Is Anyone following the Summer Olympics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Since we are off this week, I probably won't see much. But can follow with my phone. I prefer the winter Olympics but there are certain summer sports I love - soccer, rowing, swimming and diving, gymnastics and horse jumping.

Four years ago with the Beijing Olympics I was in the hospital for the first half with my knee replacement surgery. It was on live in the middle of the night and since I couldn't sleep and had a TV in my room I watched it. Then when I got home I had a "recovery room" with my recliner and a TV so continued to watch it live.

If you are watching or following, what are your favourite sports?

I always enjoy the Olympics..Winter or Summer. I reckon my favorite event is watchin' the gymnastics. It is amazin' how them young'uns do what they do!

I do like to watch it. The coverage in the US is strongly biased towards popular events where Americans have a good chance to win. I like to watch different events like weight lifting, wrestling and some track and field events that don't get the best coverage.

We'll probably be watching the opening ceremonies tonight.

I forgot to mention rowing.....something about it, tremendously relaxing to watch.

I think my least favorite events to watch are fencing and shooting. ..... as boring as curling, during the winter games.

I forgot to mention rowing.....something about it, tremendously relaxing to watch.

I think my least favorite events to watch are fencing and shooting. ..... as boring as curling, during the winter games.
Oh--no, curling is EXCITING (if you are a curler--the best of the best). Besides myself, wondering how many DCers curl?

I would certainly like to know more on the ins and outs of the overall strategy.
It don't get cold enough in these parts for that kind of activity to be popular.

I would certainly like to know more on the ins and outs of the overall strategy.
It don't get cold enough in these parts for that kind of activity to be popular.
The strategy depends on if you have the hammer or not. If you have the hammer, you play a different end than if not. The team that gets the hammer (last rock), is the team that lost the previous end. Sometimes, the skip will throw the 2nd to the last end just to gain the hammer.

We plan to watch the opening. I'm not a sports person, but do enjoy watching swimming, (both synchronized and lap), diving, gymnastics. And just found out today from an article in the local rag, they have women's wrestling. Had no idea.

And CWS and Hoot, I was on a couple curling teams in HS, and while it was a lot of fun, I can't remember the rules....

Last edited:
Having worked with 4-H kids and their animals, I love to watch any and all equestrian events. And we have a local girl on the gymnastics team this year. :)

Whoa! Quirky and so British! Loved the opening!

Loved the Queen and Daniel Craig too!

Watched the opening. Got a bit teary watching Queen Elizabeth, she looks so good!

I enjoy equestrian, track and field and gymnastics.

there's women'wrestling?

jello, mud, or the "ladies" of g.l.o.w?

lol, j/k. they probably look like rulon gardner.

we'll be watching. our faves are swimming (racing only. synchronized reminds me of monty python) diving, some track and field, boxing, and gymnastics.

buckytom said:
there's women'wrestling?

jello, mud, or the "ladies" of g.l.o.w?

lol, j/k. they probably look like rulon gardner.

we'll be watching. our faves are swimming (racing only. synchronized reminds me of monty python) diving, some track and field, boxing, and gymnastics.

Heh. Think it's Greco-Roman. One of our midwest woman wrestlers was caught with a bit of the ganja in her system, so another from around these parts will be replacing her.

What the heck is Rulon Gardner?

Last edited:
Just burst into tears seeing Mohammed Ali, the progression of his Parkinson's disease is just terrible.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Just burst into tears seeing Mohammed Ali, the progression of his Parkinson's disease is just terrible.

Sad. I missed it. I remember when he lit the torch at a previous Olympics.

He really was so handsome back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom