Jarlsburg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just me--I think Jarlsburg is one of the best "holey" cheeses one can buy.
no it's not just you cw,i love the stuff....better than emmenthal imo.deeelish with some ham in a sandwich:yum:
expensive tho'.i mean you're paying for a load of holes too:ermm::rolleyes:

I know--it is expensive. The DH saw it in the fridge (I picked it up in Montreal when TL and I were at Costco) and I told him that he could NOT open it. He could eat the aged cheddar.

I love Jarlsberg with thinly sliced ham or smoked turkey in a grilled cheese sandwich (made using a good rye or pumpernickel bread) with a smear of lingonberry sauce/jelly to which I've added some grated jalapeno pepper between the cheese and the meat..oh-oh...now I have a craving. Can anyone say "breakfast?" ... Oh crud, there is no bread and there is no thinly sliced ham or turkey. But, I do have to run out later, maybe for lunch!

Last edited:
certainly on my list of faves when it comes to cheese. I feel like it gets overlooked a lot here in the states, as most people tend to gravitate to Alpine Lace/Swiss, as the ubiquitous "holey" cheese.

It is a great melting cheese! Good in breakfast or oven casseroles and quiches. And + it does make the best grilled ham and cheese or turkey and cheese grilled sandwiches. I think we should view the holes as a free bonus.

It is a great melting cheese! Good in breakfast or oven casseroles and quiches. And + it does make the best grilled ham and cheese or turkey and cheese grilled sandwiches. I think we should view the holes as a free bonus.

The holes make it a health food, right, as there is less cheese there? lol

If you like your cheese strong, look for bigger holes. The bigger the eyes, the stronger the cheese.

I have yet more Swiss Chard to "address." I was thinking of making the filling for the tart I've been making on a weekly basis, freezing that in a pie plate. Instead of using blue cheese in it, I think I'll splurge and use some of the Jarlsberg.

My mother used to freeze apple pie filling by putting it in a pie plate, flash freezing it, and then wrapping it in freezer paper. When she wanted to bake the pie, she'd make the crust and plop the frozen apple filling in, let it thaw for a couple of hours, and then bake as if she were using fresh apples...hope it works with the tart filling...

no it's not just you cw,i love the stuff....better than emmenthal imo.deeelish with some ham in a sandwich:yum:
expensive tho'.i mean you're paying for a load of holes too:ermm::rolleyes:

I know--it is expensive. The DH saw it in the fridge (I picked it up in Montreal when TL and I were at Costco) and I told him that he could NOT open it. He could eat the aged cheddar.

I love Jarlsberg with thinly sliced ham or smoked turkey in a grilled cheese sandwich (made using a good rye or pumpernickel bread) with a smear of lingonberry sauce/jelly to which I've added some grated jalapeno pepper between the cheese and the meat..oh-oh...now I have a craving. Can anyone say "breakfast?" ... Oh crud, there is no bread and there is no thinly sliced ham or turkey. But, I do have to run out later, maybe for lunch!

The holes make it a health food, right, as there is less cheese there? lol

If you like your cheese strong, look for bigger holes. The bigger the eyes, the stronger the cheese.
hmmmm,looks like that one bombed 'arry,i was joking about the holes/cost.....you buy it by weight so the holes don't count?like the one about the health/strength aspect of the holes tatt.....you forgot that it also makes it lighter to carry home:ermm::LOL:!!
i'm sure you guy's can buy "toaster bags" over there....the thinking man's alternative to toasted sandwich makers....i lurvvvvve jarlsberg & smoked ham between two slices of sourdough toasted in a toaster bag.the gooey bits of cheese left in the bag are the best:yum:!!

I find Jarlsberg melts better, is somewhat sweeter, and I don't know, there is something else about it, that makes me like it better than the other "holey" cheese (although, I do like a good Swiss cheese). Or, maybe it just appeals to my Scandinavian genetic make up!

I find Jarlsberg melts better, is somewhat sweeter, and I don't know, there is something else about it, that makes me like it better than the other "holey" cheese (although, I do like a good Swiss cheese). Or, maybe it just appeals to my Scandinavian genetic make up!
but cw,the holy grail(only small holes tho')....esrom....all kneel to the sound of it's name:cool:!!

Jarlesburg and Swiss cheese are among my favorites. But they can't be young, flavorless plastic cheese like Alpine Lace Baby Swiss. They have to be full bodied, with that sweet, & complex flavor that just makes your taste buds to a Swiss dance.

Good cheese is a gift to the mouth and nose.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

yup, gonna be a jarlsburg, and black forest ham sammich, bing cherry compote, on butter pressed sourdough, with some whole grain mustard on the side for lunch.

yup, gonna be a jarlsburg, and black forest ham sammich, bing cherry compote, on butter pressed sourdough, with some whole grain mustard on the side for lunch.
I'll take one of those please. Oh and some ice tea.
kades:LOL:

Dawglover--too bad it wasn't on your list on your last trip to Costco. I love it--I didn't realize it wasn't a common cheese for folks.

CWS4322 said:
Dawglover--too bad it wasn't on your list on your last trip to Costco. I love it--I didn't realize it wasn't a common cheese for folks.

What's the brand name, CWS? This sounds like a good sub for Gruyere, which is almost impossible to find around here. :yum:

It just says Jarlsberg-Original, Tine, Norway. The moisture is 45%, fat is 27%. TL, is the sliced stuff you got the same? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom