Best frosting? And first post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaldoAwad

Assistant Cook
Hey guys! im Walid but everyone calls me Waldo. I have a huge addiction to baking! Anything I put in the oven turns out good (knock on wood) but I wanna learn more and grow as a baker which is why I joined. So my question is, what is the best frosting you guys know of for cupcakes and cakes. I have a butter cream frosting recipe from Wilton that I added my own twist to but I want one were people go crazy for it and don't find it too sweet. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Hey guys! im Walid but everyone calls me Waldo. I have a huge addiction to baking! Anything I put in the oven turns out good (knock on wood) but I wanna learn more and grow as a baker which is why I joined. So my question is, what is the best frosting you guys know of for cupcakes and cakes. I have a butter cream frosting recipe from Wilton that I added my own twist to but I want one were people go crazy for it and don't find it too sweet. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

One of the recipes that so many here on DC agree on is the Hershey chocolate cake and frosting that you can find on the back of the Hershey Cocoa container. It is to die for.

We have several folks here that bake for a living. You should be hearing from them shortly. And then we have the home bakers who are great in the kitchen also.

Welcome to DC. You are going to have a lot of fun here. Looking for a laugh? Go to Today's Funny. Or look for the Chicken Chronicals. :chef:

Welcome to DC! Addie's right, the Hershey's frosting rocks!

I have to agree with Addie too. That is my favorite frosting. I do like cream cheese frosting too. Welcome.

Addie said:
One of the recipes that so many here on DC agree on is the Hershey chocolate cake and frosting that you can find on the back of the Hershey Cocoa container. It is to die for.

We have several folks here that bake for a living. You should be hearing from them shortly. And then we have the home bakers who are great in the kitchen also.

Welcome to DC. You are going to have a lot of fun here. Looking for a laugh? Go to Today's Funny. Or look for the Chicken Chronicals. :chef:

Thank you! And ok I'll give it a try! I can't wait to be so involved

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
A twist on the Hershey's frosting that I am fond of is the addition of a bit of cayenne in it. Not too much, just enough to give it some extra warmth in the back of the throat.
'Course, folks here can attest that sometimes I eat some weird stuff.

Hoot said:
Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
A twist on the Hershey's frosting that I am fond of is the addition of a bit of cayenne in it. Not too much, just enough to give it some extra warmth in the back of the throat.
'Course, folks here can attest that sometimes I eat some weird stuff.

That does sound weird, but I may try it anyway!!

hello & welcome from manchester uk waldo.i'm can't bake,can't make pastry & flour & i just don't see eye to eye.....so i'm always impressed by people who can bake.welcome on board W:cool:!

Look up the Crumbboss swiss buttercream. It is a variation on Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It is very fluffy less sweet and heavy than a traditional Wilton style. A traditional Swiss meringue buttercream can taste like you are eating sweet whipped butter, but this one has been switched up a bit, making it a bit sweeter but not as sweet and heavy as wilton. This is a technique driven recipe and not as simple as the wilton recipe, but worth the effort. Like all fat based icings it is best served at room temperature.

To take the Hershey's frosting recipe over the top, Combine the powdered sugar with the milk first. This dissolve the sugar so as to remove all graininess from the frosting. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix until silky smooth. Now, take 1/2 of the frosting and freeze it for later use. Mix 1 cup of Nutella Hazelnut Spread with the remaining frosting. It jsut doesn't get any better than that.

Another fabulous frosting is to make a ganache with cream and 70% cacao tempered chocolate. Cool and add the Nutella.

Ganache recipe:
10 oz. dark chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream

Place the cream into a double boiler over medium heat. Break the chocolate into the cream. Stir until the chocolate is melted and blended completely into the cream. Blend in the Nutella and let cool.

Ganache with Raspberry
Same as above, but don't add the Nutella. Instead, when the ganache is cooled, swirl in seedless raspberry jam. Use as frosting.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Welcome to DC! I'm not big on sweets, so I don't make frosted cakes or cupcakes very often. I do like ganache for a triple-chocolate-raspberry cake that I make for the DH's birthday. And, I do like a bit of cayenne added to the Hershey's frosting, and a sprinkle of a coarse sea salt on top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom