Black Beans & Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Black Beans & Rice

It won't be exactly the same, but you can save a considerable amount of time by using canned black beans.
Ingredients
1 lb. dried Black Beans (3 cups), picked over and rinsed
8 cups Water
6 cloves Garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp. dried Oregano
1 Bay Leaf
2 tsp. Olive Oil
1 large Onion, chopped
1 red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp. Salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
2 cups long-grain white Rice
1 Lime, sliced into 8 Wedges

Method

Soak the beans in cold water overnight making sure all beans are covered by 2-inches of water.

Drain and rinse the beans. Place them in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add 4 cups of water, the garlic, oregano, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, approximately 2-hours. Drain the beans and return to the pot or Dutch oven.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5-minutes. Add the cumin and jalapeno, and cook, stirring until softened, about 1-minute more.

Stir the onion mixture and vinegar into beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the remaining 4 cups of water and 1 tsp. salt to a boil. Add the rice, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, approximately 15 to 20-minutes.

Serve the beans over the rice with the lime wedges on the side of the serving dish.

I made this recipe last night. It was very good. The beans were a bit dryish though. I like my black beans with some "sauce". I'll have to try adding some extra water and saucing it up a bit next time.

My husband loves this recipe. He likes me to add some crumbled chorizo or hot Italian sausage.

jbib said:
My husband loves this recipe. He likes me to add some crumbled chorizo or hot Italian sausage.
Those are both good ideas, Jbib. I think that some large-ish sized shrimp or even cubes of chicken meat could be good too :)

Back
Top Bottom