Dehydrated garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I finally sorted out the good from the bad garlic from last year (since this year's crop is curing in the garage).

I ended up with 8-10 cups of cloves.

I wanted to dehydrate garlic and everyone recommends doing that outside because of the concentrated garlic smell (same with onions).

My micro/convection oven that I dehydrate in doesn't seem to do well in the sun. I put it outside last year and it was months before the LCD/LED whatever lights and the panel it is on worked well again. So this year, Trapper built a cabinet for it to keep it out of the sun when it's outside, with a partially open back for ventilation, and the bottom can be used for storage. The top is tiled and can be used to set the food on or any food preparations as needed.

I just popped the 8-10 cups of processed (slightly ground up in the food processor) garlic onto a plastic covered mesh sheet that fits the micro/convection oven. I'm guessing it will take a good 8-9 hours.

Then I'll have to grind it to powder in the spice grinder. Estimates I've read say 5 lbs of garlic yield 1 lb powdered garlic. I'll guess I will get less than that, I doubt it was 5 lbs of garlic. It will be nice to have some garlic powder in the house and maybe some garlic salt for gifts.

I finally sorted out the good from the bad garlic from last year (since this year's crop is curing in the garage).

I ended up with 8-10 cups of cloves.

I wanted to dehydrate garlic and everyone recommends doing that outside because of the concentrated garlic smell (same with onions).

My micro/convection oven that I dehydrate in doesn't seem to do well in the sun. I put it outside last year and it was months before the LCD/LED whatever lights and the panel it is on worked well again. So this year, Trapper built a cabinet for it to keep it out of the sun when it's outside, with a partially open back for ventilation, and the bottom can be used for storage. The top is tiled and can be used to set the food on or any food preparations as needed.

I just popped the 8-10 cups of processed (slightly ground up in the food processor) garlic onto a plastic covered mesh sheet that fits the micro/convection oven. I'm guessing it will take a good 8-9 hours.

Then I'll have to grind it to powder in the spice grinder. Estimates I've read say 5 lbs of garlic yield 1 lb powdered garlic. I'll guess I will get less than that, I doubt it was 5 lbs of garlic. It will be nice to have some garlic powder in the house and maybe some garlic salt for gifts.

Hiya Bliss,

The concentrated smells that come from onions and garlic are brief. I'm one of those that likes the fresh smell of garlic. Opening a window helps if it gets that bad. It never has been over powering to the point it's ran me out of the room. If you can take one day, it's easy street from there on.

Depending on what type of garlic your drying, Elephant garlic will perish more quickly then the ordinary garlic. If my memory is correct the water content before drying is in the 60% range.

You can always dry the cloves in your micro/convection oven. Take the cloves, unwrap the paper then cut the cloves in half. Set them on the mesh trays. Not sure how low the temp on yours will go. I'd start it out at the lowest temp possible. That will keep them from over browning, burning. I've done it that way. Stopped when the sliced cloves were crisp.
Stored them when cool in flavor sealed bags.

If your going to spoil your friends, You so nice like that! :D
Here's a link for some containers. Spice Jars | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Munky.

Hiya Bliss,

The concentrated smells that come from onions and garlic are brief. I'm one of those that likes the fresh smell of garlic. Opening a window helps if it gets that bad. It never has been over powering to the point it's ran me out of the room. If you can take one day, it's easy street from there on.

Depending on what type of garlic your drying, Elephant garlic will perish more quickly then the ordinary garlic. If my memory is correct the water content before drying is in the 60% range.

You can always dry the cloves in your micro/convection oven. Take the cloves, unwrap the paper then cut the cloves in half. Set them on the mesh trays. Not sure how low the temp on yours will go. I'd start it out at the lowest temp possible. That will keep them from over browning, burning. I've done it that way. Stopped when the sliced cloves were crisp.
Stored them when cool in flavor sealed bags.

If your going to spoil your friends, You so nice like that! :D
Here's a link for some containers. Spice Jars | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Munky.

Munky,
I JUST finished putting the ground garlic in 2 jars. (8-10 cups of cloves = ~1 and 1/2 cups.) It took about 30 minutes in the food processor to get a good powder. If I get motivated, I'll take pictures of it, it's a nice light beige color, not perfectly white. Thank you for the suggestions.

My micro/convect automatically dehydrates at 140 degrees F.
This was soft neck variety garlic.

I hear elephant garlic is not a true garlic, more like an onion that is slightly garlicy. It's considered a weed, that is something I didn't know.

Is it better than store bought? I don't know, is store bought from China, are their heavy metals in it, are there added ingredients, has there been a recall on it and how much will it cost?

I grow the garlic, so now, there is no investment for seed, the gardens take care of themselves after planting until harvest for the most part. I already invested in a dehydrator, food processor, so no additional costs there.

Best of all, I know what is in the garlic powder.

Your thoughts?

From what I can tell in Los Angeles stores all our garlic comes from China anyway, unless we grow our own.

I plant my aged garlic that is starting to get green in the middle. A clove today, a head in several months, costing only water.

They do grow garlic in Gilroy CA but much of our garlic even in CA still comes from China. Go figure...

Or answer me this? Garlic, 5 heads for $1 at my Asian market (every day price), or 2 or 3 for a dollar at Albertson's Market or Ralphs Market. Which would you pick?

Before you answer, the garlic at the Asian market looks better, is fresher, and the heads are bigger. And the Albertson's or Ralphs garlic might come from China anyway.

Heck if I lived near Gilroy I'd just drive over and buy it there.

Last edited:
They do grow garlic in Gilroy CA but much of our garlic even in CA still comes from China. Go figure...

Or answer me this? Garlic, 5 heads for $1 at my Asian market (every day price), or 2 or 3 for a dollar at Albertson's Market or Ralphs Market. Which would you pick?

Before you answer, the garlic at the Asian market looks better, is fresher, and the heads are bigger. And the Albertson's or Ralphs garlic might come from China anyway.

I grow at least 7 varieties, some are larger, some are more hot/spicy, some have a garlicy after taste, some are more mellow. My hardneck varieties are bigger, the softneck smaller, but the softneck lasts a year while the hardneck may only last 7 months. (all the dehydrated garlic was softneck)
I'd buy 5 heads for $1--but get this--here most garlic growers can sell it for $14/lb and will sell out this next month from this year's harvest.

Chinese garlic will have the root end shaved very close because we do not want to import the dirt to our country (due to diseases), while locally grown garlic kept in the country does not have to shave the root end so close.

I don't know how you'd find a CSA or farmer's market in LA CA. We have a roadside stand less than a mile from the house and I used to pass 4 or 5 of them on my way to work each day. That's where I would look.

Munky,
I JUST finished putting the ground garlic in 2 jars. (8-10 cups of cloves = ~1 and 1/2 cups.) It took about 30 minutes in the food processor to get a good powder. If I get motivated, I'll take pictures of it, it's a nice light beige color, not perfectly white. Thank you for the suggestions.

My micro/convect automatically dehydrates at 140 degrees F.
This was soft neck variety garlic.

I hear elephant garlic is not a true garlic, more like an onion that is slightly garlicy. It's considered a weed, that is something I didn't know.

I didn't know that either Bliss. The things you find out around here. :)
Sounds like your going to be well set for garlic powder for a while. Nice one!
When my garlic is dehydrated it to is a light beige. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

The last time and only time I've bought special garlic salt was at Costco. It was bought on a whim. Liked the idea of the chopped roasted garlic & sea salt in a grinder. It was more salt then garlic. Eh' live and learn? Sure nuff! :LOL: I don't think the grinder is refillable. The salt caked in the grinder.

Munky.

Munky, I'm a little worried about needing an anti-caking agent in that powder. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it stays nice or starts to clump.

We grew a SMALL section of elephant garlic because it is so mild and someone around here doesn't like the strong taste of regular garlic as much as I do.
We found that, when harvesting, around the bulbs IN THE GROUND, there were these little round balls, smaller than a dime, connected loosely with the bulb, with a root coming off each little ball--I wrote to my garlic expert and he said they were called corms. Each corm can be grown, though it might take 2 years to make a divided globe (into cloves). The problem is for each corm that came out when we harvested the elephant garlic, a few probably stayed in the ground so even if we aren't planning on elephant garlic, we will have some growing anyways. That is why it's considered a weed. I think it's still fun and it was a small section.

The garlic and sea salt grinder--is really a good idea, thank you for sharing that.

I grow at least 7 varieties, some are larger, some are more hot/spicy, some have a garlicy after taste, some are more mellow. My hardneck varieties are bigger, the softneck smaller, but the softneck lasts a year while the hardneck may only last 7 months. (all the dehydrated garlic was softneck)
I'd buy 5 heads for $1--but get this--here most garlic growers can sell it for $14/lb and will sell out this next month from this year's harvest.

Chinese garlic will have the root end shaved very close because we do not want to import the dirt to our country (due to diseases), while locally grown garlic kept in the country does not have to shave the root end so close.

I don't know how you'd find a CSA or farmer's market in LA CA. We have a roadside stand less than a mile from the house and I used to pass 4 or 5 of them on my way to work each day. That's where I would look.
I can't tell the difference between the garlic sold in supermarkets and the 5/$1 Chinese in my Asian markets. You seem to be an expert, I'm not. Seems like the same garlic to me, same roots, everything. Probably an indication my supermarket garlic comes from China too.

Gilroy is a place you couldn't miss even if you tried to. You can smell the garlic long after it's already been picked. You can smell it before you even see Gilroy.
The brand I usually buy is easily found. Grown by the Christopher Ranch. Red netted bag of 5 cloves marked "Moniviso"
Christopher Ranch Heirloom Garlic, Gilroy California

You can buy fresh garlic from here. Garlic World, Gilroy, CA
California gown, save yourself a drive.

Munky.

I know where Gilroy is. I live in Los Angeles. It's not close enough to drive there to buy my garlic. You can't even see it from here! :)

(Nor pay cost of shipping.)

i picked some wild garlic from my garden (it was planted years ago by my mil and comes up in patches by itself every year, so i consider it wild).

the bunch, including stems, was forgotten about in the back of the bottom of my fridge until recently, and i found it had dehydrated. i thought it was a lost cause, but after reading this i'll just grind it into powder.

thanks, bliss.

I can't tell the difference between the garlic sold in supermarkets and the 5/$1 Chinese in my Asian markets. You seem to be an expert, I'm not. Seems like the same garlic to me, same roots, everything. Probably an indication my supermarket garlic comes from China too.

Then just buy both kinds. Mince each kind and compare the tastes and then mince and give it a light saute and compare the tastes, decide what you like best.
You can tell a softneck from a hardneck by taking all the wrappers off, taking the cloves apart. The softneck will only have the root left, the hardneck will have a pole between the root and the top--hence hardneck. Hardnecks usually have one layer of cloves, while softnecks usually have a layer of cloves on the outside and then another layer on the inside--and smaller cloves.

Buckytom--as long as the cloves when peeled are firm, not soft, not spongy, not brown, you probably can do that, I hope it works out well for you!

Munky, I'm a little worried about needing an anti-caking agent in that powder. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it stays nice or starts to clump.

We grew a SMALL section of elephant garlic because it is so mild and someone around here doesn't like the strong taste of regular garlic as much as I do.
We found that, when harvesting, around the bulbs IN THE GROUND, there were these little round balls, smaller than a dime, connected loosely with the bulb, with a root coming off each little ball--I wrote to my garlic expert and he said they were called corms. Each corm can be grown, though it might take 2 years to make a divided globe (into cloves). The problem is for each corm that came out when we harvested the elephant garlic, a few probably stayed in the ground so even if we aren't planning on elephant garlic, we will have some growing anyways. That is why it's considered a weed. I think it's still fun and it was a small section.

The garlic and sea salt grinder--is really a good idea, thank you for sharing that.

Bliss,
Those silica packs work great for keeping the moisture out. I don't think you'd have to buy some kind of anti caking powder if you don't absolutely have to.
Now you have me curious as to how long home grown garlic takes before it cakes, or if it even will. Last time I grew and made my own powder it was gone before I knew it. It was good. A little did go a long way.

Munky.

Bliss,
Those silica packs work great for keeping the moisture out. I don't think you'd have to buy some kind of anti caking powder if you don't absolutely have to.
Now you have me curious as to how long home grown garlic takes before it cakes, or if it even will. Last time I grew and made my own powder it was gone before I knew it. It was good. A little did go a long way.

Munky.

Well, if I add salt to make garlic salt, salt has an anti-caking agent in it already, and give it as gifts, I won't have to worry about these silly things!

We have very humid weather (it's not a dry heat), everything seems to cake--the sugar I took out yesterday, some steak seasoning I was using....so I'm guessing it's more dependent on humidity in the air than anything else.

Then just buy both kinds. Mince each kind and compare the tastes and then mince and give it a light saute and compare the tastes, decide what you like best.
I must have not been sufficiently clear in my earlier comments. The supermarket garlic 2/$1 or 3/$1 and the Asian market garlic 5/$1 are the same kind. I've been using both for ages, mostly from the Asian markets lately. The only difference is the price. They look and taste the same. The Asian market garlic comes from China and the supermarket garlic may or may not come from China (probably comes from China). The Asian market comes in a mesh bag of 5 for $0.99 and the tag says they're from China. The supermarket kind gets sold loose and I never noticed any notation in the produce department where they came from.

But I'm pretty sure my garlic doesn't come from Gilroy. They probably ship that to China and sell it $1 each because it's an exotic import. :)

I must have not been sufficiently clear in my earlier comments. The supermarket garlic 2/$1 or 3/$1 and the Asian market garlic 5/$1 are the same kind. I've been using both for ages, mostly from the Asian markets lately. The only difference is the price. They look and taste the same. The Asian market garlic comes from China and the supermarket garlic may or may not come from China (probably comes from China). The Asian market comes in a mesh bag of 5 for $0.99 and the tag says they're from China. The supermarket kind gets sold loose and I never noticed any notation in the produce department where they came from.

But I'm pretty sure my garlic doesn't come from Gilroy. They probably ship that to China and sell it $1 each because it's an exotic import. :)

:LOL::LOL:The exotic import, well, that was funny, but so true.

Once you get yourself settled, in your new place, well you know someone with good garlic and if you find a place with a little land to plant, I have the garlic to plant. Don't forget that.

Back
Top Bottom