Hot Dog Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok, I made a new hot dog sandwich, at least new to me, and it was really good. My challenge to all my friends at DC is to make a new hot dog sandwich, that you've never heard of or tried, and then describe the flavor.

Here's mine:
1 slice 8-grain bread

2 thin lines of Sriracha sauce just right of the middle, then spread over the left half of the bread

1 thin line ketchup just right of the middle. spread over the right half of the bread

1 slice Muenster cheese to cover the bread

4 slices of good pepperoni to cover the bread

1 Nathan's Hot dog

Build in the order of ingredients given. Heat for 45 seconds in microwave.

The flavor is ballanced and rich, with no one flavor bullying its way through. The bread adds a wonderful texture with all of the wheat berries. The cheese adds a bit of creamness. I will be making this sandwich again as the pepperoni and hot dog just compliment each other so well. Who knew? Add the Sriracha and ketchup lightly for additional complexity.

Ok. Your turn.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

1 Pkg Nathans hotdogs
1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 Pkg Martin's potato bread hotdog buns
2 Tbsp vege oil
Hot sauce of choice
Favorite mustard

Split hotdogs lengthwise, but do not cut through. Brown hotdogs, on both sides, in skillet over medium high heat. Remove and set aside. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat bottom. Add onion and cook until soft. Add stewed tomatoes and as much hot sauce as you like. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add hotdogs back and warm through.

To serve, "close" hotdog and place in bun. Spoon tomato and onion sauce on top. Add mustard and more hot sauce (if desired). Enjoy!;)

Last edited:
Last week I grilled up some locally made cheddar jalapeno dogs and topped them with my homemade hot pepper relish, chopped onions, and sour cream. :yum:

Another one we like is "reuben dogs", where you take a polish and top it with kraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing. Sometimes I make pumpernickel rolls, if I have the time. One of my favorites.

Ok...I got this idea. Haven't done it yet, most likely will be tomorrow.
Split some Nathan's hot dogs lengthwise, not cutting all the way through. Mix up some jerk marinade. Let 'em sit in the marinade a few hours.
Grill til nicely browned around the edges. Slip a couple of the dogs into a piece of whole wheat pita.
Apply a liberal dose of peach mango salsa with some sriracha mixed in it.
Top with some chopped scallion and roasted jalapeños.
Serve with a nice IPA, porter, or stout!

oh man, i have to make all of these, especially steve's reuben dog and hoot's jerk dog with mango salsa.

LOL...I am pretty tall and quite slim, but not skinny :LOL:

I dont plump in a hot tub though :LOL:

But even with all this...it does not stop me feeling like a hot dog

My favorite hot dogs are either a doggie in a hd/bun or a soft corn tortilla no cheese, no onion, nothing exceot Woody's bbq sauce, a slight taste of smoke, a slight taste of warmth that is it. Love this sauce it's wonderful.
kades

i was just reading this thread to a coworker and she said she had a good dog idea: a scotch hot dog.

encase a hot dog in either sausage meat or ground beef, and either broil, bake, or deep fry.

i love the idea.

additionally, she said that you can wrap the dog in cheese first, or onions, or chilli, or whatever, then cover with the sausage/ground beef.

Last edited:
I'ld make my own: Grind up pork belly, mixed with some brisket, add into the mix, ginger, a little anise, some coriander. . . natural casing. Star cut the ends, char grill(star cut ends will give a crispy "burnt bit at the start and finish). Serve on a butter toasted hawaiian Style sweet bread roll. As condiments: Maybe some Wasabi Aioil, or some Siracha. As a topping, Green onions, grilled Kim Chi, and crispy fried won-ton strips. . . or. Cabbage slaw with Mirin, soy, Sesame, Brown Sugar, carrots, and daikon?

I also think something like a Good ole, Pork and Beef dog, with ground mustard seed, sugar, a little rye, and in some sort of pretzel style roll, with spicy mustard, demi infused kraut, pickled beets for crunch, and a little aioli would be nice.

A Lamb dog, with with Cucumber Mint salsa, yogurt sauce, fried onions, a little sumac, and crumbled Feta in a Pita Pocket? Maybe some Pepperoncini too?

Just take a nice, Proper dog, like a Nathans, or boars head, wrap in bacon, deep fry(like a ripper), and a good ole potato hot fog bun, with avocado ranch, bibb lettuce, slices of avocado, Frenchs Fried Onions, and tomato slices for a "upscale" BLT dog.

The Loaded Potato Dog

A baked potato serves as the bun.

Bake a potato, slice in half lengthwise, but not all the way through.

Hollow out the potato, leaving about 1/4". (Save potato filling for another use.)

Place dog in baked potato (bun).

Top w/ any combo of choice, i.e.

Pico de gallo

Guacamole or diced avocado

Cooked cumbled bacon

Shredded cheese, i.e. Monterey Jack and/or Colby (optional)

Last edited:
The Loaded Potato Dog

A baked potato serves as the bun.

Bake a potato, slice in half lengthwise, but not all the way through.

Hollow out the potato, leaving about 1/4". (Save potato filling for another use.)

Place dog in baked potato (bun).

Top w/ any combo of choice, i.e.

Pico de gallo

Guacamole or diced avocado

Cooked cumbled bacon

Shredded cheese, i.e. Monterey Jack and/or Colby (optional)

Thisi is horribly wonderful! Thanks :pig:

First hot dogs of my life, I usually eat frankfurters just grilled and with some side.
So I got the bread and mixed just a few things, nothing particularly fancy or tasty. I need to explore this new world!

On one side of the sliced open "buns", as they are called, I spread some mayonnaise and put some sliced red Tropea onions, on the other side tomato paste and tabasco, and here went the grilled frankfurters. The outcome was decent, but nothing more. I'll have to make some exercise on this subject!

luca, i wish i could fly you to nyc, the world capitol of hot dogs, for a real treat. (chicago is a close secind)

we have every way of preparing the dog itself: boil, broiled, grilled, griddled, pan fried, deep fried, baked, and even cooked on a stick over a campfire.

much like pizza, there are standard toppings, and then crazy toppings. all over america you'll find new or different things to add to the humble dog to make it special to that region, shop, or even house. again, it's just like italy in it's a common ly cooked food, but everyone has their favourite way, their standard way, and the way they get their freak on.

actually, in context, chief longwind wants to see our freaky side. umm, with just hot dogs.

he's a hot dog voyeur, apparently. lol. ;)

lol, that's ok though. otherwise, he's squeaky clean o

Last edited:
Tom, I would love to come over and try all the different varieties of hot dogs, that would be amazing!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom