Anybody have a recipe for pickled daikon radish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
If I need to, I can go back to the Asian grocery store that's about 20 miles away, but I forgot to pick this up today and have a daikon radish in the fridge and can't remember what I bought it for :rolleyes: Now I'm thinking about making pad Thai.

So does anyone have a recipe for pickled daikon radish? I guess I could use a standard refrigerator pickle recipe, maybe with rice vinegar. Just wondering whether anyone has done this before. Thanks.

I have several from my recipe box:

Pickled Daikon (Takuan)

6 medium Daikon radish, peeled
1/4 cup Pickling salt
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Yellow food coloring
1 dried red chili pepper, chopped (optional)
1 cup Water

1. Prepare the Daikon by slicing and placing it in clean canning jars. Boil all the brine ingredients together to dissolve the sugar. Cool the liquid. Pour over the sliced Daikon and place in the refrigerator. Shake the jars occasionally. The pickle will be ready to eat in about two days.

2. Comments: This is another pickle that is common on the Japanese table. In the earlier days our Japanese immigrant ancestors simply grew the vegetables from the old country here in the new. And thus the pickles.

----------
Pickled Daikon

1 large daikon radish - (abt 1 lb), peeled
3 large carrots, peeled
1 large cucumber
4 celery ribs
8 scallions
4 oz fresh ginger root, peeled
1 large green bell pepper, seeded
1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded
1/2 large yellow bell pepper, seeded
1 package enoki mushrooms - (3-1/2 oz)
=== PICKLING LIQUID ===
3 cups granulated sugar
3 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt

1. In a large bowl, cut the daikon, carrots and cucumber into matchstick-sized pieces. Thinly slice the celery, scallions and ginger root. Dice the bell peppers into 1/2-inch pieces. Clean the mushrooms and pull them apart.

2. Half-fill a large soup pot with water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the vegetables to the boiling water. Immediately remove the pot from the heat and let the vegetables stand in the hot water for 2 minutes, uncovered. Drain the vegetables well. Place the vegetables in sterilized jars.

3. Pour hot pickling liquid over the vegetables to cover them. Screw lids tightly on the jars and refrigerate them about a week before serving the vegetables.

4. Pickling liquid: Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the liquid comes to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat and ladle the hot liquid immediately over the vegetables in the prepared jars.

Author: Kathleen Mayes and Sandra Gottfried
Source: Lynn Thomas on the Food Forum BB at http://food.bb.prodigy.net/

Author Notes
Recipe from "Roots: A Vegetarian Bounty," by Kathleen Mayes and Sandra Gottfried (Woodbridge Press), and as published in the Contra Costa Times

--------
Sweet Pickled Daikon Radish

1 cup rice vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 lb Daikon
1/4 cup kosher salt

1. In a small saucepan over medium heat add the vinegar, water, sugar, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and allow it to cool.

2. Meanwhile, peel the daikon radish and slice into 1/4-inch thick rounds. (If your daikon is very large, slice the rounds into semicircles.) Place in a colander with salt and mix well. Place the colander over a bowl and let drain for 1 hour. Rinse the salt off with a couple of changes of water and dry the daikon well. Put into a sterilized glass jar. Pour the cooled brine through a coffee filter (or a cheesecloth lined strainer) into the jar to cover the radish slices. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Will keep for about 2 weeks.

Source: Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Hey, Bucky. Sorry, I just saw this. Thanks for the response.

mcnerd, thanks for the recipes! I'm going to try the first one first :)

Back
Top Bottom