Pot Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
when i made my pot roast i noticed my potatoes are a little mushy and not brown? I add them after i put the meat in before it goes in the oven. Is it possible its bec. to much water in roasting pan ... I used one that is enamel speckled with lid (dont have a dutch oven). Or should i have added it later and not in the beginning? THX. OR maybe thats the way they are suppose to be?Oh,carrots seemed ok.

It sounds like your potatoes are fine. Cooking them in a roaster with a lid in the presence of water, the potatoes are not likely to brown much, if at all.

Maybe try taking that lid off the last 30 minutes if you like the potatoes brown.

When you cook potatoes with pot roast, you don't add them until the last half hour or so if cooking. You can't get browned potatoes in a pot roast.

Roasted potatoes would go in the roasting pan with a roasting chicken, pork or beef roast. The higher temps, sitting in the fat from the roast and the open [an will give you roast potatoes.

Ditto on browning potatoes in a pot roast. Just isn't gonna happen.

If you want them browned, once they are done, fish them out and broil them up on a cookie sheet while you are getting everything else ready. Remember what Andy said, don't put them in too early.

I would use less liquid and make sure that the potatoes touch the side of the pan. I use a big old cast aluminum pan and the potatoes always get brown scorch marks on the side that touches the pan. I start with about a cup of liquid and when the roast is finished the liquid is gone, only the fat from the roast remains. I remove the meat and veg then make gravy from the drippings. In our family we used to fight over the scorched potatoes so mom always made sure the outside edge of the pan was ringed with them. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

What is the difference of a pot roast to one being done in the oven...is it just done in a big pot on the stove?

What is the difference of a pot roast to one being done in the oven...is it just done in a big pot on the stove?

A pot roast is a braised dish. Meat in a closed container with liquid and seasonings. It may be cooked on the stove top or in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom