Homemade Pork Country Terrine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: HOME COUNTRY PORK TERRINE :yum:

Has anybody created their own homemade terrine ? Would enjoy hearing from you and your commentary.

Here is our family recipe ...

20 grams French style creamy butter
2 cloves minced finely garlic
2 shallots minced finely
3 swigs of Thyme Herb or dried thyme
1 bay leaf
200 grams of manteca de cerdo ( pork fat can be purchased from Butcher)
150 grams calves liver sliced in strips
400 grams pork lion sliced in strips
40 ml. brandy
50 ml. dry white wine of choice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
50 grams of day old Italian or French baguette grated with parsley, a pinch of oregano and basil
1 tblsp. milk ( to be combined with the bread crumbs )
1 egg lightly beaten
20 slices of bacon of choice to wrap around the terrine loaf

1. sauté butter in large skillet very slowly on low flame
2. sauté the shallots, bay leaf, thyme, garlic, pork fat, the liver strips and the pork lion strips for 3 to 5 minutes
3. incorporate the brandy, the wine, the salt, the nutmeg and stir lightly
4. slowly simmer until warm ( not boiling hot )
5. put in a large casserole rectangular glass vessel and let it cool half an hour, and refrigerate overnite in alum. foil covered.
6. preheat oven to 180 centig degrees
7. combine the bread crumbs and the milk
8. remove the thyme swigs and the bay leaf
9. place the meat in your Food Processor twice and then, place mixture in large bowl
10. whisk an egg lightly with the bread crumbs and add to the meat mixture and combine thoroughly
11. in a large loaf baking mold, greased with olive oil and wrapped with the bacon slices around the pork and liver terrine loaf; cover in foil and bake for 35 minutes
12. place a skewer or toothpick in centre, and it is ready when the skewer or toothpick comes out totally clean
13. let cool 30 mins. and place in refrigerator overnight with a heavy stone on top of the foil wrapped block terrine to firm
14. take out a half hour, before lunch time and let come to room temperature
15. unwrap alumn. foil very carefully
16. serve with: capers, pickles, olives, cherry tomatoes and Dijon Mustard Green Peppercorn and Traditional Dijon and Antique Grain Gold Dijon
17. Also serve with breadsticks, crusty baguette and crackers of choice
18. Cava Rosé or Prosecco Rosé DOC sparkling wines are a perfect pair
or Sherry Dry ...

*** PHOTO TO FOLLOW
Have lovely wkend.
Margaux Cintrano.

Yes I have made a terrine recently using a friends recipe. The meat I used was turkey mince and pork sausages (gluten free.). Here is a pic - its a bit like a Gala Pie but without the pastry. Yours looks good too will give that a try.

Attachments

• Turkey and Pork Terrine.jpg
    Turkey and Pork Terrine.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 354
Gravy Queen: Looks Delicious, and here is my Foto

Gravy Queen,

I shall give yours a try the next time I prepare it ...

Here is photo of mine:

Attachments

• terrine country homemade.jpg
    terrine country homemade.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 486
This is the version I was taught in Paris, the key to a terrine in my opinion and that of my chef/teacher is to press the terrine so some of the fat and juice exits the terrine and solidifies to seal the dish allowing it to mature and harden in the fridge for 24 hrs so you can slice it, otherwise you have a bacon wrapped meatloaf that will crumble.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/bolas-summer-siggy-74338.html

Bolas,

Thank you for your advice. This is why I place a huge black slate stone on top of mine while firming in refrig. You are correct. I had learnt to do this at an intensive Culinary Course I had taken in NYC and Paris.

Have great summer,
Ciao, Margi.

Chopper,

Thanks for ur feedback and believe me, this is delicious ... especially served with pickles, capers, olives, Green peppercorn Dijon ... etcetra ... Enjoyable home entertainment star of the show !

HAVE GREAT SUMMER,
Margi.

Please note: When my daughter Naia, was visiting with my Grand daughter Adyson the 2nd week of July, my butcher did not have calves liver that weekend, and thus, this photo and this recipe were subbed with:

Young Pork Liver

This is why, the color is so pink.

Thank you.
Margaux Cintrano.

Bringing back this ancient thread,
as I just made my own terrine. Here's how I made it. I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow.
Ingredients:
1 pork steak, boned and minced
1 boneless/skinless chicken breast, minced
1/2 lb scallops, minced
1 large egg
1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbs. salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
3 tbs. apple cider vinager
/2 onion, finely minced
2 tbs. coarse stone ground brown mustard
1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce

Preheat oven to 326' F.
Combine all ingredients in a large bow, making sure to blend it all together. Line a loaf pan with aluminum foil. Put the meat mixture into the loaf pan,
Place the loaf pan into the oven and bake to a temperature of 185 degrees F. Place weight on top and refrigerate overnight. Cut into /4 inch slices. Enjoy on sandwiches, or with gravy.

The terrine smells great. I''mm looking forward to lunch tomorrow. When you can't have deli meats, or any kind of sausage, you make your own lunch meat. The terrine fills that niche.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom