Watermelon ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Watermelon season is here! Awesome - I love the stuff, but could use some serving ideas and recipes. I recently made a salad of chopped watermelon with a crumble of feta and some snipped mint that was pretty good.

What do you do with watermelon?

My favorite recipe for watermelon has four ingredients: watermelon, a sharp knife, a plate, and a napkin (or stack of them). I love, love, love sweet, crisp, ice cold watermelon all by itself. :yum:

We had a country style pork rib dish week before last. It had asian flavors and a lightly pickled watermelon side dish. The recipe came from a recent BA mag.

My favorite recipe for watermelon has four ingredients: watermelon, a sharp knife, a plate, and a napkin (or stack of them). I love, love, love sweet, crisp, ice cold watermelon all by itself. :yum:

I'm right there with you. :) Plain, cold, and unadulterated. :yum:

Remove the seeds, puree in a blender, & pour into ice cube trays. Plunk a watermelon ice cube in your vodka ;-)

Drizzled w/ balsamic vinegar.

In a salad with crab or shrimp salad & mixed greens.

Cut the melon in rectangles, top w/ brie, wrap with prosciutto.

cut a hole in it,push in the end of a funnel,put it in the fridge & top up the funnel each day with white rum or vodka,or,ummm,both:ohmy::wacko:!
chop into chunks,eat,fall over:LOL:!!

Remove the seeds, puree in a blender, & pour into ice cube trays. Plunk a watermelon ice cube in your vodka ;-)

Drizzled w/ balsamic vinegar.

In a salad with crab or shrimp salad & mixed greens.

Cut the melon in rectangles, top w/ brie, wrap with prosciutto.
Rachel Ray recently did a segment on watermelon:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/rrmag/...hType=recipes&searchString=watermelon&x=0&y=0

Steven and Chris have some good sounding watermelon recipes:

Steven and Chris

The LCBO Food and Drink magazine also does:

Recipe Search Results

Southern Living does as well:

15 Delicious Watermelon Recipes - Southern Living

Let us know which, if any, you try! I'm liking the watermelon ice cube idea...

I tend to cut a wedge, sit on the back steps, and see how far I can spit the seeds...although I'm liking Harry's way of eating watermelon...

Last edited:
I've never done this in an ice cream maker, but I've made this, or a version of it, several times. I've subbed out raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries and it works. I've added a wee bit of vodka (maybe more than a wee bit), and that works too.

Watermelon Sorbet

Watermelon pie

grrek recipe

Ingredients:

2 kg watermelon -without seeds

500 gr white sugar

800-900 grams self-rising flour

1/3 teaspoon Cinnamon powder

1/4 teaspoon Clover powder

½ cup honey

A bit of oil for baking

Sesame

Drain and mash the watermelon. In a large bowl mix it with sugar, flour, cinnamon and ½ cup of honey. Stir.
Oil a baking pan. Sprinkle some sesame on the bottom. Put the mixture in and sprinkle more sesame and a little bit of oil over the top.
Bake at 180 Celsius for 3 hours.

The pie has to be thin very thin in order to be baked.

Do you have a recipe? I'd love to give that a try with the ice cream maker!!

I just puree and pour it into the machine, no additions. It is usually sweet enough to stand on it's own. I've done the same with cantaloupe and honeydew, they need a little water to puree and must be very ripe.

cut a hole in it,push in the end of a funnel,put it in the fridge & top up the funnel each day with white rum or vodka,or,ummm,both:ohmy::wacko:!
chop into chunks,eat,fall over:LOL:!!
You missed part about running around in your underwear with the empty watermelon shell on your head like a helmet repeating the words, Take me to your leader. Then waking up the next morning outside on the picnic table not being to remember any of it....:LOL:

Last edited:
You missed part about running around in your underwear with the empty watermelon shell on your head like a helmet repeating the words, Take me to your leader. Then waking up the next morning outside on the picnic table not being to remember any of it....:LOL:
That explains what happens at my neighbour's annual family reunion the long weekend in August...wondered about that stranger I'd find under my picnic table with a watermelon on his head...he'll really get a surprise this year when he meets Cocky Rocky under there!

These are some awesome ideas! Keep em coming. I'm intrigued by watermelon pie and am going to try it. This week we've had watermelon grilled, frozen, salad-ized and plain. There's more melon in the fridge....

hey rock!that's me BEFORE the watermelon.....love parties me!!

Puree a few cups of the fruit and infuse into vodka for watermelon-flavored vodka. I was going to mention pickled watermelon rind, as well. I made some last year and they were fantastic :) I love having them with pulled pork sandwiches.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom