Fishin' Best Memories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
All this talk about fishing on the camp food thread got me thinking about great times I've had with a fishing pole in my hand. I'll tell you some of mine, if you'll tell me some of yours.

1. I was a youngster of about ten years and had talked my Dad into letting me bring a freind with us, to one of our favorite streams. My Dad wasn't much into taking others, because he wanted to keep our best places secret.

Well, I, and my freind were fishing opposite sides of the stream, with my Dad ahead of us, but within earshot. Donny, (my freind), stepped toward the edge of the bank in order to reach a good looking hole. Suddenly, he started yelping, and jumping around, and heading away from the stream. As he moved, he yelped - "Bees!" I knew then that he'd stepped squarely on a ground hornets nest. I move quickly forward so as not to get stung myself.

Now you have to understand that a year before, and two years before that, I had stepped on ground hornets nests and got all stung up. I had a healthy fear of the little flying beasts.

After the day of fishing was done, we all headed back to the two-track that would take us back to the car. Well, Donny saw a great ant mound in the middle of the two-track. I wasn't all that sure that it was filled with ants, and still had the fresh memories of Donny's encounter with the yellow jackets. The, I looked up. Above my head circled several deer flies. Now a deer fly doesn't look a lot like a hornet, or wasp. But it is yellow-bodied.

I panicked. I took off running as my Dad tried to tell me that they were only deer flies. But he was having a hard time because he was laughing so hard. I ran all the way to the car, about a mile in distance, looking upward and still seeing the deer flies buzzing above me. I then ran all the way back to where my Dad and Donny were still walking. My dad stopped me and let me know of my erroneous identification of the bugs. I had lost a shoe during the run, and had abandoned it, as I wasn't about to slow down and retrieve it while the deer flies were chasing me. I picked it up on the way to the car. We laughed about the incident for years.

2. My Dad had rented a row boat from which we were to fish a great perch filled area called Back Bay. He rowed us out and set the anchor. We proceeded to fish with minnows and night crawlers. Now my Dad was one of the best fishermen I have ever known. He never got skunked. Me, it was a 50/50 chance whether I would catch fish in open water.

Dad fished one side of the boat, and I fished the other. Suddenly, I started catching fish, as fast as I could get them off the hook and re-bait my line. Dad wasn't getting a bite. After about ten minutes of this, he pulled rank on me, which I didn't think was at all fair, and we changed sides. As luck would have it, the school of perch moved with me, and the process continued. I was pulling them up as fast as I could, and my poor Dad wasn't getting any. That was the only day in my life that I out-fished my Dad.

3. Me and Dad were fishing a beaver dam. He was a ways away from me, and we were both having good luck. I spotted a submerged log, with a good looking hole under it. I flipped my night crawler toward the log, and sure enough, a beautiful brookie darted out from underneath, intent on inhaling my worm. To my surprise, he stopped short of it by about 3 inches. It was like he ran into an invisible pane of glass. He lunged a couple more times, with each effort resulting in him coming up short. He slunk back under the log, giving up on the worm.

Now he was a nice fish, and I wanted him. Besides, my curiosity was running full boar. So I flipped the worm toward him again, but this time closer to the log. Sure enough, he lunged and gulped the worm. I set the hook and began to reel him in. But at that same spot that he'd been unable to pass before, he came to a dead stop again. And I couldn't move him. I wasn't going to lose that fish.

The water didn't look too deep, and so I waded in. It rose up to my chest. When I got to the fish, and bent down to get it, I found out what was causing this strange circumstance. Someone else had caught this critter before me, but had snapped his line. The fish was still tethered to the log by the other hook and fishing line. So I reached into the water and snipped the line, saving both me and the fish a slow death by starvation. Well, maybe I wasn't starving, exactly, but I was awful skinny in those days.:LOL:

I have so many wonderful stories about fishing, things like catching my best friend in the ear lobe, or outrunning a lake freighter at night, in a canoe with no lights, or watching my Dad fall out of the canoe, things like that. But now, it's your turn. Share with us a good memory.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Growing up, I spent part of every summer at Lake of the Woods (northern MN). My grandpa had this Lund aluminum boat, he'd load us up in the boat, and we'd head out to fish off the third sand bar, or the loaf, or the reef. It would be my dad, my brothers, and I in the boat. My grandpa had an old "short" steel fishing rod that each of the grandkids used to catch their own fish. I would watch my bobber until it went under, and then grandpa would help me reel it in. I caught my first fish when I was 4 years old. A keeper-sized walleye.

My parents had a cabin on the Canadian side of LOW for about 10 years. I would spend about 4-6 weeks there every summer. That side of the lake is rocky. If the weather was nice, we'd get up early, pack a shore lunch, load the dogs into the boat, and head out to the islands. We'd fish until about noon, tie up to a tree on one of the islands, clean the fish, and have what we'd brought and the fresh fish (walleye) for shore lunch. Then we'd grab our books and pretend we were seals and lie on the warm granite rocks in the sun, read, nap, swim, and then pack it all in and fish our way home.

Often times we'd watch eagles fishing, great blue heron, and the loons diving. Ahhh--those were the glorious summers!

Fishing at LOW is still my most favorite thing at my most favorite place--I have moved, my parents have moved, others have died, but LOW has stayed the same. I missed it this summer--but still planning on going to LOW for a couple of days of R-and-R in September. Who knows, my godfather might come up and we might go fishing...

Dad and I were fishing at one of his favorite spots on Lake of the Woods, and we ran out of minnows. We were having some luck, and didn't want to stop, so Dad poked out a couple of fish eyes, and we baited the hooks with them. We had never caught so many walleyes! Hit after hit. And the eyeballs stayed on the hook, so no need to re-bait. Next day, Dad thought we were on to something, and we brought a stash of fish eyes. Of course, we caught nothing.

Baby Bro and I went fishing on LOW as young adults, caught a few, and filetted them in the boat. Then we proceeded to have a fish gut fight. We came back to the cabin, covered in fish guts, scales, and offal. My mom refused to let us in the cabin till we hosed off.

Last edited:
H and I as kids wearing shorts went poaching trout by means of tickling. Climbing down the bank I disturbed a wasp nest. Think shorts tender area's and mad wasps.:LOL:

H and I as kids wearing shorts went poaching trout by means of tickling. Climbing down the bank I disturbed a wasp nest. Think shorts tender area's and mad wasps.:LOL:

I can relate. That first next I stepped on was at age 7, and like you, wearing shorts. It wasn't fun. I could open a whole new thread about how many times I've been stung over the years. It's ridiculous. It's a good thing I'm not allergic to bees, hornets, or wasps.

I'm only allergic to ornery teenagers and Wal Mart.:ROFLMAO:

Dad and I were fishing at one of his favorite spots on Lake of the Woods, and we ran out of minnows. We were having some luck, and didn't want to stop, so Dad poked out a couple of fish eyes, and we baited the hooks with them. We had never caught so many walleyes! Hit after hit. And the eyeballs stayed on the hook, so no need to re-bait. Next day, Dad thought we were on to something, and we brought a stash of fish eyes. Of course, we caught nothing.

Baby Bro and I went fishing on LOW as young adults, caught a few, and filetted them in the boat. Then we proceeded to have a fish gut fight. We came back to the cabin, covered in fish guts, scales, and offal. My mom refused to let us in the cabin till we hosed off.
+1

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I can relate. That first next I stepped on was at age 7, and like you, wearing shorts. It wasn't fun. I could open a whole new thread about how many times I've been stung over the years. It's ridiculous. It's a good thing I'm not allergic to bees, hornets, or wasps.

I'm only allergic to ornery teenagers and Wal Mart.:ROFLMAO:

Goodweed Im glad you feel my pain:)

I have fond memories of backpacking with my grandfather and fishing in the High Sierra's. You could catch as many lake trout as you wanted and usually only took a couple of casts to get one. They were small but tasty. I also caught a 4lb brown while trolling with the wrong gear and going too fast. I was 12 or 13 and it was just me and a friend in the speedboat. There was a WW2 bomber that crashed in the lake and they tried to salvage it that same summer (after years on the bottom). I would fish and watch them bring up pieces all summer long. Most of the time it was just me at 12 or 13 and my dog in the boat. Pops gave me a gas card so I was good to go.

I mostly go Ocean fishing now and there is a story every time. It is quite an adventure going out in the pacific in a small boat. I have taken on water, had sea lions try and get in the boat, had a bi-plane buzz us and been out during a small craft advisory. We killed the fish that day but it was pretty dangerous. I wound up surfing a wave all the way into Santa Cruz in front of the lighthouse just like the surfers do but with a 19' boat in a storm. It was a battle just to get to the harbor and jump a wave to get in.

As child, my dad decided since there was no hope of a son I would do. So he outfitted me in a t-shirt, a wool shirt and blue jeans. now a paie of heavy socks and some boots. A straw hat phooey dad I wanted a ball cap:LOL: He then marched me down to the Store and stable at Sorensen's hoisted me up on a fat old horse who was already to go home and climbed up behind me. He had another horse with us to carry the fishing gear and creels, our lunch and away we went. After that first shock we started to climb the horse snorting me hanging on for dear life and dad with this big smile on his face. I didn't let on to dad I was thrilled to be the chosen ONE and my sister was back at the cabin with mother sniffeling and rubbing her eyes :ROFLMAO: I had the time of my life and learned thing that day that are still with me to this day. How to follow the stream to get back to camp. How not to thro my shaddow over the water that would scare off the fish. Now My dad would only fish mountain streams for trout. Rainbows,browns. Trout was his thing that and Birds. but we never hunted just fished. Then I got a shock, I had about 6 trout I'd cought, and was ready for lunch, Why no honey, you have to catch the rest of your limit before lunch or going home. but I learned that the limit was 20 and did that set me back on my heel.I had more fun in store on the ride Down HILL arggg that hurt, so I got dad to let me off and I ran down hill in about 5 min. The horse and dad it took 15 so I guess you know I always ran from then on. But that was so much fun, Dad taught me to clean my fish and pack it with wet grass from the stream. Oh the smells as he struck the match that would start the kindleing I'd gathered, the frying fish, the potatos and onions, Mom hauling a cobbler out of the little oven we'd borrowed from my aunt emmm Yummy And the coffee oh my I use to hate coffee but that smell worked magic and I had my first of many cups of that brew. Then as you sat there thinking over the days adventures you realized the sun was slowly sinking and crickets and frogs were making there noises. Ahh the smells,sounds of evening in the mountains. Go home???? NEVER Now put up the food in that tree so the bears can't get it.
kades

Last edited:
For me it was smelt fishing at night with nets and lanterns!

It seemed like smelt fishing broke all of the rules in my young world, being up all night, carrying a lantern with real fire in it, splashing around in the water and with adults no less.

Then head home and have a breakfast of fried smelts.

Breakfast before going to bed! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was fishing the Chama river in northern New Mexico.

It was fall so the spring runoff had subsided and the conditions were perfect.

I was wading upstream working the pocket water and deep runs to my left and right with a wooly worm pattern, black body, auburn hackle and orange tail.

It was the end of a great day and we were all in the "just one more cast" mode, each working our stake feverishly before we lost daylight and had to hoof it back to camp.

The vanilla scent of the pines was wafting over us on a cool breeze and life was soooo good.

I happened to notice the dorsal fin of a good sized trout that was hugging the bank on my left. My heart was pounding! There's nothing like sight fishing.

I took a deep breath, made my cast and dropped that fly
into the current six feet in front of that trout the whole while thinking "natural drift! natural drift! Natural drift!!!!!!" as I gently took the slack out of my line.

I saw the fin dart upstream to meet meet the fly and set the hook. Wham!

Rainbows are acrobats and take to the air when hooked but this fish dove for the deep so I knew I had a big brown. Fish on!

I played him, no, sorry he played me, and I managed to get him close enough to net. Now it gets tricky. I can't tell you how many trout get lost at the net.

I managed to net him and he was a beautiful healthy 26" brown. A true jewel of the high desert. Gleaming orange, yellow and red spots along the lateral line.

I had hooked him in the lower jaw so it was an easy release.

It had been a great day. The icing was on the cake and we were ready for beers, dinner and a campfire.

I was fishing the Chama river in northern New Mexico.

It was fall so the spring runoff had subsided and the conditions were perfect.

I was wading upstream working the pocket water and deep runs to my left and right with a wooly worm pattern, black body, auburn hackle and orange tail.

It was the end of a great day and we were all in the "just one more cast" mode, each working our stake feverishly before we lost daylight and had to hoof it back to camp.

The vanilla scent of the pines was wafting over us on a cool breeze and life was soooo good.

I happened to notice the dorsal fin of a good sized trout that was hugging the bank on my left. My heart was pounding! There's nothing like sight fishing.

I took a deep breath, made my cast and dropped that fly
into the current six feet in front of that trout the whole while thinking "natural drift! natural drift! Natural drift!!!!!!" as I gently took the slack out of my line.

I saw the fin dart upstream to meet meet the fly and set the hook. Wham!

Rainbows are acrobats and take to the air when hooked but this fish dove for the deep so I knew I had a big brown. Fish on!

I played him, no, sorry he played me, and I managed to get him close enough to net. Now it gets tricky. I can't tell you how many trout get lost at the net.

I managed to net him and he was a beautiful healthy 26" brown. A true jewel of the high desert. Gleaming orange, yellow and red spots along the lateral line.

I had hooked him in the lower jaw so it was an easy release.

It had been a great day. The icing was on the cake and we were ready for beers, dinner and a campfire.

Oh yehhhhh:punk:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Poo was just a baby cutting his teeth. Miserable kid. There was a lake within walking distance. I put him in the carriage and headed out. The movement of the carriage and the fresh air helped him sleep. Went to the far side of the lake where there weren't any people.

Neighbor heard about my jaunts to the lake. Asked if he could come along for some fishing. Wanted some company. He brought me a pole. I really wasn't in the mood for fishing. Just wanted to make the baby happy. So I threw my line in, laid back down on the grass and before you knew it I had a bite. Neighbor was a little ticked off. Here he was following all the rules of fishing and I was the one catching them. At the end of a couple of hours, baby's mother had six, neighbor had none. I let him take them home and tell his family about his great catch. To this day, it has been our secret. Eventually it got too cold to take the baby out there and the trips came to an end. :angel:

if pictures are worth a thousand words, here's a few thousand words from this past year:

img_1236647_0_865fd12060dc7225719852e869b082ba.jpg

img_1236647_1_dbbd6360ea78c75962ae4ca7f2df40df.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

img_1236647_2_a9a1d1a4e47c7f8203507b9f0b2ca613.jpg

Went fishing with a high school friend in Robert Moses state park. He caught the only fish. It was a 20 pond stripped bass on a bucktail borrowed from me.

Used to go flounder fishing in Cold Spring Harbor with my dad. He manned the outboard and I hauled the anchor. My reward was to eat the clams scraped up on the mushroom anchor.

Three pound winter flounder and five pound weakfish used to be fairly common in my area; not so in the past 25 years.

I'm partial to tautog but have not caught any in quite a while.

addie, it's a smoothe dogfish, also known as a sand shark. they look like it, but they're really not sharks.

don't tell my boy that, though. ;)

addie, it's a smoothe dogfish, also known as a sand shark. they look like it, but they're really not sharks.

don't tell my boy that, though. ;)

My lips are sealed. What a brave boy. He caught a BIG dangerous shark all by himself. I now feel safer in the water.

I am more afraid of that one with the teeth. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom