Avocados - How Do You Prepare/Dishes You Like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cerise

Washing Up
What dishes do you like & prepare with this creamy velvety nutritious fruit? I enjoy salads, garnishing soups, dips (guacamole), Mexican cuisine, stuffing an avo with crab salad, spread on toast, or just naked. What are some of your favorites.

Avacado smoothie
Stuffed with seafood or sliced with seafood on spinach.
Sliced in tacos
Chopped and mixed with sesame oil/seeds ans soy with some wasabi
Quacamole
In salads
In sandwiches or burgers
On top of a steak with some salsa
As a replacement or addition for the ham in Eggs Benedict

The description below doesn't do this appetizer justice. It's a regular on the menu at a favorite restuarant in Aruba.

Avocado De La Mar
A unique combination; a fresh slice of avocado filled with a salad of shrimp and crab meat

Andy M. said:
The description below doesn't do this appetizer justice. It's a regular on the menu at a favorite restuarant in Aruba.

Avocado De La Mar
A unique combination; a fresh slice of avocado filled with a salad of shrimp and crab meat

This reminds me of a visit to London when I was in college. We had prawns in avocado halves whenever we could. As I recall it was with a very light tomato-based dressing.

Avocado De La Mar

Do they deliver? ;)

Last edited:
This reminds me of a visit to London when I was in college. We had prawns in avocado halves whenever we could. As I recall it was with a very light tomato-based dressing.

Green Goddess dressing would be nice, too.:cool:

I had a half avocado (unpeeled) that was lightly brushed with olive oil mixed with a drop or two of honey and grilled, cut side down. I had never had grilled avocado, but this was delicious. It was served with grilled pineapple, peaches, and grilled prawns on a lightly dressed bed of mixed greens. Yum!

I had a half avocado (unpeeled) that was lightly brushed with olive oil mixed with a drop or two of honey and grilled, cut side down. I had never had grilled avocado, but this was delicious. It was served with grilled pineapple, peaches, and grilled prawns on a lightly dressed bed of mixed greens. Yum!

Sounds delish, Shelly! I'll have to remember to add some honey. Thank you. :)

Avocados rarely make it into dish around here. Cut in half and eat, nothing fancy, no salt and pepper or anything.

Avocados rarely make it into dish around here. Cut in half and eat, nothing fancy, no salt and pepper or anything.
Well then PF I'm going to have to convince you to try Dad's avocado dip. After eating this you will ask where has this been all my life.
ma

Well then PF I'm going to have to convince you to try Dad's avocado dip. After eating this you will ask where has this been all my life.
ma

Better make it a two avocado recipe, one for the recipe the second for the cook...:rolleyes:

Better make it a two avocado recipe, one for the recipe the second for the cook...:rolleyes:
Mash 2 good sized avocado's Haas preferably. mash well add 1 Tab. evoo,1 tea. Worcestershire, 2 cloves crushed garlic or 3 -4 cloves you decide. Mix in about 1/2 c mayo or more if you like it pale green like me...Besides this make the recipe go farther:yum: add salt taste after about 20 min then add more garlic,evoo,Worcestershire. My mom loved this with crumbled crisp bacon in it. My dod not so much me, I'll take it anyway I can get it. To eat I slice up a skinny baguette in to thin slices, sit down with my baseball bat and wave at the others as I shoo them away:ROFLMAO:
ma

Mash 2 good sized avocado's Haas preferably. mash well add 1 Tab. evoo,1 tea. Worcestershire, 2 cloves crushed garlic or 3 -4 cloves you decide. Mix in about 1/2 c mayo or more if you like it pale green like me...Besides this make the recipe go farther:yum: add salt taste after about 20 min then add more garlic,evoo,Worcestershire. My mom loved this with crumbled crisp bacon in it. My dod not so much me, I'll take it anyway I can get it. To eat I slice up a skinny baguette in to thin slices, sit down with my baseball bat and wave at the others as I shoo them away:ROFLMAO:
ma

Thanks, Ma! So, I need three avocados:LOL: And a bat...

Avocado Salsa
4 medium tomatos
4 jalapeno's
seeded, minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 coarse salt
1/2 black pepper
1 ripe avocado
1. Preheat grill to high.
2. Place the tomatoes on the grate and grill until lightly browned and soft
Let cool.
3. Put tomatoes in a food processor or blender and process to a
coarse puree. Add all other ingredients except avocado and
process just to mix, not too much.
4. Add avocado and process just a bit. Avocado pieces should be still visible in salsa.
5. Add more lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.

Avocado Salsa
4 medium tomatos
4 jalapeno's
seeded, minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 coarse salt
1/2 black pepper
1 ripe avocado
1. Preheat grill to high.
2. Place the tomatoes on the grate and grill until lightly browned and soft
Let cool.
3. Put tomatoes in a food processor or blender and process to a
coarse puree. Add all other ingredients except avocado and
process just to mix, not too much.
4. Add avocado and process just a bit. Avocado pieces should be still visible in salsa.
5. Add more lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.

I bet this would be great with grilled fish. You reminded me of strawberry/avocado salsa w/ lime juice, diced red onion, cilantro & jalapeno. Your other recipe sounds unique. Thanks, Jim.

I will have to dig up a photo of Mexican avocados taken in a small grocery store there in July. They're the size of a small beagle.

A little S&P and a light squeeze of lime juice and they're good on practically anything.
I love putting them in breakfast tacos.

A little S&P and a light squeeze of lime juice and they're good on practically anything.
I love putting them in breakfast tacos.
I like a bit of Avocado oil with that--but I just eat 1/2 at a time.

I also like homemade avocado-pistachio nut ice cream....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom