Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Fish & Seafood (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Smoking smelts? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/smoking-smelts-80388.html)

howzit 07-02-2012 10:40 PM

Smoking smelts?

I love smoked fish, any fish. I buy canned Sprats from Russia and they are delicious; very smokey flavor. I've had fried smelts and like them. has anyone ever tried smoking smelts? Any suggestions? Thanks

buckytom 07-03-2012 02:11 AM

i'm very interested in the responses to this thread.

i've wanted to smoke fish, any whole fish, for a while now. from trout, to mullet, to whiting.

my family loves fried smelts, i'd bet they'd be great smoked.

Harry Cobean 07-03-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howzit (Post 1156332)
I love smoked fish, any fish. I buy canned Sprats from Russia and they are delicious; very smokey flavor. I've had fried smelts and like them. has anyone ever tried smoking smelts? Any suggestions? Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom (Post 1156372)
i'm very interested in the responses to this thread.

i've wanted to smoke fish, any whole fish, for a while now. from trout, to mullet, to whiting.

my family loves fried smelts, i'd bet they'd be great smoked.

love smoked anything-fish,bacon,chicken,duck etc.best smoked fish i've had bucky was at bolas's.he did bass,trout & mackerel(brined 1st).the mackerel was outstanding.mackerel is my fav fish....amazing isn't it,the cheapest most plentiful fish outta the sea & imo the best:yum:!
i live in an apartment so conventional smoking is not on the cards.i do a "cheats smoke".line a wok with foil,chuck in some soft brown sugar mixed with tea leaves,cover with another layer of foil with holes punched in it,put in the wok's rack,fish on the rack,lid on,on the heat,20mins later hot smoked fish or whatever you put in.i always brine the food before smoking,don't see why it wouldn't work with smelts

CWS4322 07-03-2012 06:37 AM

I've never had smoked smelts, but would probably like them if they were moist smoked instead of dry. Curious if anyone living in MN, MI, or WI has eaten smoked smelt (I'll have to look at the locker plant next time I go to northern MN). A quick search on the Internet, and it would seem that smoking smelts is common--Alton Brown even has a recipe.

justplainbill 07-03-2012 07:18 AM

Scales on & guts in?

Chief Longwind Of The North 07-03-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howzit (Post 1156332)

I personally haven't smoked smelt. But my Dad did, and they were superb. To smoke them, he brined them, then brushed with a brown sugar glaze. He put them into his "Li'l Indian" smoker with hickory. It was like eating candy, only better. The smelt flavor came through, in combination with the smoke and brown sugar flavors. I remember eating the smelt, bones and all. It was almost a ritual during smelt season in the U.P. We normally just dredged them in flour, pan fried in a little oil, salted them, and munched them down. But the smoked smelt he made that one year were truly a treat. Just don't make the brine too salty. If I recall, you should be using a cup of salt for every gallon of water.

I wish I had the recipe he used, to give to you. Sorry.:sad:

You don't know what good memories you have invoked within me, with this thread. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

CWS4322 07-03-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplainbill (Post 1156452)
Scales on & guts in?

I don't remember that the smelt we'd eat (just the way Chief mentioned--dredged in flour and fried) had "scales" on them. Smelt aren't very big. When the smelt would start running in early, early spring, it was a ritual to go smelting...yes-memories here too!

GotGarlic 07-03-2012 02:07 PM

I have those same memories, CSW. Spring smelting and lots of yummy little fried fish.

CraigC 07-03-2012 02:27 PM

Been a long time since I smoked any fish. When I did it was with an el cheapo water smoker. I used ice in the water pan, which kinda acted as a cold smoker. Back then I only used hickory chips and I think it took 3-4 hours. I'm sure I brined the filets first.

howzit 07-03-2012 02:33 PM

Thank you all for your posts...

I feel inspired! I have a bunch at home and I'm gonna' smoke 'em tomorrow. They have the heads and insides removed. I'm going to use my usual brine (someone suggested maple, so I think I'll add some maple syrup to the brine) and soak 'em for about 45 minutes, then smoke 'em for 20-30 minutes. I always use water in my smoker. I will use hickory for a strong smoky flavor. I'll let you know how they come out. Thanks again for all your thoughts and suggestions. Check back Thursday to see if I was a success or a flop.