Social Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Who is happy with their social life? Are you 100% happy? 10%?
What aspect of your social life would you like to improve upon? Do you have any plans to make it happen?

No, I am not happy with my social life. It seems like I cannot expand my circle of friends. I have tried to go to local community events and social gatherings, but so far nothing has seemed to work. I would not mind taking some classes in things that I am interested in as a way to meet people, but the closest community college is 40+ miles away!! So, here I am on a Saturday night on the computer. :(

I think we are all in charge of our happiness, in a way. We have a small but lovely group of friends that we enjoy spending time with. We have a lot in common , generally, but there are enough differences to make our times together interesting. I love to cook, so entertain fairly often, and we are invited out just often enough to suit us. I don't get involved with people who just aren't a good fit for me. They probaably see it that way, too.

Life is too short to waste time being unhappy, and our social life is one aspect that we are in charge of. :)

I always felt that high school is a way of keeping the youth busy until college. I didnt like college either. Heck the 1st 2 years is high school all over again anyhew. :?
But right now I am a bit of a loaner. *making sure door is locked*
8.gif

my social life sucks. long story short...
everybody i thought was a friend, turned
out not to be. i have 2 really good friends,
one being my sister and the other is a guy
whom i love dearly. i always have his shoulder
to lean on when i need it. when my grandfather
died, he was the only one to call me (other than
family) just to see if i was okay.

Middie hun, I'm right there with you! The one person who I thought of as my best friend turned out to be nothing more than a weight in my life. After our friendship ended last year & I realized that no one other than family ever called me I was extremely depressed but on the up side of that I felt much happier that the friendship was over. Now, I still only get calls from family but I appriciate that so much more than I did. Hubby did meet a lady through work about a month ago & we have gotten together with she & her hubby & their daughter twice in the past couple of weeks & we talk almost every night either on the phone or Yahoo. So, that has been really nice. But I know that after the incident with my other friend it will be really hard for me to get close to another person like I did her. I just take it all in stride & figure that God has a plan that He's not ready to reviele to me yet. I enjoy having all of you here as friends because I know that I can come here & vent, cry, & laugh when I need to & I thank you all for that. I count you all as blessings in my life!

Thank you, crewsk, I feel the same about this site as you do.
Yes, I am very happy with my social life. I have 3 very close girlfriends. We were friends from high school and one is a friend from 1st grade. We get together about 6 times a year or more and have lunch and a movie. Sometimes lunch continues on to dinner :LOL: . I have my family, friends, and you guys. That's all I need.

Crewsk and middie, I'm in the same boat as you are. I'll spare you the details but I, too, ended up losing most of my friends a few years ago (due to a very spiteful and hurtful ex-husband). With moving around a lot growing up, I didn't really stay in touch with childhood friends. So mainly it's my wonderful hubby and family that I'm close to and social with. DH and I both agree that we need to find a new circle of friends, but it's so hard to do. Like SC said, we've tried getting involved in classes or community activities, but people are all so busy these days no one seems to be able to take the time to expand their circles. I, too, was so thankful when I found all of you this past fall. You have truly made my life feel fuller. Thanks for being so special!

The Internet is amazing. I know more about some of you folks than I know about the people next door. Is it the anonymity of the cyberspace that induces us to tell if not "all" at least "more"?

mudbug said:
The Internet is amazing. I know more about some of you folks than I know about the people next door. Is it the anonymity of the cyberspace that induces us to tell if not "all" at least "more"?

I agree mud, and I think you're right. Plus being on line, there are no obligations or expectations like there can be (and unfortunately are too much of the time) with "face-to-face" friends. We log on when we can and we're accepted at face value. Too bad relationships can't be like this more often!

middie said:
my social life sucks. long story short...
everybody i thought was a friend, turned
out not to be. i have 2 really good friends,
one being my sister and the other is a guy
whom i love dearly. i always have his shoulder
to lean on when i need it. when my grandfather
died, he was the only one to call me (other than
family) just to see if i was okay.

Yes, I know what you mean. It is hard, after a while to one day, finally notice that all that people around you where everything but your friends... I think it has happened to the best of us. life is cyclic, I believe and for periods, we come across a crowd that we can join but we do it without really evaluating everyone's interests. Finding true friendship is not very common. I might know hundreds of people, out of which only 2 or 3 really care about me and I for them. hard times are good "reveling" method to see who your friends are. Ever noticed, when things are not going well, you find yourself lonelier that ever?... No one wants to hang around problems, unless they care about you.
I decided a while ago that it is not worth it, working hard towards having a full agenda when it comes to social life. It is best to enjoy the moments you have with friends and learn to fly solo, that too can be fun and very constructive.
I'll shut up now :oops:

Ps.: What social life? Sushi...

I am a very happy person now, I have my daughter nearby, some good friends (more close acquaintences), DC friends (cannot forget you guys); the awesome bicycle path along the Willamette, Saturday market coming end of the month through December, my cookbooks and planning recipes for dinner, coming and going as I wish. It would be nice to have someone to share these activities with, but if I do not, I do not and I refuse to dwell on what I do not have. Better to concentrate and enjoy what I do have. I am retired and go out several times a week to lunch or museums, movies, etc. Everying morning when I have coffee and read the newspaper, if my name does not appear in the obit, I plan my day. :LOL:

PA Baker said:
mudbug said:

I agree mud, and I think you're right. Plus being on line, there are no obligations or expectations like there can be (and unfortunately are too much of the time) with "face-to-face" friends. We log on when we can and we're accepted at face value. Too bad relationships can't be like this more often!

How true!! You are both so right on this one!

Hi, all...

I have had very little social life for a long time, as the store and internet have taken all of my time and energy. I, too, moved around all the time as a kid and have very few connections with childhood friends. However, I have gotten back into music, put out an ad today to teach lessons again and have gotten together with a guitarist and we're rehearsing in preparation for performing locally. Music used to be a big part of my life, and I have missed it the past few years. I'm hoping playing will get me away from work and out with people again. :)

I totally related to middie, crewsk and PA Baker.

I thought I had 'good friends' at work once. But when it came to the crunch, I was fired because none of them had the honesty or integrity to own up to a situation, (of which I had nothing to do with, just in the wrong place at the wrong time). So the finger was conveniently pointed.

Another 'friend' used to pressure me to join a certain book club she belonged to, so she could get bigger discounts off her purchases.

My DH brother and sister in law stood up for us at our wedding, then a year later, conned us out of several thousand dollars.

My DH had 2 wonderful close friends who both died in their early 40s.

Sorry if I sound bitter and twisted. I'm not really, but I almost feel relieved that I dont have friends, (not face-to-face ones anyway). I said in one of my early posts here that you all seem such a friendly and welcoming bunch, and I still believe that.

I've also noticed that many here show genuine care and concern for their fellow members. Its really like a fellowship here. Big hug from aussie girl. :)

I cant say Im happy with my social life.

Up to recently I was engaged with a girl and friends with EVERYONE on my floor in my apartment building. I had some one to share my bed, some one to have cigarrets with in the fire escape and plenty of friends to party with and watch the simpsons and 24 and the news with.

When I finally decided I wasent getting back together with the ex I had to dump "our" circle of friends too (in the process I pretty much gave up drinking and havent had a cigarret since) but now my main friends are my roomie, his g.f. and that's about it. Still Im trying to get out a bit more and hopefully meet a few girls since I've had more than long enough to recover.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom