Flat Bread Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildOrchid310

Assistant Cook
I got some flat breads at the store yesterday and now I can't think of anything to do with them!

What are some of your favorite things to do with flat bread?

What kind of flat bread did you buy? There are so many kinds. You can make a mini-pizza, you can use them for delivery devices for hummus and other types of spreads. You can use them for open-faced sandwiches...all kinds of things.

are they crispy or soft?

do they already have any herbs, spices, seasonings, or veggies baked into or onto them?

Mediterranean Flatbreads

:yum: Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Welcome to D.C.

Here are a couple of simple flatbreads from my side of the globe:

Greek: feta cheese with sautéed spinach seasoned with garlic, S&P, Evoo which is extra virgin olive oil and seasonings: orégano, parsley or basil and a pinch of dried basil ... a drizzle of Evoo ...

Napoli Style: buffala di mozzarella, cherry tomato and fresh basil called Caprese.

Ligurian: pinenuts, garlic, Evoo, fresh Basil & Reggiano Parmesano prepared in a Pesto and spread on the dough and baked ...

Black Olive & Smoked Anchovy Tapenade ...

Eastern Mediterranean: Bell Red Pepper, Walnuts, Evoo, Garlic, Modena Balsamic Vinegar.

Sides for Dipping plain baked Flatbreads: hummus, babghanuj and taramosalata or tzatziki ( see my recipes in Ethnic and Vegetables for the babghanuj ) ...

Have great August,
Margi. :yum:

What kind of flat bread did you buy? There are so many kinds. You can make a mini-pizza, you can use them for delivery devices for hummus and other types of spreads. You can use them for open-faced sandwiches...all kinds of things.
got there first cw darn it! like cw said...pizza's.i like mine very thin & crispy so the f/breads work a treat.but you do have to check on the type,you don't want to go making pizza with ones that inflate in the oven like tortilla's do......very messy oven!!
smorgasbord eh cw? good shout

Last edited:
wow! I didn't know there were so many different kinds of flatbread...

I just got the kind I'm used to seeing. :) It's plain, no spices or anything, thicker than a tortilla, and maybe thinner than a piece of bread, but more dense. And round. In case you want a visual: Toufayan Bakeries - pita,mini pita,flatbread, flat bread, bagel, smartbagel, smart bagel, lavash, breadstick, croissant, wrap, 80 calorie

By the way... I put one in the oven last night with some random stuff on it... it didn't inflate! Actually I think it just got crispier...

Okay--so it's not a pita, it is not the sweet flat bread my grandmother made <g> as a dessert flat bread, it probably would work for toppings. Anything you'd like to put on an open-faced sandwich (the sky is the limit), or as the base for a mini pizza. Is it whole wheat or white? (This is reminds me of playing 20 questions!)

I'd make sandwiches with them Slice down the length open it up and put on small amount of baby greens then sprinkle with evoo and white balsamic or red wine vinegar, or you could use mayo and mustard. Layer with Italian meats say several pieces of mortadella, then several of ham they must be thin sliced, salami, and then cheese Gruyere, fresh thin sliced tomato,thin sliced sweet onion. Open wide and enjoy with homemade refrigerator pickles, some chips or fries, Icy cold tea.
kadesms

Last edited:
Okay--when you cut them in half (either along the edge or down the middle), can you separate them to stuff them or not? (At some point, if you have a digital camera, you could call an end to the game--but for now, I can probably still ask more questions!)

I do have a digital camera but I have no idea where. We moved recently! haha :P

Anyways, I don't think they can be stuffed. They look to thin to try to cut along the edge with a knife, and they're circles, so cutting down the middle would just make semicircles. :P

Is there a pocket when you cut one down the middle? I'm still unpacking (moved from the farm to the house in the City in May). I have my digital camera, but I've screwed something up this morning, and I can't find my manual! So I can't use my camera right now, either!

Okay, the filled sandwich idea is a no go. These are to be delivery devices. You can use them as open-faced sandwiches, base for a mini "pizza." How big are these? I'd probably take some fresh sliced tomatoes, top with Jarlsberg cheese, and pop in the oven at 350 until the cheese bubbles...my mom used to make these for me for lunch when I was a child. I loved watching the bubbles as the cheese melted.

Jarlsberg. Hmmm. I've never tried it before! This sounds amazing though. It's kind of hard to go wrong with bread and cheese. :D
You could use swiss, havarti, even moz. if you'd like. Jarlsberg is "sorta" like swiss because it has holes, but it is a sweeter cheese, IMO. You could use any cheese you like, but not those single pieces wrapped in cellophane--yuck! Monterrey Jack with jalapeno peppers would be nice.

I like to make small pizzas with them. I haven't found a flat bread in grocery stores around here that I like. Like cardboard.

Even those, though, I can brush or spray with olive oil, sprinkle seasonings on them (I like Cavendar's Greek for this), cut in wedges, then bake or broil until crispy. Serve with babaganoush, cucumbers in yogurt, or hummus as a dip. This is a favorite of my friends; often requested for parties.

Back
Top Bottom