Vitamix blenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have a Vitamix blender? Is it worth the extra money. I want a blender that will last and make frozen margaritas etc. plus a general all-purpose blender. I've heard many blenders do not do a good job on the ice. Also there are so many models of Vitamix. The new one is REALLY expensive but it is supposedly much quieter. How loud are these things?
Thanks!

Vitamix is more for juicing and soups.

I was sick of replacing so-so blenders every few years so I bought a Ninja a few weeks ago, on a few friends' recommendationsns. The blade is not just one level on the bottom - it's on a few levels, and it's 1000 watts of power. It was $99 on Amazon.

You can get name-brand blenders for $50 or $80 but it doesn't seem like they have as much power accompanied with a lesser blade so for ice, this is a good investment.

Ours is not that loud, either.

I use my vitamix to make peanut butter, ice cream, smoothies... To me it's worth every penny. QVC sometimes have them on 5 or 6 monthly payments it's way better than paying the full amount at one time. I have the Vitamix GC ( Galaxy Class ) I was doing some searches online and from the looks it to the specs of the machine. To me it's the same as the Vitamix Professional Series 200 only with a different name.

I had an older VitaMix, a 3600, with the chrome base and stainless steel container, and didn't replace it with a newer model for a very long time because I found the price prohibitive. But when I found an as-new VitaMix 5200 with both wet and dry canisters/blades, in the opened box with no sign of use for $58 in a thrift store, I couldn't pass it up. Passed the old VM on to a friend and use the new VM almost daily. As a blender, for smoothies, crushed ice, makes pesto and cream soups. I don't make many margaritas or daiquiris with it, as I'm not much of a drinker, but I'm sure it would be more than adequate. I also have a Green Life and a Champion strictly for juicing, although the Champion makes excellent nut butters, and is great for pulping and straining large amounts of fruit, tomatoes, etc.

I'm ok with my Hamilton Beach blender for Smoothies, etc. I would also like to be able to crush ice but don't want to spend that much on a blender when I already have one. I wonder if buying an ice shaver would be a good idea for me...

Thanks all. From all I've read I think I will go with the Breville Hemipsphere. Still expensive but half the price of Vitamix and according to Cooks Illustrated and Consumer Reports almost as good. Apparently it can do frozen margaritas well while some of the other blenders supposedly can't handle the ice. In Florida we need our frozen margaritas!! If anyone has a Breville and is not happy, please let me know.

I'm ok with my Hamilton Beach blender for Smoothies, etc. I would also like to be able to crush ice but don't want to spend that much on a blender when I already have one. I wonder if buying an ice shaver would be a good idea for me...

I don't know what you have for thrift stores, but electric ice crushers are pretty common fare here. Very inexpensive.

gadzooks said:
I don't know what you have for thrift stores, but electric ice crushers are pretty common fare here. Very inexpensive.

Good idea. I will check the thrift stores. People get tired of their kitchen gadgets and donate them. I should probably get tired of some of my gadgets-no I think not!

Vitamix's are amazing. I finally bought one a few years ago after burning through several cheap ones in just a few months. They come with a full 7 year warranty, although mine's been great so far. I use it for everything and it handles ice, greens, whole fruits, and everything else beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have a VM 5000. Got the super, came with wet and dry canisters. I had always had VM 3600's or 4000's in the past, and refurbished enough of them to have a running account with VM's parts dept. But...as classy as the 3600's and powerful as the 4000's are, I can no longer get parts for them. The last one I rebuilt needed a twelve point drive hub because the old six point was damaged and they not only didn't have any six point parts, they only had the twelve point for the canister. Fortunately I had a twelve point drive hub left from a kit for another refurb I did. Parts no mas.But yes, those 4000's are the bomb.

I currently have a VM 5000. Got the super, came with wet and dry canisters. I had always had VM 3600's or 4000's in the past, and refurbished enough of them to have a running account with VM's parts dept. But...as classy as the 3600's and powerful as the 4000's are, I can no longer get parts for them. The last one I rebuilt needed a twelve point drive hub because the old six point was damaged and they not only didn't have any six point parts, they only had the twelve point for the canister. Fortunately I had a twelve point drive hub left from a kit for another refurb I did. Parts no mas.But yes, those 4000's are the bomb.

I don't consider it a selling point that you have "a running account with VM's parts dept"

Just how many repairs have you had to make at what cost?

I have had zero repairs to my VM 5000. The repairs I have made to 3600's and 4000's were in the nature of total refurbishment. I would buy them used from thrift stores and at yard sales for $10-$30 and rebuild them as new, then resell them. They probably left my hands good for another twenty to thirty years. I included a half dozen lid gaskets, two sets of lid clips and the kit to close off the spigot, plus a wooden tamper, with every 3600 and 4000 I sold. They're fine machines. I kept a running account because I ordered parts weekly for several years. Just made it easier.

I was really on the line, considering a Vitamix. Ultimately I decided to go with the Blendtec (will it blend?:ROFLMAO:). From all my research they're both absolutely fantastic machines, both have 7 year warranties, etc. The thing that swayed me was the fact that the Blendtec Total Blender has a 3 hp motor vs. 2 hp for the Vitamix, plus the fact that the Blendtec is designed to not need a tamper. I'm sure the Vitamix would have been just as good.

great....

Great discussion. I just ordered one just 5 minutes ago :). I've been an oster blender person for awhile but since my 4th one broke down today (jar started leaking) i decided to do a lot of research to find out which one would be right for me.

Osters are great for the price except for "plastic" ring that holds the blade in place on the jar. The gear system on the osters are great being all metal and are powerful but the cheap made rings always crack and start leaking within 1-2 years of use. Replacements are usually even cheaper and break sooner. My last was a oster fusion.

So i did as much research as i could. It looks like KA is highly rated for the price but it isn't well made and breaks down quickly. See: Blenders - Cook's Illustrated also see all the complaints on amazon.

I then did a lot of research on the blendtec & vitamix. After my research i decided to go with the vitamix for three primary reasons:
1. People who have both agree both are great but generally agree the vita-mix is better supposedly the vita-mix blade spins slightly faster.
2. Vita-mix stands behinds its product (look at the warranty).
3. Its made in the good ol.. USA and not china

I do kind of like the controls on the blendtec better but thats not really whats important for a blender.

I really didn't want to spend that much on a blender but this way i don't have to worry about constantly having to buy a replacement (i use my blender constantly). If i couldn't quite afford the vita-mix then i would buy the http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BBL6...d=1350784934&sr=1-1&keywords=breville+blender

You can be a refurbished vita-mix directly from them for almost 1/2 the price. You can also find a free shipping code if you search google. They do reduce the warranty (unless you want to spend $75 extra) to 5 years but 5 years is still a lot of warranty for a blender.

Last edited:
Time to revisit this thread. I was in a thrift store today, same one I bought my Vitamix 5000 Super at about 12 years ago...gee, has it been that long? Yeah...sigh. Anyhoo, they had a brand-spankin' new Vitamix CIA (Culinary Institute of America) signature model, that being a 5000, in brushed stainless steel, in the box. It was pricey at about $300, but I bought it anyway. Got home, registered it online to ensure my 7 year warranty, listed my old 5000, the $58 one, on Craigs List for $200. Sold in minutes, and I have the unused dry container listed as well. I think I'm gonna horse trade my way into a brand new stainless steel Vitamix for the original $58 I spent on the other one.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my very old VitaMix that I bought decades ago used!
I used to use it all the time but because of space constraints in my small apartment I have to store it in a cabinet. (As one ages the words "out of sight, out of mind" has more meaning!)

I won't list all the things I used it for---- too lengthy a list.

Back
Top Bottom