Gravy for 40-50?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
How much gravy do you think I'd need for about 40 to 50 people? Let's say I am using simple 2-2-1 formula. That would make cup and a 1/4 total volume right? What is the avarage ammount of gravy a person can have?
Totallt lost on this one.

For 20 people, you should plan about 5-6 cups gravy; for 50 about 12-15 cups gravy. I think the standard portion size is 1/3 c, but it depends on what you are serving...

I will be serving mashed potato and baked chicken with it. :LOL: Or the other way around.
Otherwise pretty standard: salad with some appetizers, then soup and then chicken with sautéed mushrooms and gravy.
So, if I multiply the recipe by 10 I should be good, right?

Last edited:
I have actually done this. When we hosted Thanksgiving. (DxW has a large family). I say a gallon, Plus for us, some extra for leftovers. We make gravy the day before. Roast/ brown/boil up turkey wings, backs, necks and make a rich stock . ( I've used a couple chopped up thighs when I couldn't get enough inexpensive parts). Make gravy. Cool. Store overnight in a 5 quart ice cream bucket. Make 2 turkeys for thanksgiving. Combine the chilled gravy with the drippings from both roasting pans , Thin or thicken as needed. Voila, there is plenty of gravy.

The premade gravy nearly fills the ice cream bucket, so there's a gallon. Depending on, there is enough leftover for several regular meals.

I looked up 1 gallon makes about 16 cups. CWS is about right too. 15 cups @ 1/3 cup serving size. I think both estimates are good comparisons.

Last edited:
CharlieD, I'd probably estimate an additional quart or so of gravy--of course, I'm thinking it would be great to put in the freezer for my poutine cravings! Ideally, a 1/3 c ladle would be nice, but if you know you have 40 people coming, 1.5x gravy per person to allow for piggies like me who do two ladlefuls of gravy.

I have actually done this. When we hosted Thanksgiving. (DxW has a large family). I say a gallon, Plus for us, some extra for leftovers. We make gravy the day before. Roast/ brown/boil up turkey wings, backs, necks and make a rich stock . ( I've used a couple chopped up thighs when I couldn't get enough inexpensive parts). Make gravy. Cool. Store overnight in a 5 quart ice cream bucket. Make 2 turkeys for thanksgiving. Combine the chilled gravy with the drippings from both roasting pans , Thin or thicken as needed. Voila, there is plenty of gravy.

The premade gravy nearly fills the ice cream bucket, so there's a gallon. Depending on, there is enough leftover for several regular meals.

I looked up 1 gallon makes about 16 cups. CWS is about right too. 15 cups @ 1/3 cup serving size. I think both estimates are good comparisons.
+1

In all the truth I have done it many times, every time having tons of leftovers. If I was not so unorganised I would be writing down how much of wha I've done. But I am terible. I do not cook from recipes, I do not write things down. Non of my dishes ever taste the same. It's terible. Time to grow up, just don't tell my kids I said so.

Charlie, if you're serving the food, a half cup per person will be more than enough. If people are serving themselves, you may want a little more.

In all the truth I have done it many times, every time having tons of leftovers. If I was not so unorganised I would be writing down how much of wha I've done. But I am terible. I do not cook from recipes, I do not write things down. Non of my dishes ever taste the same. It's terible. Time to grow up, just don't tell my kids I said so.
I don't cook professionally, Charlie, but that is my problem too--I don't write things down--I cook by "taste and by golly" and I don't repeat recipes very often. So many things I want to make, I rarely make the same thing 2x a year. I'm sure your dishes are excellent! This is how my grandma cooked--I think she was a grown up.

:LOL:Yeah, but that is you grandma, mine was the same, and that is me, what a bum;)

Stupid thing I have done many times. As the matter of fact it is my "go to..." dish to make when cooking for a lot of people. It is supper easy and supper tasty, everybody likes it. I really should just write it down.

:LOL:Yeah, but that is you grandma, mine was the same, and that is me, what a bum;)

Stupid thing I have done many times. As the matter of fact it is my "go to..." dish to make when cooking for a lot of people. It is supper easy and supper tasty, everybody likes it. I really should just write it down.
I say that too--and then I get busy cooking and I taste and, oh, there's something missing, so I toss in a bit of this and a bit of that...

Here is a site I check occasionally for quantities. Not necessarily for recipes, but it is a good guide for quantities. This is roast beef and gravy for 50. It says about 2 quarts for 3 oz per person. Half gallon? roast beef and gravy recipe for fifty, serves 50
A third of a cup converts to just over 3 oz. 2 quarts = 64 oz which is 1/2 gal or 16 cups. (These are liquid conversions).

Back
Top Bottom