I am Unequipped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coballs

Assistant Cook
So I don't have any knives. I do all my cutting with one steak knife. Is there a set someone could recommend I buy? Could you possibly include a link to them, or at least describe price, and uses of each one.

Rather than purchasing a set which may include pieces you don't need, my suggestion is to simply purchase the specific knives you will use. I own a lot of knives, but find that there are only a few that I use on a regular basis: a chef's knife, santoku, paring knife, boning/utility knife, and bread knife. Everything else just collects dust in the drawer.

As for brands, there are a lot of good ones out there. I like Shun knives myself. While there are others that may be more top-of-the-line, I like the feel, durability, and price of this brand. The blades are wicked sharp and stay sharp for a long time. My knives can go a year without resharpening, as long as I take the time to hone them once a week.

Last edited:
I find that I can get by with a chef's knife and bird beak parer. Find knives that fit your hand and feel good--buying on line might save you money, but the only way you can tell if you will like a knife is to handle it. (Back when I baked bread, I used a bread knife. Damn this low carb stuff.)

I say to begin with you need two knives. A paring knife, 3-4" long and a chefs knife 6-8 " long. A lot of times, esspecially before holidays, I see the sale on two of those pakeged as a set, pretty reasonably priced. That is of course if you want to wait till then. If not BB&B will have them separtly, if you can find 20% off coupon they send out you will still get a good deal.

I would add a cleaver to the two knives--a good chef's knife and a paring knife. I own a lot of knives, but I use my chef-s knife (well, I have two I like) and the paring knife most often, followed by the cleaver, then the boning knife.

You didn't mention your budget.

If your budget is very low, I would go with Amazon.com: Wiltshire StaySharp Knife Starter Set - White Scabbards: Kitchen & Dining

They aren't wonderful knives, but they aren't bad. I have a set of good knives (Henkel) and I also have the Wiltshire ones. It can be very handy to have the extra set. If you don't want to have to sharpen and steel your knives, then the Wiltshire are just the ticket.

You didn't mention your budget.

If your budget is very low, I would go with Amazon.com: Wiltshire StaySharp Knife Starter Set - White Scabbards: Kitchen & Dining

They aren't wonderful knives, but they aren't bad. I have a set of good knives (Henkel) and I also have the Wiltshire ones. It can be very handy to have the extra set. If you don't want to have to sharpen and steel your knives, then the Wiltshire are just the ticket.
+1 I have both--Henkel and Wiltshire and Chicago Cutlery. I like my Henkel knives the best, but the others do the job (my favorite filet knife is Chicago Cutlery).

Put "knives" and the brand you want on your "birthday" or "Christmas" wish list. This is how I got most of my Christmas Tree Spode--I let my family know what pieces I wanted and they could get me whichever pieces they wanted to get me for my b'day or Christmas.

Last edited:
+1 I have both--Henkel and Wiltshire and Chicago Cutlery. I like my Henkel knives the best...
Love my Henckles.

Wow! Who knew? I love my Henckels knife block set. I originally wanted a different Henckels set but BB&B was out of stock so the manager offered me a Henckels knife block set marked at $200 for substantially less (maybe $160?) and then I used a 20% off coupon... Then I bought several additional Henckels knives until the block didn't have any more room, and bought a cleaver too!

I probably spent a about $250 for the whole thing and it was the best kitchen money I ever spent. (I bought the additional knives over a 6 month period.)

My advice is that anybody who has a serious interest in cooking should just buy a full knife block set from any of the top manufacturers. I was amazed at the feeling of always having the exact right knife for any task!

My scissors and cleaver are the perfect thing for attacking any whole chicken whether I want it spatchcocked or pieced out!

So I don't have any knives. I do all my cutting with one steak knife. Is there a set someone could recommend I buy? Could you possibly include a link to them, or at least describe price, and uses of each one.

This is a bit like saying, "I don't have a car, but I want one. What car should I buy?" :ROFLMAO: Do you live in Hawaii or Alaska?;)

The obvious questions are:

-What is your skill level?
-What do you like to cook?
-How do you intend to maintain your knives (ie. sharpen them)?
-What is your budget?

Toss us a a bone, here! We'll be happy to offer advice if you can narrow down what you want.

while I like Shun, and that is a majority of my kit, there are a LOAD of options out there, as you have seen.

one thing to remember too, weather building your roll by the piece, or set, quality doesn't cost, it pays. A good set WILL set you back initially, but, it is an investment, and good knives, honed and well maintained will last generations. break the price up over a decade even, and you will see that they run you just a few dollars a year to own.

don't skimp on knives, you really do get what you pay for, and it's best to purchase once, and not worry abut it, instead of buying sub-par products that dull quickly, and won't last.

Speaking from a non-professional stance only, I certainly would have a "set" of knives if I could afford them, You don't necessarily need to purchase a matched set of knives, particularly when you aren't certain what feels good in your hand. In my case, I have many knives that I inherited. Most of them do not even have a maker's mark and are much older than I am. (I am nearly 60) They are carbon steel with wooden handles, and will rust in a hurry unless tended properly. Many of those do not have the original handles and were replaced by hand by my forebears. They were mainly used in hog-killin'.
The knife I reach for most often is not the most expensive knife I own. It is a Joyce Chen chinese cleaver. It fits my hand well and I can control it better than any other knife I own. It certainly needs attention from time to time but it suits me, and I am pretty fair with the stones. While a high quality knife is all well and good, if it is uncomfortable to use and control it can be a very dangerous object.
Again, I am speaking as strictly a home/camp cook without the need for professional tools....But even then I would recommend you do not purchase an expensive knife without having had it in your hand first.

I agree with Tat, good quality pays. I expect my Henckels set will outlast me.

And Hoot with a cleaver, my feet kind of creep out whenever I use my cleaver. I totally focus on the single task and clean and put away the cleaver ASAP. I shudder to think of what could happen if I dropped it. This is no time for slippery fingers.

I agree with Tat, good quality pays. I expect my Henckels set will outlast me.

And Hoot with a cleaver, my feet kind of creep out whenever I use my cleaver. I totally focus on the single task and clean and put away the cleaver ASAP. I shudder to think of what could happen if I dropped it. This is no time for slippery fingers.
Don't you have the reflex of being able to jump backwards faster than a knife falls from counter height? I would have thought that just about everyone on DC had that reflex. :LOL:

Personally, I have a great cleaver, I love it, and at home I use it almost exclusively. Using the tip for fine cutting, the middle for roll chopping, the heel for bones/tougher cuts, the whole thing as a board scraper or spatula to transfer stuff to the pot. . it's a one stop shop really.

If you can afford it, I love my Gunter Wilhelm Model 201 set, without the steak knives (I already had two sets of steak knives!). I used to have Henckles, but when I got the Wilhelms I gave the Henckles to a close personal friend who I knew would appreciate them because she had no good knives.

BTW, I can atest to the Gunter Wilhelm lifetime guarantee. I have had the knives for around 8 years now and have had two knives replaced with no hassle. About 3 years ago my paring knife developed a discoulored spot on the blade. I simply sent them an email with a photo of it and they sent me a new one. Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed there was a loose rivet in the handle of my 8-inch chef's knife. Again I sent them an email, they replied by asking my shipping address, and about a week later I had a brand spanking new chef's knife sitting on my front porch when I got home from the gym.

Personally, I have a great cleaver, I love it, and at home I use it almost exclusively. Using the tip for fine cutting, the middle for roll chopping, the heel for bones/tougher cuts, the whole thing as a board scraper or spatula to transfer stuff to the pot. . it's a one stop shop really.
I used to have a cleaver that I bought in China Town for $10. It rusted very easily, but was easy to sharpen. I used that for everything. Like TATT, I used it to transfer stuff to the pot or where ever. My ex-DH got it. I need another cleaver, and not a bone cleaver like I bought at a rummage sale. :ermm:

Now, I know the difference.

If you can afford it, I love my Gunter Wilhelm Model 201 set, without the steak knives (I already had two sets of steak knives!). I used to have Henckles, but when I got the Wilhelms I gave the Henckles to a close personal friend who I knew would appreciate them because she had no good knives.

BTW, I can atest to the Gunter Wilhelm lifetime guarantee. I have had the knives for around 8 years now and have had two knives replaced with no hassle. About 3 years ago my paring knife developed a discoulored spot on the blade. I simply sent them an email with a photo of it and they sent me a new one. Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed there was a loose rivet in the handle of my 8-inch chef's knife. Again I sent them an email, they replied by asking my shipping address, and about a week later I had a brand spanking new chef's knife sitting on my front porch when I got home from the gym.
Now that's an impressive guarantee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom