Life's too short for chopping & mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
okey dokey this is guilty pleasures "all grown up" 3D the sequel.no no no vicar,nothing for you to worry about!!.you know what? sometimes life is too short for peeling,chopping,mixing & marinading.sometimes i just don't have the time.sometimes there is stuff out there that i think "y'know what 'arry the ingredients are exactly what i would make that with & it probably tastes just as good as mine so why make it yourself(or should that be myself?)"
here' some of mine.i've shown you mine now you show me yours;)!!
ps you probably gathered there's a kind of garlic,chilli & ginger think going on there!!

Attachments

• LIFES TOO SHORT 001.JPG
    LIFES TOO SHORT 001.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 222
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 002.JPG
    LIFES TOO SHORT 002.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 213
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 003.JPG
    LIFES TOO SHORT 003.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 224
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 004.jpg
    LIFES TOO SHORT 004.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 302
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 005.JPG
    LIFES TOO SHORT 005.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 217
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 006.jpg
    LIFES TOO SHORT 006.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 278
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 007.JPG
    LIFES TOO SHORT 007.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 230
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 008.jpg
    LIFES TOO SHORT 008.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 283
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 009.JPG
    LIFES TOO SHORT 009.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 211
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 010.JPG
    LIFES TOO SHORT 010.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 223
  • LIFES TOO SHORT 011.JPG
    LIFES TOO SHORT 011.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited by a moderator:
ok, i'll stay on topic.

i find chopping garlic and ginger pretty easy, so i don't buy jars of it. sauces, though, are another story.

if you want to make a really good stir fry, ask the restaurant the next time you get take out chinese to make a dish steamed with the suace on the side.

they usually end up giving you way too much sauce, the remainder of which you can use in your own home stir fry. it's amazing how good of a cook you'll be after that, lol. much better than using a store bought jarred sauce.

ok, i'll stay on topic.

i find chopping garlic and ginger pretty easy, so i don't buy jars of it. sauces, though, are another story.

if you want to make a really good stir fry, ask the restaurant the next time you get take out chinese to make a dish steamed with the suace on the side.

they usually end up giving you way too much sauce, the remainder of which you can use in your own home stir fry. it's amazing how good of a cook you'll be after that, lol. much better than using a store bought jarred sauce.
the cheek of the man,,,anyway i'm bored now....yawn....you're much better off topic

Sigh. But I like chopping and mixing. It's that other stuff I do most days in lieu of hunting and gathering that life's too short for.
hunter_gatherer_caveman_5343752.jpg

At least my wife occasionally gets to hunt, if not gather. Thursday, she dealt with a 4-foot rattlesnake on the porch. The Internet service tech came by, and he wanted it for his dinner, and she gave it to him. So I guess it qualifies as hunting for food.
Fat-Broad-BC-Snake-55746744901.jpeg

Roasted garlic sauce!!!!!!! Me want to gather some of that!

I really like your idea of getting sauce on the side. I hate soggy sweet & sour pork. It will make a better dipping sauce.

I LOVE making sauces! It is the one part of cooking that I love to take time for. Though I will admit I do buy a specific brand of Thai sweet chili sauce. At school in our final practical exam I was told in front of all the other students that I had the best sauce for my halibut (a citrus veloute). The other reason for making from scratch is DH's intolerances...I know what it is in the sauces!

Chopping garlic and ginger are not my favourites (arthritic hands) but I have found the right tools for the job because I am less fond of the jarred varieties.

But these products are great for those who don't have the time or patience to do things and still want to be creative in the kitchen.

Some "cheats" I do use are pre-peeled garlic cloves, bagged salad greens and veggies, mango and pineapple spears, and peeled corn on the cob (we have a great brand at Costco we can get year round!).

Sigh. But I like chopping and mixing. It's that other stuff I do most days in lieu of hunting and gathering that life's too short for.

At least my wife occasionally gets to hunt, if not gather. Thursday, she dealt with a 4-foot rattlesnake on the porch. The Internet service tech came by, and he wanted it for his dinner, and she gave it to him. So I guess it qualifies as hunting for food.
people call me a 5' 10" rattlesnake on the porch....we estate agents get a really hard press over here glc.....we're more to be pitied than despised:(!!
but that's my point...the property market is very seasonal over here & during "the season" i'll get in to the office @ 8:00 am & not get home til 7:00pm sometimes 6 days/week.too late to start chopping.other times,like you,i enjoy it....almost therapeutic

I don't see single ingredient prepared foods to be cheating, just smart for the busy cook. I use the jarred garlic, ginger...mostly because I can't use it up fast enough to buy fresh.

I am basically cooking for one anymore, Shrek doesn't want anything that I cook fresh, even if I can puree it so he can eat it.

I too like the minced garlic and ginger. The Knorr packaged hollandaise and bernaise sauces that PF had rec'ed are so good as well.

Roasted garlic sauce!!!!!!! Me want to gather some of that!

I really like your idea of getting sauce on the side. I hate soggy sweet & sour pork. It will make a better dipping sauce.
hi Z it is actually really good.need garlic bread?....just wack it on a flatbread & bang it in the oven.moules mariniere? mussels,garlic sauce,white wine...done.aioli? few drops in a dollop of mayo...sorted.don't get me wrong Z,i do all the chopping & peeling etc but,as i said in my reply to glc,sometimes i just don't get the time.............

Must keep me mince pies peeled for that hollandaise. Its one thing I really can't be fagged making.
tesco darlin',about £1.25 a pop.stick some of the roasted garlic sauce in it & it's orgasmagizmo.....costal anterio....scorchio!! fagged eh? don't think i missed that one your magnificence:winkiss:

I LOVE making sauces! It is the one part of cooking that I love to take time for. Though I will admit I do buy a specific brand of Thai sweet chili sauce. At school in our final practical exam I was told in front of all the other students that I had the best sauce for my halibut (a citrus veloute). The other reason for making from scratch is DH's intolerances...I know what it is in the sauces!

Chopping garlic and ginger are not my favourites (arthritic hands) but I have found the right tools for the job because I am less fond of the jarred varieties.

But these products are great for those who don't have the time or patience to do things and still want to be creative in the kitchen.

Some "cheats" I do use are pre-peeled garlic cloves, bagged salad greens and veggies, mango and pineapple spears, and peeled corn on the cob (we have a great brand at Costco we can get year round!).

I don't see single ingredient prepared foods to be cheating, just smart for the busy cook. I use the jarred garlic, ginger...mostly because I can't use it up fast enough to buy fresh.

I am basically cooking for one anymore, Shrek doesn't want anything that I cook fresh, even if I can puree it so he can eat it.

I too like the minced garlic and ginger. The Knorr packaged hollandaise and bernaise sauces that PF had rec'ed are so good as well.
good evening ladies,it's 5:45pm here & i'm about to do some cooking....i shall expect some photo's of your fav's upon my return;)

Harry, Buonasera,

How are the preservatives and chemicals in these bottled products ? Is there Soy in these jars ?

I do not use any product with Soy ( allergies ) and read all labels thoroughly.

What is the sodium and sugar in these products ?

Have a stunning wkend,
Ciao.
Margi.

Sun Dried Tomatoes & Sweet Basque Piquillo Peppers

:yum: The two jar products I make an exception to purchase are Italian Sun Dried Tomatoes in Evoo when in Spain, and Basque Sweet Piquillo Peppers when in Madrid ...

Jar Italian Tomato Sauce: Barilla Basil Tomato instead of using Tomato Paste ... It is natural ...

Have lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margaux.

some things...

Attachments

• 254x274_crushed.jpg
    254x274_crushed.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 148
  • ChoppedandMincedinWater.jpg
    ChoppedandMincedinWater.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 132
  • garn]banzos.png
    garn]banzos.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 188
  • marinara.png
    marinara.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 153
  • package_hollandaise.jpg
    package_hollandaise.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 127
  • products.anchovy.jpg
    products.anchovy.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 190
  • specialtyjars.jpg
    specialtyjars.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 214
Harry, Buonasera,

How are the preservatives and chemicals in these bottled products ? Is there Soy in these jars ?

I do not use any product with Soy ( allergies ) and read all labels thoroughly.

What is the sodium and sugar in these products ?

Have a stunning wkend,
Ciao.
Margi.
'evening margi
i don't buy anything with with artificial ingredients,preservatives or colours in them....apart from some of the guilty pleasures stuff but those are occasional/rare treats,so what the heck;)!.nowadays,particularly in home produced products,it is very rare to find any artificial ingredients anyway.i am fortunate in that i don't have any allergies,health problems affected by diet or excess weight & as the point of these products/this post is that they are not used daily,merely when i don't have time for prep,the occasional extra bit of salt or sugar doesn't worry me.i too check ingredients in detail,one never knows,does one!
ciao
harry

some things...
i see a bit of a ginger,garlic,chilli,hollandaise thing going on there too princess,good stuff your royal highness:cool:!!
right,it's 6:20pm & haven't started cooking yet....got side tracked by your's & margi's posts....but it would be ungallant of me to keep a lady waiting:)!
au revoir!

Back
Top Bottom