Camp Coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I reckon this is as good a place for this topic as any.
When you go camping, how do you make coffee?

Generally, when I go campin' there ain't no electricity. I have been making coffee for nigh on to thirty years using the following method.
I reckon some folks will not care for it, but when in a primitive camp and someone else has made the fire and the coffee, I have found that most folks are mighty glad to have Hoot's coffee.
Build a good fire (that might be a topic for a later discussion)
Fetch water for the coffee pot and set the pot on the grate or hang the pot over the fire.
Throw in a couple of handfuls of coffee.
Let the pot go until it boils over.
Remove the coffee pot from over the fire afore it puts the fire out.
Pour some cold water in the pot.
The cold water will carry the grounds to the bottom of the coffeepot.
IMHO, this is some of the best coffee in the world.
True, the last cup or two will likely have some grounds in it, but that is a sure sign it's time to make another pot.
'Course, some folks have gotten lazy and use them little packages of coffee that you find in the grocery store.
As this is polite company, I won't say what we call them things at Rendezvous.

I believe I am not supposed to say this..but I do not camp. Lol not because I do not like it, but because of the toilet issues there.

some friends tried to change my mind several years ago but I think i am hopeless...so they gave up.

Hoot, what about taking several bags for the fiter coffee machine with you? if you do not like grounds in your cup.

Honestly I wouldn't mind trying your coffee, in fact I love coffee so much that I often chew a coffee bean, smells divine

The United States Army instilled a true hatred of camping in me a very long time ago. I make coffee in my kitchen or I drop in at Starbucks, just like normal people.

I believe I am not supposed to say this..but I do not camp. Lol not because I do not like it, but because of the toilet issues there.

+1. Love the campfire, hate the outhouse etc.

Camp coffee sounds a bit like emergency coffee in our house. If you run out of coffee filters well, that's what you'd do! Still tastes good, just a bit gritty.

My dad, who worked as a sheepherder for a summer, claimed that they made coffee similar to what you describe except that the grounds were not poured out till the pot got too full to leave room for the coffee.

These days I have an insulated french press specifically made for camping.

Last edited:
Hoot, what about taking several bags for the fiter coffee machine with you? if you do not like grounds in your cup.

I truly do not mind grounds in my coffee...As for a coffee machine, most of the time there ain't no electricity. I don't believe a coffee machine would fare too well over the fire pit. :LOL:
The bags you mention are showing up at Rendezvous....I reckon they are OK, just ain't my style.

Last edited:
I truly do not mind grounds in my coffee...As for a coffee machine, most of the time there ain't no electricity. I don't believe a coffee machine would fare too well over the fire pit. :LOL:
The bags you mention are showing up at Rendezvous....I reckon they are OK, just ain't my style.

lol iby using filter bags i meant to use them to pour your coffee in your cup. Not to take the machine and make the coffee with it, just the bags. ;)

I brought a Coleman coffee maker with me when I went camping. It is like a Mr. Coffee machine that fits on the top of a Coleman white gas stove. It takes a while to brew but the coffee it produces is pretty good.

The only problem with it is it's size. It's pretty big and comes with a glass carafe. But for car camping it's not too much of a problem.

41yIHpS9XlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Chad

Camp coffee is what my dad made at hunting camp. When we would go "camping" mom would use an old fashioned stovetop perkolator. Of course this was in our 30 ft. self contained travel trailer...

I'll never forget the smell of that coffee first thing in the morning along with the smell of breakfast cooking outside on the camp stove.

I was once invited to supper on a Polish ship. The meal was great. Then it was time for coffee and dessert. One of the sailors put a couple of heaping tablespoons of dark brown powder in each large mug and then poured hot water into the mugs. I was aghast. The powder came out of a jar marked "instant coffee". :ohmy:

I bravely tried the coffee. It was wonderful! I figured it out when I got near the bottom of the cup and found the coffee grounds. I use that method at home for "emergencies".

I like to take 12 to 16 oz of strong ground coffee, mix an egg in it, then wrap it in cheese cloth and tie it off . Dump it into my coffe pot and boil for 15 minutes, let sit for another 5 mins, remove the "sack" with a pig tail and serve.
My pot holds 2 gallons filled to the bottom of the spout. I also have a 5 gallon stainless steel milk can I use for large crowds and serve with a large laddle.

39817-albums930-picture5298.jpg

I thought this thread was about the coffee in a bottle called Camp Coffee. Anyone ever use that. ?

Never been camping myself but if I did I would make tea of course .

+1. Love the campfire, hate the outhouse etc.

Camp coffee sounds a bit like emergency coffee in our house. If you run out of coffee filters well, that's what you'd do! Still tastes good, just a bit gritty.

Have you never rinsed off your last filter and dried it in the m/w? Then you reuse it until you can get to the store. :angel:

When we really camped years ago we used the Hoot method and then tossed in a couple of egg shells to help settle the grounds.

You drank the top half of the cup and chewed the last half! It tasted great and it was very filling! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

When we really camped years ago we used the Hoot method and then tossed in a couple of egg shells to help settle the grounds.

You drank the top half of the cup and chewed the last half! It tasted great and it was very filling! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

They make coffee on the fishing boats with the egg shells. I was never a fan of it. They also toss in a dash of salt. The men usually made it strong enough so that your spoon would stand up on its own. And I have never been fond of chewing on coffee grounds. I always had a cup of tea. :angel:

I make good old South African Moer Koffie. Put the grounds in a cut off stocking (not used), let it simmer in an earthenware coffee pot over the fire. Add a dash of brandy and sit around the campfire telling stories.

i have to laugh at slob's "normal" people comment. life might be drastically different by him, but here the least normal people frequent starbucks ordering drinks rhat are far from a cup of camp coffee.

that said, using some kind of reuseable filter like a cheesecloth or stocking (unused, lol. unless that's your thing) would make sense and gave negligible weight; important for a traveller to a rustic environment such as a rendezvous.

Just got back from the Spring 'Vous yesterday. T'was uncommon chilly for the time of year. Mrs Hoot had indicated to me a few years ago that she would never again go to our winter camp. I 'spect that she will be marking future spring events off her calendar if there is even the slightest hint of chill in the air.
Back on topic.....More and more I am finding that "proper" coffee is getting scarce at the rendezvous. Just makes me more determined to keep doin' things my way.

Back
Top Bottom