Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Eggs, Cheese & Dairy (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Which mammals have you tried the milk of? Camel, pig, goat...? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/which-mammals-have-you-tried-the-milk-of-camel-pig-goat-80864.html)

Mel! 07-31-2012 08:09 AM

Which mammals have you tried the milk of? Camel, pig, goat...?

Quote:

...Worldwide, there are about 6,000 mammal species, each with its own unique milk...
Others’ Milk

Hoot 07-31-2012 08:17 AM

Cow and goat...Never occurred to me to try pig milk. Camels are scarce in these parts.

CWS4322 07-31-2012 09:07 AM

Cow, goat, sheep. I didn't like the goat milk, but I love goat cheese. Found the sheep really hard to milk.

Dawgluver 07-31-2012 10:52 AM

Interesting article, Mel. I've had the usual suspects, nothing exotic. Not real fond of goat cheese.

CharlieD 07-31-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 1168215)
...Never occurred to me to try pig milk. ....

Well, even if you did, chances are you would not be able to get much if any and that at chance to loose your hand or a whole arm. Pigs jaw is incredible crushing machne, much stronger of that than a dog, and much more vishes than a mean pitbull animal, you really don't want to take your chances. Unless you can become really mean and tight that animal and abuse, but than you have to deal with even more vishea animal by the name of PITA.... :wink:

As far as milk, I love raw goat milk, well processed too. I think it is the best milk ever, Kumis or Kumus, however it is spelled is really sour and reminded me of sour milk or even butter milk or something in between. Never had sheep milk or any other ones for that matter, but love cheeses, sheep, goat Buffalo. Yum.

Dawgluver 07-31-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieD

Well, even if you did, chances are you would not be able to get much if any and that at chance to loose your hand or a whole arm. Pigs jaw is incredible crushing machne, much stronger of that than a dog, and much more vishes than a mean pitbull animal, you really don't want to take your chances. Unless you can become really mean and tight that animal and abuse, but than you have to deal with even more vishea animal by the name of PITA.... :wink:

As far as milk, I love raw goat milk, well processed too. I think it is the best milk ever, Kumis or Kumus, however it is spelled is really sour and reminded me of sour milk or even butter milk or something in between. Never had sheep milk or any other ones for that matter, but love cheeses, sheep, goat Buffalo. Yum.

:lol: The guy in the article had to sneak up on a sleeping sow, quickly squeeze a teat, then run away. He was able to get only a small amount of pig milk.

Margi Cintrano 07-31-2012 11:37 AM

Goat & Ewe & Lactose Intolerant to Bovine

Interesting Topic ... Thanks for posting ...

I have had raw fresh goat and ewe´s milk living in the Mediterranean ... I prefer raw fresh goat milk ... and yogurt as well ...

Buonasera, :wink:
Ciao, and have lovely Tuesday.
Margaux. :cool:

CharlieD 07-31-2012 11:39 AM

Off topic. Generally speaking American dairy is in a very-very poor state compare to Europian, for example.

LPBeier 07-31-2012 12:11 PM

I'm with the mainstream - cow, goat and sheep. I don't mind goat's milk but it isn't my favourite, and the sheep's milk I didn't care for at all. But I do like both goat and sheep cheese.

CWS4322 07-31-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPBeier (Post 1168287)
I'm with the mainstream - cow, goat and sheep. I don't mind goat's milk but it isn't my favourite, and the sheep's milk I didn't care for at all. But I do like both goat and sheep cheese.

I found sheep very hard to milk--they seem to "suck it up." Goats are a lot easier to milk, but if there is a billy in the herd, the milk is too strong for my taste, but I do like goat (and sheep) cheese.