Violet Balsamic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
While on a trip through Missouri last month, we stopped at an olive oil shop and I picked up a product I wasn't familiar with: Violet Balsamic Vinegar (18 year old balsamic vinegar infused with violets). After we got home, I promptly stuck it in the pantry and didn't think much more about it. Then last night, while looking for something else, I stumbled across the bottle and thought I would use it to make a vinaigrette.

Wow! :ohmy:

I could drink this stuff straight from the bottle. It has the distinct flavor and sweetness of Balsamic, but with "something" in the background that does remind me of flowers. Mind you, I've never eaten a violet in my life, so I couldn't tell you what they taste like.

I'm trying to come up with additional uses for it. I'm thinking it would work well as an ingredient in sauce for duck, or even as a topping for ice cream.

So now I'm curious. Has anyone else run across this product, and if so, how did you use it? If you haven't tried it, you really should. It's awesome.

We're having a progressive dinner at our house this coming Friday and I am in charge of the main course. I've already planned on grilled Salmon. I wonder if this balsamic could be reduced to make a glaze for the fish.

While on a trip through Missouri last month, we stopped at an olive oil shop and I picked up a product I wasn't familiar with: Violet Balsamic Vinegar (18 year old balsamic vinegar infused with violets). After we got home, I promptly stuck it in the pantry and didn't think much more about it. Then last night, while looking for something else, I stumbled across the bottle and thought I would use it to make a vinaigrette.

Wow! :ohmy:

I could drink this stuff straight from the bottle. It has the distinct flavor and sweetness of Balsamic, but with "something" in the background that does remind me of flowers. Mind you, I've never eaten a violet in my life, so I couldn't tell you what they taste like.

I'm trying to come up with additional uses for it. I'm thinking it would work well as an ingredient in sauce for duck, or even as a topping for ice cream.

So now I'm curious. Has anyone else run across this product, and if so, how did you use it? If you haven't tried it, you really should. It's awesome.
I feel that way about the lime olive oil I picked up in Chicago last year. I would think that you could take violets and infuse white wine vinegar with them...I've done that with other things (rosemary, lavender, etc.). Sounds great--I've done the sugar violets when baking, but never thought to do vinegar with them....now I'm thinking infuse vodka! I love lavender-rosemary infused vodka (probably more than I should--but it is really tasty).

Flowers in Salads

Steve,

I would like to thank you for such a lovely post. It is very common here in the Mediterranean to buy edible flowers for salads and extract of floral vinegars too ...

Lovely bouquets too.

I employ rose petals in my salads as well as violets and yellow or red pansies.

Have lovely wkend.
Margi.

Steve,

I believe Violet vinaigrette glaze with salmon would be quite stunning ...

Quite some time ago, I had prepared a vanilla glaze for salmon and it was lovely.

Why don´t you do a mini test run before your dinner ?

It is very common in the prior Moorish ruled provinces
of Spain and Italia, to combine fruit and flowers with fish, poultry and / or meats.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
Since you said you could drink the stuff, why not? Maybe mix with some seltzer, some vodka, garnish with an edible flower.

Sounds like good stuff, will have to look for it!

Last edited:
I think making a glaze for salmon would be delicious. Another way to use it would be as a drizzle over bruschetta topped with goat cheese and roasted red peppers or mesclun mix.

Drizzled over ice cream would be delish.

Drizzle over strawberries

Strawberry (or strawberry/avocado) balsamic salsa to serve with fish, or with chips.

Last edited:
Steve, is it White Balsamic with violets?

I came across White Balsamic Vinegar at Trader Joe's and I like it a lot. A few days ago I made a white mushroom salad with shaved Parmesan and parsley that was wonderful.
The dressing made with White Balsamic kept the sliced mushrooms both beautiful and delicious. If yours is white also, I think the flavor with violets would be over the moon.

the first thing that came to mind was marinated, grilled mushrooms. i just made some the other night using raspberry balsamic, and i'll bet the floral one you have would "gild refined gold, paint the lily. to throw a perfume on the violet".

Steve, is it White Balsamic with violets?
Kayelle, it's a dark balsamic.

I drizzled some over a bowl of cherries last night. It was out of this world. I'm working on a glaze for Friday's meal. This vinegar also seems to pair well with maple syrup, so that may be a good start for my sauce. :chef:

Kayelle, it's a dark balsamic.

I drizzled some over a bowl of cherries last night. It was out of this world. I'm working on a glaze for Friday's meal. This vinegar also seems to pair well with maple syrup, so that may be a good start for my sauce. :chef:
Where did you find this vinegar? Did you infuse it yourself? I'm thinking white wine vinegar infused with violets....have you tried it on strawberries or blueberries?

Back
Top Bottom