NYC Hero Or Phily Hoagie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:) Buon Giorno Ladies & Gents,

As I am leaving tomorrow morning, at 7am for Puglia, I have decided to make myself a NYC Hero, or Submarine Sandwich or Phily Hoagie ...

Do you NYC HERO AND / OR PHILY HOAGIE ? What is your take on this famous SUBMARINE SANDWICH ? Would enjoy hearing from all of you.

Historical: Domenico Conti, and Italian American, opened a tiny grocery shop in Paterson, New Jersey, the city well known for its Colt Pistols Factory and Great Falls and thus, the sandwich became popular when the very famous Holland Submarine was on exhibit in West Paterson Park, New Jersey and resembled the sandwich !

Here are the ingredients from my favorite NYC Little Italy Deli ... :yum:

Italian style bread baugette ( hero bread )
shredded lettuce of choice
Evoo and Red Wine Vinegar
salt, black pepper and dried oregano to taste
Proscuitto di Parma
Thinly sliced Italian Salami
provolone
gorgonzola or asiago or a young Reggiano Parmesano
thinly sliced ripe tomato slices
onion very thinly sliced
dill pickle thinly sliced
Mustard of choice ( I use Dijón Green Peppercorn )

1. Layer the sandwich as you wish landing up with pickles as last layer and cheese just below the pickles ( one can toast broil if they wish )

2. Spread mustard of choice on the bread slices

3. Other options: Roast Turkey Slices to sub the Salami

Enjoy, Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano

Last edited:
Hero for a hungry person=
Crusty bread 260 g
Salami(Milanese, Genovese or Sopresatta) 200 g
Provolone Piccante 75 g
Oil packed roasted sweet peppers 50 g
Hot red pepper flakes 1 tbs
Thinly sliced & shredded large sweet onion 2-3 slices
Un poco oregano
Drizzled with olive oil

Last edited:
Bill: Both Of Your Heroes Sound Delicious

:yum: Thanks alot for your feedback and contribution. The Meatball Hero from Brooklyn sounds quite tempting ...

I used to travel via subway to a pizzeria, hole in the wall near Brooklyn College on Avenue J which prepared a pizza to die for and meatball heroes, worthy to remember ...

Leaving for Puglia, 7am Friday.

SUMMER PLANS ?

All my best,
Ciao, Margaux Cintrano. :cool: ;)

Steve: Thanks for your Feedback

Yes, Shrimp Salad, a fave of our´s ... Thanks for your contribution.

I prepare a lovely one which I posted in the salad section.

Summer Plans ?

Leaving for Puglia, Italia Friday 7am, and shall return to Madrid August 31st ...

Kind regards.
Margi. ;) :cool:

Soft-shell blue crab Po Boy or oyster Po Boy would be my hero/hoagie/sub/grinder type sandwich choice!:yum:

Craig,

Sounds delicious. Have not had a Maryland soft shell blue crab Po Boy since I had been in Washington D.C. vicinity in 2011.

Thanks for feedback.
Margaux.

Not quite sure they spice them the same way in Maryland as they do in NO and I'm darn sure the bread and remoulade isn't the same.;)

From this Marylanders point of view it's about the soft crab and not the spices. I like them with simply a little salt & pepper in the flour.
For the bread I'd go with an Italian roll. Maybe,just maybe I'd put a dab of Mayo on it. But chances are I'd just eat the crab before it even had a chance to see the bread. :yum:

For a sub I like Ham,Salami(your choice),Cheese(again your choice),and lettuce.
EVOO on the Italian roll. Or Mustard & Mayo. If the latter is the choice then I'll want pickels. Either Dill or Bread & Butter.

:yum: Thanks alot for your feedback and contribution. The Meatball Hero from Brooklyn sounds quite tempting ...

I used to travel via subway to a pizzeria, hole in the wall near Brooklyn College on Avenue J which prepared a pizza to die for and meatball heroes, worthy to remember ...

SUMMER PLANS ?

All my best,
Too bad you missed the Italian eateries around McDonald Ave and 18th Ave in Brooklyn. They're all gone now.

SUMMER PLANS ?

All my best,
Too bad you probably missed the Italian eateries that used to be around McDonald Ave and 18th Ave. The neighborhood has changed and they're all gone now.

From this Marylanders point of view it's about the soft crab and not the spices. I like them with simply a little salt & pepper in the flour.
For the bread I'd go with an Italian roll. Maybe,just maybe I'd put a dab of Mayo on it. But chances are I'd just eat the crab before it even had a chance to see the bread. :yum:

For a sub I like Ham,Salami(your choice),Cheese(again your choice),and lettuce.
EVOO on the Italian roll. Or Mustard & Mayo. If the latter is the choice then I'll want pickels. Either Dill or Bread & Butter.

Trust me the crab is not lost in a Po Boy. I like soft-shells just pan sauted as well. I prefer Maryland style crab soup and I certainly prefer steamed hard-shells over boiled.;) The point of my post was, you can call a sandwich a Po Boy, but IMHO, if it ain't spicy, has remoulade and dressed, it ain't real!:LOL: I hope this isn't deja Vu!:ohmy:

Trust me the crab is not lost in a Po Boy. I like soft-shells just pan sauted as well. I prefer Maryland style crab soup and I certainly prefer steamed hard-shells over boiled.;) The point of my post was, you can call a sandwich a Po Boy, but IMHO, if it ain't spicy, has remoulade and dressed, it ain't real!:LOL: I hope this isn't deja Vu!:ohmy:
You be from NYC or Phily?

You be from NYC or Phily?

I be a native Floridian. Very rare species here. Don't rekalect venturing above the Mason-Dixon often. Only passed through your neck-o-the woods airports on the way to Europe. What does NYC or Phily have in common with a NOLA created sandwich?

Back
Top Bottom