Texas where my son was born had a 12 bed hospital whick included the cot in the doctor's lounge. Today it has a major six story hospital that serves three surrounding towns. It has gone from country dirt roads to a major six lane interstate highway. :)

Oh my goodness.....near Yosemite, you lucky girl. Been camping there more times than I can count. Welcome!

On the other side of the mountain from Yosemite is Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort. Got North, past Mammoth Mountain, and you will enter a valley that has natural effervessant water bubbling up for a soda spring, the gorgous Rainbow Falls, and open fissure of the San Andreas Fault, Devil's Postpile, available horseback riding, a great fishing lake, a wild river, and Red's Meadow Campground that has a multi-room bath house with water from a hot spring piped into the shower heads. It's a truly great campground that's off of most campers beaten path. We saw bear, deer, feasted on rainbow and brown trout that we caught, and had generally a grand time. If you're going to camp in the High Sierras, then I recommend Red's Meadow Campground. My DW, and kids, and I went there for thirty days every summer while I was stationed in San Diego, while in the Navy. This is going to be hard for me to say, as I love my U.P. so much, but it's possibly the best family camping that we ever did.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom