What to do with grapefruit juice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellyCooks

Senior Cook
Hello all ~
I was given a bag of grapefruit at Christmas. I ate as many as I could and juiced the rest. I froze the juice and now would like to know if anyone has a recipe that uses the juice. I can always drink it, but thought there might be a yummy recipe out there that I could try. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Kades posted an avocado salad that included grapefruit juice...someone was going to substitute grapefruit juice for key lime juice and make a grapefruit pie. Might search the threads for key lime and find that post--can't remember if it was Alix or ? Me--I drink it.

It would be good in a marinade for chicken or fish. It would be good substituted for lemon juice in salad dressings.

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Ruby red grapefruit in season can be lovely just by itself and / or in a fruit and vegetable salad ... I like it with pomegranate seeds, rocket or arugula, peach, black berries, pineapple and / or mango & papaya ... Evoo and sea salt, and rasberry vinegar ...

I do not care for cooked or baked grapefruit at all.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Besides the obvious question of how did it come by its name...
after all, it ain't purple, (I know that all grapes ain't purple..just makin' a point)
it don't grow on a vine,
it don't grow in clusters like grapes,
it sure don't taste like grapes etc., etc.

Two words come to mind: Salty Dog

"Two words come to mind: Salty Dog"

In the Elmore Leonard novel Swag, the Salty Dog is the preferred drink of honest and hard-working career criminals Frank Ryan and Ernest Stickley, Jr. -- wikipedia

Best use yet Hoot.

Thank you, everyone! I love the idea of Hollywood Derby Grapefruit cake as well as a substitute in key lime pie. I will definitely use some in salad dressings and wherever I can substitute it for lemon! I appreciate all your help! You guys are great!

AND ..... Hoot, you're a "HOOT"!!!

Thanks, Whiskadoodle, I've always wanted to know what career criminals drink! I think I'll make myself a "Salty Dog" and go check out the local bank!?!

You're very welcome, Shelly. Since you've eaten the grapefruits (Post #1), you can use the juice for the frosting, in a souffle or cocktail. ;-)

Hoot, I like your suggestion! First thing that came to my mind was a grapefruit margherita (I always get the spelling on that incorrect!)

Grapefruit curd, subbing grapefruit juice for the lemon. Princess Fiona's lemon curd recipe is excellent, I subbed lime. :yum:

And grapefruit margs and salty dogs, + 1! A Seabreeze is nice too, GF juice, cranberry juice, and vodka.

Last edited:
Grapefruit curd, subbing grapefruit juice for the lemon. Princess Fiona's lemon curd recipe is excellent, I subbed lime. :yum:

And grapefruit margs and salty dogs, + 1! A Seabreeze is nice too, GF juice, cranberry juice, and vodka.

I had a quart of grapefruit juice this morning...:rolleyes:

How about subbing grapefruit juice for lemon or lime in a salad dressing. This looks interesting. 1 pint of sour cream,juice of 1 lemon try using grapefruit instead. 2 tea. dill. I'd add 1 Tab. brown sugar
Or Mash 2 avocados til smooth, add grapefruit juice about 2 tab. add 1 tab. mayo, salt and pepper 1 tea. grated onion, 1 tea. sugar. to taste.3/4 cup salad oil 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar. Mix well Put you salad in seperate bowl,blend salad oil with the balsamic vinegar. Stir it into the avocado mix serve over peeled and sliced tomatoes or toss with the greens or a seafood salad. enjoy
kades

Besides the obvious question of how did it come by its name...
after all, it ain't purple, (I know that all grapes ain't purple..just makin' a point)
it don't grow on a vine,
it don't grow in clusters like grapes,
it sure don't taste like grapes etc., etc.

Two words come to mind: Salty Dog

It does grow in clusters like grapes. Hence it's name...GRAPEfruit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom