What are you eating and/or drinking to adapt to your weather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
102 F here. Today it's at least one cup of water before each glass of soda (My personal rule). To keep cool it's homemade guacamole & chips, taco salad, & ice cream - LOTS of ICE cream. Tomorrow there might be some thing icy ending in Rita. TBA...
So what are you all doing to conquer your weather unpleasantness?

Water, water, water. Keeping sodas at a minimum. I just finished a cider vinegar beverage, diluted and with a little honey to help quench my thirst. Lots of crushed ice and more water.

For the dog days of summer, I switch from Crown Royal ont the rocks to either Tanq and tonic or pineapple juice with coconut rum.

Tuna salad, Korean takeout, light cranberry juice with iced Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Red Zinger, looking at Cheryl J's fruit salad, and what Andy said.

metromint h2o, usually. sometimes gatorade. plain bottled h2o. sometimes juice.

Since I have to watch my fluid intake I'm spending as much time as possible in the pool.
kades

I made huge sub sandwiches that when broiled don't heat up the house for more than a minute. DH complained. So tomorrow I will either fix something that makes this place feel like Hades or I will refuse to cook for him at all. At the moment it feels like the latter option is going to win out.

A watermelon Mojito pop would make me feel better 'bout now

Watermelon Mojito Cocktail Pops Recipe from Betty Crocker

Water, water & more water., Try to cut down on alcohol, as it dehydrates me.

Salads & more salads.

Pasta salad

fruit salad

fruit, fruit, fruit - right now I have strawberries, grapes, bananas, cherries, & a pink grapefruit fruit cup in the fridge.

I like cut up strawberries, bananas & blueberries w/ sour cream

gazpacho or white gazpacho with cold grapes

Nuked potato with cottage cheese & sour cream

grilled veggies, seafood/fish, poultry

Chicken, shrimp or tuna salad in melon or avocado halves

Blueberrry or cherry blintzes w/ sour cream

Quiche

Since my kitchen is not air conditioned, in the hottest months I make foods that I can cook in my wee hours of insomnia, the coolest part of the day. I boil pasta or potatoes, make taboule or couscous. I refridgerate it and go back to sleep, if I'm lucky. When the hottest hours, i.e., the hours when you'd normally prepare dinner/supper, come around, I go and chop and season and toss what I've cooked earlier. And -- voila! Cold dinner for two without heating the kitchen.

A big one for me is that (there are two of us) I never let a charcoal go to waste. When we cook out, I cook enough meat and vegetables for several meals. Then I use the extra, usually cold, sometimes nuked, in future meals. For example, while cooking, say, a couple of steaks over the coals, I also do a packet of onions in foil, maybe some squash, eggplant, etc. While eating, I slow cook a bunch of chicken breasts or a beef roast. Those I use for future meals, taking them out of the freezer and chop or slice into aforementioned cold starches.

For instant cooling, I keep the smallest, lowest sugar popsicle type stuff I can find in the freezer. I've even been known to have half one, stick in a baggie, and throw back into the freezer to cool me down in a couple of hours.

Keeping my doggie hydrated is something as well. After having two Jack Russell/Chihuahua mixes who loved the heat and would wallow in the dirt in 115 degree heat, I have a gal who kinda looks like them but loves the cold. I put a bowl of ice out for her if we're spending more than a half hour outside.

Hosing the yard down helps keep the inside temp down, a trick I learned in Hawaii, where we had neither heat nor A/C. If we're planning on spending time on our back porch in the afternoon/evening, I water later in the day and hose the entire side of the house, the brick porch, and all the garden/plants before we go out. You'd be amazed at how much cooler it makes it. I have to water them anyway, so might as well make it pleasant for us.

Husband, as he gets older, is becoming less heat tolerant, and we don't have central a/c. I'm trying to make it so that he doesn't hibernate next to a window a/c unit, and gets outside!

Mediterranean & International Coolers

:yum: Buon Giorno,

Exemplary question ...

1) Classic Niçoise ( Posted in Salads by Me )
2) Horiatiki ( Greek Salad in Greek )
3) Classic Caesar
4) Ceviche ( Peruvian Recipe by Gastón Acurió )
5) Gazpacho ( Classic Tomato )
6) Insalata di Mare ( Shellfish & Seafood Salad )
7) Little to no Red Meat
8) Ventresca ( Cuca Brand ) Tuna in Jar with Basque Piquillo Sweet Peppers on a bed of assorted greens
9) chicken breast salad with dill and walnuts and home made Ali Oli, which is simply whisked in a metal bowl as follow: EVOO + EGG
10) Shrimp Salad ( posted in salad section )
11) Countless Mediterranean Shrimp Recipes, Mediterranean Clams called Chirlas, Boquerones ( fresh anchovies ), Cod fish with tomato, and Squid Grilled ...
12) Arugula or Rocket with Radicchio, Evoo, Modena Balsamic Vinegar and Cherry tomatoes
13) Home made bread ( warmed ) with a little Sea Salt & Evoo to dunk
14) FRESH tropical fruit
15) on occasion Jalisco style Guacamole which I prepare in a volcanic stone Aztec Molcajete bowl which resembles a mortar however, much larger and a stone Pestle to crush the ingredients ... I prefer mine with: avocado, Evoo, fresh Lime, fresh Cilantro, White Spanish Onion, salt and black pepper freshly ground and garlic minced of course ... In Jalisco, tomato is not put into guacamole, as it makes it too acidic. I also prefer mine, CHUNKY not smooth ... Of course with Corn Chips, which I buy from a Mexican Friend of many years and he prepares them at his Restaurant called TODO A MEXICO ...

I normally drink alot of water during the day ... So, if walking to subway for example, I always have a bottle or two in my big shoulder bag ...

I always drink Sparkling water San Pellegrino at home, however, I have tried several Spanish brands in stop offs to see clients or review a venue.

*** Very little at night and very light; usually, some cod fish with tomato or shrimp or squid; a white wine or two; or a Tinto de Verano, made with red wine, orange and lemon zest and club soda ... Sometimes, just a French style omelette with some chives, salt and freshly ground pep.

At the weekends, we go out with friends, or have invited them as they invite us ... However, it is norm, to eat light at night for us ... and low fat, just some protein and a salad ... some Prosecco and / or other wine variety ...

Have a lovely 4th,
Margi.

Last edited:
Yep, lots of fruit salads, and green salads, and a LOT of water, I drink many glasses of water daily all throughout the year anyway. Tuna or egg salad sandwiches, mixed bean salads....there are so many possibilities....I haven't even turned on my oven in a couple of months. :)

And ice cream or sorbet. :yum:

we drink lots and lots of water, seltzer, and unsweetened iced tea.

dw just bought some of the new poland spring sparkling water. i think some of the flavours taste like bug spray, but dw and my boy seem to like them.

and i get to teach him how to burp the alphabet... :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom