Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Thinking about making some pasta pie... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/thinking-about-making-some-pasta-pie-80789.html)

Luca Lazzari 07-27-2012 03:06 AM

Thinking about making some pasta pie...

I'm not exactly a master in pie-making, but I can get some eatable dish out of potatoes, eggs, parmigiano, spices + other vegetables.
This morning, eating a slice of a pie I made yesterday, I was thinking about putting some pasta in.
I think I'll try adding some pre-cooked short pasta like farfalle or fusilli (not the hollow, tubular ones), to the mix and see what happens.

Any idea or advice?

Cerise 07-27-2012 03:32 AM

This one doesn't have potatoes, but maybe it will give you some ideas:

Spaghetti Carbonara Pie
Spaghetti Carbonara Pie - Good Housekeeping

Addie 07-27-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerise (Post 1166586)
This one doesn't have potatoes, but maybe it will give you some ideas:

Spaghetti Carbonara Pie
Spaghetti Carbonara Pie - Good Housekeeping

So many folks in this part of the country make something akin to that pie. Baking leftover pasta for dinner is a given here.

Of course there is also the every popular Frittata. You can put anything in that. I once made one for a bunch of company that had everything including the kitchen sink. Potatoes, red, green, yellow peppers, onions, mushrooms, diced ham, bacon, tomatoes, diced wax beans, broccoli, along with any other veggies I found in the produce department, and eggs. I had my 12" pan filled to the top. Started it on top of the stove and then placed it in the oven. Slid it out onto a pizza tray. Cut into wedges. :yum:

Souvlaki 07-27-2012 06:22 AM

what about pastitsio ?

or chicken and spaghetti pie?

whatever you decide to bake remember to add two beaten egg whites in the pasta before you start assembling the pie so they will stay together when baked and served.

justplainbill 07-27-2012 06:22 AM

For us pasta pie contains enough starch / carbohydrates without adding potatoes.

Luca Lazzari 07-27-2012 09:55 AM

Thanks everybody!

I think I'll go for a fusilli carbonara pie, no potatoes, enclosed in a crispy puff pastry wrapping... Maybe I'll add some nutmeg to the mix.

Thanks again :smile:

Luca Lazzari 07-27-2012 09:59 AM

Thanks Souvlaki, pastitsio looks like what we call timballo in Italy.
I like timballo, but here I would like to make a pie in which pasta is not the dominant ingredient, just floating firmly in the mix.
Maybe my brain is just collapsing due to hot weather and I'm chasing a non-existent bee :lol:

Dawgluver 07-27-2012 10:15 AM

A friend makes a pizza with spaghetti as the crust. I think she bakes the cooked pasta on the bottom of the pan, then adds toppings and bakes some more.

Luca Lazzari 07-27-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1166709)
A friend makes a pizza with spaghetti as the crust. I think she bakes the cooked pasta on the bottom of the pan, then adds toppings and bakes some more.

Sounds good! We could call this a "pastizza"... :lol:

Margi Cintrano 07-27-2012 11:18 AM

Some Suggestions From Margaux

Buonasera Luca,

Firstly, in the Ethnic Section, I posted two Savoury Pies, one of which is Provenšal with onions & anchovies. Small Short Pasta could certainly be an added ingredient and the pastry is just wonderful and crisp.

The second is a savoury onion pie, however from Alsace and I believe from my Mom Eva or her Mom Margot.

Number 3, could be a lovely Calzone, filled with pasta and 4 cheeses !

A vegetable lasagne could be an interesting way to utilise Lasagne Sheets, with all types of seasonal veggies; broccoli, cavolo, cauliflower, carrot, onion, potato, garlic & green beans etcetra ...

Have lovely wkend,
Ciao, Margi.