Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Salads & Salad Dressings (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   How do you bean salad? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/how-do-you-bean-salad-80937.html)

CWS4322 08-04-2012 02:38 AM

How do you bean salad?
 
I have sooooo many beans in the garden, I've been making a bean salad each week. I generally put wax, green, another kind of bean or garbanzo beans, red onion, some red pepper flakes, and then dress with EVOO, white wine vinegar, S&P, and my friend's homemade curry powder. Sometimes I add feta, other times bacon crumbles. sometimes I skip the curry powder and use anchovie paste. How do you make your bean salad?

justplainbill 08-04-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1170174)
I have sooooo many beans in the garden, I've been making a bean salad each week. I generally put wax, green, another kind of bean or garbanzo beans, red onion, some red pepper flakes, and then dress with EVOO, white wine vinegar, S&P, and my friend's homemade curry powder. Sometimes I add feta, other times bacon crumbles. sometimes I skip the curry powder and use anchovie paste. How do you make your bean salad?

Sounds good. Being a minimalist (lazy) I just use green string beans, cubed boiled potato, onion, EVOO, cider vinegar, bean cooking water, and some basil pesto.

CWS4322 08-04-2012 04:48 AM

Pesto--that I have! Never added potatoes but was thinking of adding some sweet corn...

justplainbill 08-04-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1170188)
Pesto--that I have! Never added potatoes but was thinking of adding some sweet corn...

Green beans can be fairly sweet when they're cooked promptly after picking.
Starch from potatoes gives the dressing a little body.
We add the dressing while the beans and potatoes are still quite warm.

Margi Cintrano 08-04-2012 06:01 AM

Mediterranean Bean Lunch Dishes
 
:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning CWS,

Here are some ideas:

1. Fresh Skordalia Bean Dip ( usually made with Fava Beans ); skordalia can be made with potatoes, beetroot and beans of any kind

2. Hummus ( chick pea sesame tahine ) - Ethnic Section - Margi

3. Falafel ( chick pea mini vegetarian burgers - Appetiser Section - Margi

4. Billīs Genovese Pesto with Green beans & Potato can also be served with a thick ribbon length pasta like Fettuccini instead of the potatoes

5. Chick pea Greek Salad; cherry tomatoes, red onion, garlic, vinaigrette of choice, black olives, feta cheese, cucumber and toasted Pita with Tzatziki on side ...

Ciao,
Have lovely wkend,
Margaux Cintrano.

CWS4322 08-04-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano (Post 1170204)
:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning CWS,

Here are some ideas:

1. Fresh Skordalia Bean Dip ( usually made with Fava Beans ); skordalia can be made with potatoes, beetroot and beans of any kind

2. Hummus ( chick pea sesame tahine ) - Ethnic Section - Margi

3. Falafel ( chick pea mini vegetarian burgers - Appetiser Section - Margi

4. Billīs Genovese Pesto with Green beans & Potato can also be served with a thick ribbon length pasta like Fettuccini instead of the potatoes

5. Chick pea Greek Salad; cherry tomatoes, red onion, garlic, vinaigrette of choice, black olives, feta cheese, cucumber and toasted Pita with Tzatziki on side ...

Ciao,
Have lovely wkend,
Margaux Cintrano.

I have dragon tongue wax beans, purple and green bush beans, and purple pole beans. I don't eat pasta very often so # 4 is out with pasta--it actually sounds horrible--yuck. I love chick peas, but they need too long of a growing season to grow here--I've tried--didn't work. And, the tomatoes are just starting to turn red/yellow--so no fresh tomatoes to add to the mix, just beans. I live in SE Ontario--although it is HOT here in the summer, we don't have long enough days re: daylight to grow such things as chick peas, etc. We're lucky to have 95-100 days. I keep hoping to grow cantaloupe...no such luck, yet.

Rocklobster 08-04-2012 11:06 AM

Mix a can of tuna in there with some lemon zest....

Margi Cintrano 08-04-2012 12:33 PM

CWS,

Have a lovely weekend with your veggies and legumes ...

I shall have to look up your bean species, as off top of think tank, I have never heard of the ones you had mentioned.

Have a nice August.
Margaux. Ciao.

CWS4322 08-04-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 1170288)
Mix a can of tuna in there with some lemon zest....

I can't stomach canned tuna. But, for those who can, that might be a nice addition. I did add some lemon zest when I added the chick peas.

CWS4322 08-04-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano (Post 1170320)
CWS,

Have a lovely weekend with your veggies and legumes ...

I shall have to look up your bean species, as off top of think tank, I have never heard of the ones you had mentioned.

Have a nice August.
Margaux. Ciao.

Dragon tongue wax beans are a heirloom wax bush bean--they are yellow with purple "stripes." The bean is a flat bean, doesn't have a "furry" coat (I hate fuzzy beans), and it snaps very nicely. It is also drought and disease tolerant and a heavy producer. When you cook it, sadly, the purple goes away. The purple pole beans are also flat beans and have a smooth texture. Sadly, the purple also goes away when you cook them and they are a deep green. I was given the seeds by a friend, so don't know what they are--I'll have to ask him. The bush beans are Kentucky purple and green bush beans.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.